2 volunteer and geocaching opportunties!

  • Pam Tobias
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2009
      I hope y'all will tolerate another note from me about volunteer opportunities at races.  I'm only bringing you the ones that I think complement geocaching.  If you think I'm spamming the list, tell me and I'll stop.  And I'd also say that I have absolutely zero expectation that anybody should sign up.  I'm just putting it out here for your consideration.  If you think it sounds like fun, do it!  If not, cache on!

      With that said, I'm back again with two weekends of races from Red Licorice Events for which we're looking for volunteers.  Volunteer at any event and you'll get a free T-shirt, free food, and you'll earn volunteer points that you can apply towards merchandise and race entry fees.  And if you volunteer for at least 3 events, you have a chance to win a mountain bike at the end of the year!  Manny "HandsOff" has 2 events under his belt already!

      The first race is the Sweet & Twisted Duathlon on September 12-13 at the Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort, TX, near San Antonio.  This is not your usual volunteer opportunity.  A duathlon is like a triathlon, but without the swimming.  The athletes run, then bike, then run again.  Come on Saturday for the pre-race clinics and festivities, come on Sunday for the race itself, or make it a cheap vacation, bring the camping gear, and stay for the whole weekend!  There are trails for running and mountain biking in your spare time.  We'll have BBQ and live music Saturday night.  I did a quick query and while I don't think there are any caches on the ranch itself, since it's private property, there are 174 geocaches within a 20 mile radius of Comfort!  We need help not only on the race weekend but on Thursday Sept 10 and Monday Sept 14 too.  We have openings in all the usual spots like setup, human cones, water stops, food/beverage, teardown, and more.  This race benefits the Bikes for Kids program, sponsored by Mix 94.7.

           For more information about the event - http://www.redlicoriceevents.com/events/SweetTwistedDU09.html
           Sign up to volunteer - http://www.signmeup.com/66563

      Second and even more important is the Dude Girl Women's Olympic Triathlon on September 20 at Pace Bend Park on Lake Travis.  Why more important?  Our very own SEMIK is racing!  It's her first Olympic distance tri and she's been training her heart out in this insane heat!  This is a longer race, with distances of 1500 meter swim, 40K bike and 10K run.  Come out and cheer for her!  Be a human cone on the bike or run course and cheer her on!  Man a water stop and keep her hydrated or pour water on her head.  Work the finish line and celebrate when she comes across!  I hope she doesn't mind that I'm shamelessly using her to get y'all to come out but you know she'd be super motivated and happy if she had a big fan club!  Come on, HiDude's, this one's for you!  We'll rename it the HiDude Girl Tri just for you!  And as a bonus, I count 38 geocaches in the park itself, not counting any on the way to and from.  Many of them are Maria "The Jump"'s Middle Earth series of caches.  This race benefits the the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and the Young Survival Coalition for breast cancer survivors.

           For more information about the event - http://www.redlicoriceevents.com/events/womenonlytri.html
           Sign up to volunteer - http://www.signmeup.com/66508

      Contact me if you have any questions!

      Pam/pblt