Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Thanks for the warm (hot) welcome!

  • shawnolsen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
      I'll answer section by section :)

      In a message dated 8/3/2009 9:47:33 A.M. Central Daylight Time, iris.haubrich@... writes:

      Thanks so much for all your messages. After receiving the offer letter etc from work, moving to Austin suddenly sounded very scary, but all your positive responses made us feel a lot better.
      We don't know when our first visit to Austin will be exactly, but probably somewhere at the end of this month, we'll try to delay it as much as possible, so we won't be too shocked by the difference in temperature! After that visit it will probably take another month or so before the actual move.

      **As a Dane that who Copenhagen-Phoenix AZ and later Detroit MI-Austin TX  I promise you, that even you will get used to the heat! Make sure to drink LOTS of WATER**

      So the upcoming geocaching event is too early, but when someone is planning an event in September in Austin, please let us know the date as soon as possible, so we can include it in our travel plans!

      About bringing some cool temperatures and rain:
      No rain!!!!
      Overhere we have plenty of rain, that's why we have so much more vacation days compared to you, just to get away from it several weeks a year! But we'll make sure to bring our garden hose and you're always welcome to a nice outdoor shower at our place ;-)
      For the heat, that's really scary, we don't do well with heat. If we have 5 consecutive days with a temperature of at least 25C (77F,298 K),of which 3 are above 30C (86F, 303K) we already have an official heat wave. This happens about once every 2 years...

      I guess we have 6 seasons as well: winter, spring, almost-summer, again-no-real- summer, sauna-summer and autumn. Sauna summer is the worst period, then it's above 25C and raining, which means it feels like you're in a sauna. Or for the zoologically inclined: when the tropical fish start to evolute and create lungs to get out of the water and mankind starts thinking of building up Atlantis again to be able to stay under water. (we're happy to notice geocache humor is the same all over the world)

      ** For you at first Austin will have two seasons: HOT and HOTTER than HELL!**
      Thanks for informing us about winter. We noted 3 Feb from 2-7 pm for putting up a christmas tree, but do they still sell them (the real ones) with those high temperatures?

      **Yes you can buy real Christmas trees!!! They are usually UGLY and with very few needles come Christmas ;)**

      Reading the messages it seems we won't be the only Europeans in this group, Shawn: you are from Norway or Denmark? Or did you think the Netherlands were a part of Scandinavia (which wouldn't surprise us either, we heard the strangest things about the Netherlands when we travel and speak with americans, like that it is the capitol of Denmark etc.). Don't worry by the way, you can make fun of our lack of knowledge on where all the states of America are located, we can handle it...
      ** I'm a Dane :)  ... I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the general knowledge of the people you run into over here (unless you hang out with the wrong crowd ** I find my fellow Danes to be a more narrow minded than the average American, but then again Danes know everything ...j/k !

      But it brings us also to a more important question (;-): will the logo at the start of this group be adjusted after for instance our 100th find or our very first own geocache in Texas?

      And a question for Lee; what is an Aggie? We checked wikipedia of course, but too many options... unless you are somehow related to a comic character. Which would be fine of course, but we are real Garfield fans (you should see our collection, that alone needs a container to ship our goods by the way).

      ***Aggies are from Texas A&M University ...But since I went to a PAC10 University I'll let the ones with axes to grind discuss the LONGHORN vs. AGGIE issue...***

      Well in the mean time we'll keep track of you on this group, for instance wondering already about the food after reading the recipe for corn casserole... .Our typical Dutch dishes are mostly suited for winter time, so I guess we know what we will eat on Feb. 3!

      greetings,
      irisisleuk (irisisnice here, and in real life Iris & Maurice)

      ***I think you can ask questions about the Austin area (where to live etc.) here as we have representatives in most the areas!!!***

      My  $0.02 ,
      Shawn/S6sputnik

    • electric_water_boy
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
        > That's all right -- we'll just play games with the local place name
        > pronunciations.
        > It's a local versus newcomer trick.
        > [[I think they do it on purpose.]]

        Is Austin as nuts as San Antonio?
        We're in Bexar (pronounced Bear) county.
        We have a street called De Zavala (pronounced Days of Allah)
        We have a street called Huebner (pronounced Heeb Ner)

        Don't get me started here, this could go on for days!
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
          On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:48:23 -0000 "electric_water_boy"
          <electric_water_boy@...> writes:
          > > That's all right -- we'll just play games with the local place
          > name
          > > pronunciations.
          > > It's a local versus newcomer trick.
          > > [[I think they do it on purpose.]]
          >
          > Is Austin as nuts as San Antonio?

          It's a Texas Thang....

          And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
          And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
          mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
          before you get to
          Manor (May-Nor)
          Seguin (Suh-Geen)
          Greune (Green)
          Boerne (Bern)
          Montague..... (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
          Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

          There was an article on just this phenom in a recent Texas Highways....
          well, recent could be any time in the past 6 months, I get to these
          things slowly.

          > We're in Bexar (pronounced Bear) county.

          really, not bee-har? See, you can tell I"m not a local already!

          > We have a street called De Zavala (pronounced Days of Allah)
          > We have a street called Huebner (pronounced Heeb Ner)
          >
          > Don't get me started here, this could go on for days!

          so it could, so it could....

          Can't throw too many unanswered stones -- we've got some doozies in the
          Pacific NorthWet.
          And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.

          Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....

          more fun in the regionalisms! Tygress
          Purify your water with professional water treatment. Click now!
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTK8PJI93gsncbORqHkloOYbWqNw2c1foFNJzFLJY8pXtFux4qaiSM/
        • electric_water_boy
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
            > And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.
            >
            > Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....

            That one's easy. He shot da Bur (bear) over thar and it went thud when it hit da ground, so we call dat place Burthud Pass, doe it should be called Burthud Don't Pass cause dat der Bur weren't a goin no whar after he was shot.
          • Mike Detlefsen
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
              Don't forget:

              Pedernales as Purdenales
              Manchaca as Manshack

              Mike
              jmd65

              Barb Jernigan wrote:

              > It's a Texas Thang....
              >
              > And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
              > And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
              > mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
              > before you get to
              > Manor (May-Nor)
              > Seguin (Suh-Geen)
              > Greune (Green)
              > Boerne (Bern)
              > Montague..... (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
              > Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

            • manny jimenez
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                How can we forge one of the most common and well traveled roads here in Austin:

                Guadalupe pronounced (Gwah-da-loop)

                handsoff

                > And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
                > And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
                > mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
                > before you get to
                > Manor (May-Nor)
                > Seguin (Suh-Geen)
                > Greune (Green)
                > Boerne (Bern)
                > Montague.... . (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
                > Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

              • Vicki L. Almstrum
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                  And Burn-it (Burnet), durn it!!

                  -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                    I think I like these folks already! ha ha ha

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                      On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:25:34 -0000 "electric_water_boy"
                      <electric_water_boy@...> writes:
                      > > And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.
                      > >
                      > > Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....
                      >
                      > That one's easy. He shot da Bur (bear) over thar and it went thud
                      > when it hit da ground, so we call dat place Burthud Pass, doe it
                      > should be called Burthud Don't Pass cause dat der Bur weren't a goin
                      > no whar after he was shot.

                      Dunno, sometimes dem burs, they gets up afters they goes 'thud' an' they
                      ain't none too happy 'bout bein' shot, neither....

                      nope.

                      Sometime you get me to tell you about the bur that when thud and din't
                      stay thudded.
                      Was a buck oncet did the same thing.... nope, one UNHAPPY camper that
                      buck was, and willin' to show a human a thing or two 'bout knockin'
                      critters down.
                      Get your dream car or truck. Click here.
                      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLa8tT7SC5vQiZxVHVDktdDVZbjGKDBRAFm5ewD7Q3OfHwvsJNJKI/
                    • A Allen (SEMIK)
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                        Oh my gosh, Tom and Barb -- I've now laughed so hard I have to explain to my coworkers why...

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                          Just consider it our sweet little revenge....
                          =g=

                          On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:49:14 -0000 "A Allen (SEMIK)"
                          <al_allen327@...> writes:
                          > Oh my gosh, Tom and Barb -- I've now laughed so hard I have to
                          > explain to my coworkers why...
                          >
                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan
                          > <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

                          > > > That one's easy. He shot da Bur (bear) over thar and it went
                          > thud
                          > > > when it hit da ground, so we call dat place Burthud Pass, doe it
                          >
                          > > > should be called Burthud Don't Pass cause dat der Bur weren't a
                          > goin
                          > > > no whar after he was shot.
                          > > >

                          > > Dunno, sometimes dem burs, they gets up afters they goes 'thud'
                          > an' they
                          > > ain't none too happy 'bout bein' shot, neither....
                          > >
                          > > nope.
                          > >
                          > > Sometime you get me to tell you about the bur that when thud and
                          > din't
                          > > stay thudded.
                          > > Was a buck oncet did the same thing.... nope, one UNHAPPY camper
                          > that
                          > > buck was, and willin' to show a human a thing or two 'bout
                          > knockin'
                          > > critters down.
                          > > Get your dream car or truck. Click here.

                          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLa8tT7SC5vQiZxVHVDktdD
                          VZbjGKDBRAFm5ewD7Q3OfHwvsJNJKI/

                          The distance thought travels in a second is infinitely greater than the
                          distance light travels in a year …only it tends to spiral, so it gets
                          nowhere fast.
                          ---Brooke McEldowney
                          Senior Dating Online. Click Now!
                          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTQbQZBquYVP9mMWdJlSaFutVRAoPHXBN4xMIS60LRCsfxUJ0EX59O/
                        • electric_water_boy
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                            > Sometime you get me to tell you about the bur that when thud and din't
                            > stay thudded.

                            Heard on an episode of Icenrye's Videozine where a cacher took off with the cache because there was a bear there. Geez, wait that sucker out and put the cache back. You'd think they have chupracabras up there.
                          • Barbara Dukette
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                              Did you mean Gwah-da-loop-ay?

                              How can we forge one of the most common and well traveled roads here in Austin:

                              Guadalupe pronounced (Gwah-da-loop)

                              handsoff

                              > And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
                              > And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
                              > mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
                              > before you get to
                              > Manor (May-Nor)
                              > Seguin (Suh-Geen)
                              > Greune (Green)
                              > Boerne (Bern)
                              > Montague.... . (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
                              > Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

                            • Wayne Lind
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                                An Aggie is a student or graduate of Texas A&M university, located in College Station. About 90 miles east of Austin.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 4, 2009
                                  I think that'a Wad-Ah-Lou-Pee