RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] law enforcement.

  • Wayne Lind
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 28, 2009
      I have a pre printed card that describes Geocaching to non cachers that I can give out. There are also brochures you can download from the internet. The best solution is to simple show the officer the cache. Once they see what is inside, they usually don't have a problem. I have had numerous encounters with law enforcement, and the only time I ended up in handcuffs was at my own request (Long story). There are more and more officers who know about geocaching as well, and any time you can educate an officer, that is one less person who may run into problems.

      Sorry about the PI. I'm pretty sensitive to it as well.
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 31, 2009
        Never been harassed in TX but made a trip last year to MN for a wedding. While staying at the grooms apt I decided I could sneak out for an hour to find a series of caches along their light rail system.
        Well, I was back at the home station where I left the closest for last. Im sitting out there for a good 30 minutes looking in the bushes near the train platform. And then things get nasty.
        This was the same weekend of the Republican National Convention and the police/security staging was right next door to the apt and the cops/troopers were walking the 3 blocks to the convention center.
        So im digging around the bushes mumbling and cursing for this stupid little container when I feel a tapping on my back. Scares the poo outta me! I get up and i see 5 of Minneapolis' finest surrounding me.
        I gave them the rundown of the game and I  dont think I did a good enough job of convincing them. Eventually they told me that I gotta get going for 'security reasons' (this cache has been there for a couple years, hardly a security concern). I begged for 10 more minutes to find this dadgum thing. They luckily granted 10 minutes while 2 officers stuck around to watch me.
        Never did find that cache, but at least I got a nice safe, secure escort back to the apt. Quite hilarious when I walk into the apt of the groom and I have two cops asking "do you know this guy?" to which my best friends answered "NO!"
        ...but thats a whole nother story.

        Bob Nussbaum
        imapylet