Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Explaining High Numbers Cachers in the US ??

  • Maria "theJump"
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2009
      I'm going to add to this too ... I recently moved from Austin to Pennsylvania ... and I have noticed a significant difference in the caches.  As Wayne pointed out ... there are very few park and grab caches here (though they call them cache and dash).  The few geocachers I have met have basically told me that under no circumstance should I hide a cache in a lamp skirt or a guard rail.  Now this type of cache exists, but they are by far the minority of the caches.

      Instead, the caches require hiking through wilderness areas ... a 2-terrain here is between a 1-3 mile hike round trip.  I've seen 3 terrains that were up to 8 miles round trip.  Compound this with the fact that there is only the one cache on your hike and you end up with a lot fewer caches in a day that I did in Texas.  In fact, I've been thinking the 100 cache goal that I set for myself before I hide any may be a little high as it may be quite a while before I get there.

      I haven't been here for a winter yet but I have met a couple of folks that say caching via snowshoes or cross country skis is a lot of fun ... but that even a 1.5 difficulty becomes a 5 ... I can't wait to try it ...

      -Maria / TheJump

      There are differences within this country as well, beyond the cache density of the area. My dad lives up in the Northeast part of the country, and they have as many if not more caches then we do here, but the cachers in that area don't have huge numbers of cache finds. When you look at the types of caches in their area, you find a lot of hiking caches, plenty of multi caches and an obscene number of puzzle caches. What you don't see are the park and grab caches that are so prolific here in Central Texas. In New England where they have snow and wintery weather for 4-5 months of the year, the puzzles are a way to stay in the game without freezing to death while staying in the game. They typically disdain park and grab caches as useless. Of course, they don't deal with 100 degree days very often, and if they did, maybe they would appreciate skirt lifters as we do. We also don't have the burden of snow to contend with, so with us we can cache year round. Of course, being dedicated, and a little crazy doesn't hurt.