Re: Thanks for the warm (hot) welcome!

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
      > That's all right -- we'll just play games with the local place name
      > pronunciations.
      > It's a local versus newcomer trick.
      > [[I think they do it on purpose.]]

      Is Austin as nuts as San Antonio?
      We're in Bexar (pronounced Bear) county.
      We have a street called De Zavala (pronounced Days of Allah)
      We have a street called Huebner (pronounced Heeb Ner)

      Don't get me started here, this could go on for days!
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
        On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:48:23 -0000 "electric_water_boy"
        <electric_water_boy@...> writes:
        > > That's all right -- we'll just play games with the local place
        > name
        > > pronunciations.
        > > It's a local versus newcomer trick.
        > > [[I think they do it on purpose.]]
        >
        > Is Austin as nuts as San Antonio?

        It's a Texas Thang....

        And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
        And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
        mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
        before you get to
        Manor (May-Nor)
        Seguin (Suh-Geen)
        Greune (Green)
        Boerne (Bern)
        Montague..... (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
        Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

        There was an article on just this phenom in a recent Texas Highways....
        well, recent could be any time in the past 6 months, I get to these
        things slowly.

        > We're in Bexar (pronounced Bear) county.

        really, not bee-har? See, you can tell I"m not a local already!

        > We have a street called De Zavala (pronounced Days of Allah)
        > We have a street called Huebner (pronounced Heeb Ner)
        >
        > Don't get me started here, this could go on for days!

        so it could, so it could....

        Can't throw too many unanswered stones -- we've got some doozies in the
        Pacific NorthWet.
        And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.

        Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....

        more fun in the regionalisms! Tygress
        Purify your water with professional water treatment. Click now!
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTK8PJI93gsncbORqHkloOYbWqNw2c1foFNJzFLJY8pXtFux4qaiSM/
      • electric_water_boy
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
          > And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.
          >
          > Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....

          That one's easy. He shot da Bur (bear) over thar and it went thud when it hit da ground, so we call dat place Burthud Pass, doe it should be called Burthud Don't Pass cause dat der Bur weren't a goin no whar after he was shot.
        • Mike Detlefsen
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
            Don't forget:

            Pedernales as Purdenales
            Manchaca as Manshack

            Mike
            jmd65

            Barb Jernigan wrote:

            > It's a Texas Thang....
            >
            > And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
            > And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
            > mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
            > before you get to
            > Manor (May-Nor)
            > Seguin (Suh-Geen)
            > Greune (Green)
            > Boerne (Bern)
            > Montague..... (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
            > Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

          • manny jimenez
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
              How can we forge one of the most common and well traveled roads here in Austin:

              Guadalupe pronounced (Gwah-da-loop)

              handsoff

              > And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
              > And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
              > mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
              > before you get to
              > Manor (May-Nor)
              > Seguin (Suh-Geen)
              > Greune (Green)
              > Boerne (Bern)
              > Montague.... . (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
              > Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

            • Vicki L. Almstrum
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                And Burn-it (Burnet), durn it!!

                -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

              • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                  I think I like these folks already! ha ha ha

                  In a message dated 8/3/2009 9:47:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time, iris.haubrich@... writes:
                  And a question for Lee; what is an Aggie? We checked wikipedia of course, but too many options... unless you are somehow related to a comic character. Which would be fine of course, but we are real Garfield fans
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                    On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:25:34 -0000 "electric_water_boy"
                    <electric_water_boy@...> writes:
                    > > And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.
                    > >
                    > > Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....
                    >
                    > That one's easy. He shot da Bur (bear) over thar and it went thud
                    > when it hit da ground, so we call dat place Burthud Pass, doe it
                    > should be called Burthud Don't Pass cause dat der Bur weren't a goin
                    > no whar after he was shot.

                    Dunno, sometimes dem burs, they gets up afters they goes 'thud' an' they
                    ain't none too happy 'bout bein' shot, neither....

                    nope.

                    Sometime you get me to tell you about the bur that when thud and din't
                    stay thudded.
                    Was a buck oncet did the same thing.... nope, one UNHAPPY camper that
                    buck was, and willin' to show a human a thing or two 'bout knockin'
                    critters down.
                    Get your dream car or truck. Click here.
                    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLa8tT7SC5vQiZxVHVDktdDVZbjGKDBRAFm5ewD7Q3OfHwvsJNJKI/
                  • A Allen (SEMIK)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                      Oh my gosh, Tom and Barb -- I've now laughed so hard I have to explain to my coworkers why...

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                        Just consider it our sweet little revenge....
                        =g=

                        On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:49:14 -0000 "A Allen (SEMIK)"
                        <al_allen327@...> writes:
                        > Oh my gosh, Tom and Barb -- I've now laughed so hard I have to
                        > explain to my coworkers why...
                        >
                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan
                        > <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

                        > > > That one's easy. He shot da Bur (bear) over thar and it went
                        > thud
                        > > > when it hit da ground, so we call dat place Burthud Pass, doe it
                        >
                        > > > should be called Burthud Don't Pass cause dat der Bur weren't a
                        > goin
                        > > > no whar after he was shot.
                        > > >

                        > > Dunno, sometimes dem burs, they gets up afters they goes 'thud'
                        > an' they
                        > > ain't none too happy 'bout bein' shot, neither....
                        > >
                        > > nope.
                        > >
                        > > Sometime you get me to tell you about the bur that when thud and
                        > din't
                        > > stay thudded.
                        > > Was a buck oncet did the same thing.... nope, one UNHAPPY camper
                        > that
                        > > buck was, and willin' to show a human a thing or two 'bout
                        > knockin'
                        > > critters down.
                        > > Get your dream car or truck. Click here.

                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLa8tT7SC5vQiZxVHVDktdD
                        VZbjGKDBRAFm5ewD7Q3OfHwvsJNJKI/

                        The distance thought travels in a second is infinitely greater than the
                        distance light travels in a year …only it tends to spiral, so it gets
                        nowhere fast.
                        ---Brooke McEldowney
                        Senior Dating Online. Click Now!
                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTQbQZBquYVP9mMWdJlSaFutVRAoPHXBN4xMIS60LRCsfxUJ0EX59O/
                      • electric_water_boy
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                          > Sometime you get me to tell you about the bur that when thud and din't
                          > stay thudded.

                          Heard on an episode of Icenrye's Videozine where a cacher took off with the cache because there was a bear there. Geez, wait that sucker out and put the cache back. You'd think they have chupracabras up there.
                        • Barbara Dukette
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                            Did you mean Gwah-da-loop-ay?

                            How can we forge one of the most common and well traveled roads here in Austin:

                            Guadalupe pronounced (Gwah-da-loop)

                            handsoff

                            > And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
                            > And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
                            > mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
                            > before you get to
                            > Manor (May-Nor)
                            > Seguin (Suh-Geen)
                            > Greune (Green)
                            > Boerne (Bern)
                            > Montague.... . (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
                            > Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

                          • Wayne Lind
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                              An Aggie is a student or graduate of Texas A&M university, located in College Station. About 90 miles east of Austin.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 4, 2009
                                I think that'a Wad-Ah-Lou-Pee