Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Cache removal ethics

  • xdeaf4lifex@att.blackberry.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 28 11:55 AM
      Well I think you should allow other cacher to hide or feel you trust one person will do worthy take care of ur cache

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: "rhouston0405"
      Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:55:21 -0000
      To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Cache removal ethics

      Hey all,

      I wanted to ask an etiquette question about removing a cache. (This is a cache that I hid; I'm not out removing other folks' caches!) I'm going to be moving to another part of town and I don't want to have to maintain a cache that is very inconvenient for me to get to. I know plenty of others are comfortable leaving hides in places that are difficult for them to get to in case it needs maintenance. But I'm just not very comfortable with that. It's got my name on it and I want to make sure I can stand by it. Plus I'm also thinking that I would be vacating space for another enterprising hider to make a new hide in what I think is a pretty cool park.

      So my question to the group is: Are these acceptable reasons to remove a cache? There is an assumption that when you place a cache that it's supposed to be reasonably permanent. I'm just curious what criteria you all use when deciding to take a cache back from the wild.

      P.S. The cache in question is GC18G7F.

    • rhouston0405

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 28 11:59 AM
          Remember. If cacher found this a lot suggest give one person who know cacher and more trustworth.

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: "electric_water_boy"
          Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:59:44 -0000
          To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Cache removal ethics

          If it's getting found a bunch I'd put it up for adoption. Otherwise, archive it.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "rhouston0405" <rhouston@.. .> wrote:

          > Hey all,
          >
          > I wanted to ask an etiquette question about removing a cache. (This is a cache that I hid; I'm not out removing other folks' caches!) I'm going to be moving to another part of town and I don't want to have to maintain a cache that is very inconvenient for me to get to. I know plenty of others are comfortable leaving hides in places that are difficult for them to get to in case it needs maintenance. But I'm just not very comfortable with that. It's got my name on it and I want to make sure I can stand by it. Plus I'm also thinking that I would be vacating space for another enterprising hider to make a new hide in what I think is a pretty cool park.
          >
          > So my question to the group is: Are these acceptable reasons to remove a cache? There is an assumption that when you place a cache that it's supposed to be reasonably permanent. I'm just curious what criteria you all use when deciding to take a cache back from the wild.
          >
          > P.S. The cache in question is GC18G7F.

        • electric_water_boy
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 28 11:59 AM

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 28 12:07 PM
              No

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: Mark Benson
              Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:07:55 -0500
              To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

              "So my question to the group is: Are these acceptable reasons to remove a cache?"

              Here's the answer in a nutshell:
              It's your cache.  You don't need a good reason.  Cache removal isn't subject to review like cache publication is.

              Mark
              (BewareOfPenguin)

            • Mark Benson

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 28 12:13 PM

                  I don't think there is a set criteria, except that you need to be within the general area to maintain it.  Looking at the logs (mind you, the fact that I haven't found it yet has NO bearing on my advice! <G>), it appears that it has required no maintenance since it was hidden.  Plus, there are plenty of north Austin Metro cachers to go out if there is a true problem.  So, I ask, why archive it?  If it is reliably reported as missing, that would be a good time to archive it.

                  My $0.02 and that ain't worth what it used to be!

                  Russ the waterweasel

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 28 12:16 PM

                    I know that I've been waiting for the weather to be a bit cooler to hit this one and Chicken Coop.  If you are going to archive it, warn me and I'll go out some cool morning . . .

                    Thanks!

                    Russ the waterweasel

[...]

                  • Mrs. Captain Picard

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 28 12:57 PM
                        You can archive a cache for any reason you like -- nobody's business but
                        your own.
                        YOUR reasons, here, are perfectly good ones, however.
                        If you don't feel up to maintaining a cache, it's a kindness to free the
                        spot.
                        Now, if it's a really GOOD cache, you can offer it up for adoption to
                        someone more convenient to it.

                        But it's all up to you -- and don't feel you need a consensus. =gentle
                        smile=

                        Tygress/Barb

                        On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:55:21 -0000 "rhouston0405"
                        <rhouston@...> writes:
                        > Hey all,
                        >
                        > I wanted to ask an etiquette question about removing a cache. (This
                        > is a cache that I hid; I'm not out removing other folks' caches!)
                        > I'm going to be moving to another part of town and I don't want to
                        > have to maintain a cache that is very inconvenient for me to get to.
                        > I know plenty of others are comfortable leaving hides in places
                        > that are difficult for them to get to in case it needs maintenance.
                        > But I'm just not very comfortable with that. It's got my name on it
                        > and I want to make sure I can stand by it. Plus I'm also thinking
                        > that I would be vacating space for another enterprising hider to
                        > make a new hide in what I think is a pretty cool park.
                        >
                        > So my question to the group is: Are these acceptable reasons to
                        > remove a cache? There is an assumption that when you place a cache
                        > that it's supposed to be reasonably permanent. I'm just curious
                        > what criteria you all use when deciding to take a cache back from
                        > the wild.
                        >
                        > P.S. The cache in question is GC18G7F.

                        The distance thought travels in a second is infinitely greater than the
                        distance light travels in a year …only it tends to spiral, so it gets
                        nowhere fast.
                        ---Brooke McEldowney
                        Pharmacy Assistant School
                        Earn a Pharmacy Technician Degree. Get free info and Apply Today!
                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=kB6a-eJW8Fa1JSmAcOmdTwAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAQAAAAFAAAAAKwcGj4AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAE2V3AAAAAA==
                      • electric_water_boy
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 28 1:56 PM
                          Are you feeling ill? Have you seen a doctor lately? Your friends are concerned!

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 28 3:58 PM
                            I appreciate all the responses. Just like everything else regarding geocaching there are a variety of opinions! I think I'd like to find somebody to adopt it. As for finding somebody I trust, I'm not the most social of geocachers therefore I've never met any of you folks in person. Anybody out there in the NW Austin / Cedar Park area feel like adopting this cache?

                            BTW, forgot to sign my original post with my real name and geo-name.

                            Ross
                            rhouston
                          • Wayne Lind

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 28 9:43 PM
                                I would find it and willing to apdot it

                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                From: "Wayne Lind"
                                Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 23:43:29 -0500
                                To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 2, 2009
                                  Wayne was kind enough to adopt this cache for me, so it lives on! Thanks, Wayne. Hey, can I now log a find for what was previously my own cache? :-)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 3, 2009
                                    only if you WANT to
                                    -B/Tygress

                                    Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!