Thanks for the warm (hot) welcome!

  • irisisnice
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
      Thanks so much for all your messages. After receiving the offer letter etc from work, moving to Austin suddenly sounded very scary, but all your positive responses made us feel a lot better.
      We don't know when our first visit to Austin will be exactly, but probably somewhere at the end of this month, we'll try to delay it as much as possible, so we won't be too shocked by the difference in temperature! After that visit it will probably take another month or so before the actual move.

      So the upcoming geocaching event is too early, but when someone is planning an event in September in Austin, please let us know the date as soon as possible, so we can include it in our travel plans!

      About bringing some cool temperatures and rain:
      No rain!!!!
      Overhere we have plenty of rain, that's why we have so much more vacation days compared to you, just to get away from it several weeks a year! But we'll make sure to bring our garden hose and you're always welcome to a nice outdoor shower at our place ;-)
      For the heat, that's really scary, we don't do well with heat. If we have 5 consecutive days with a temperature of at least 25C (77F,298 K),of which 3 are above 30C (86F, 303K) we already have an official heat wave. This happens about once every 2 years...

      I guess we have 6 seasons as well: winter, spring, almost-summer, again-no-real-summer, sauna-summer and autumn. Sauna summer is the worst period, then it's above 25C and raining, which means it feels like you're in a sauna. Or for the zoologically inclined: when the tropical fish start to evolute and create lungs to get out of the water and mankind starts thinking of building up Atlantis again to be able to stay under water. (we're happy to notice geocache humor is the same all over the world)
      Thanks for informing us about winter. We noted 3 Feb from 2-7 pm for putting up a christmas tree, but do they still sell them (the real ones) with those high temperatures?

      Reading the messages it seems we won't be the only Europeans in this group, Shawn: you are from Norway or Denmark? Or did you think the Netherlands were a part of Scandinavia (which wouldn't surprise us either, we heard the strangest things about the Netherlands when we travel and speak with americans, like that it is the capitol of Denmark etc.). Don't worry by the way, you can make fun of our lack of knowledge on where all the states of America are located, we can handle it...
      But it brings us also to a more important question (;-): will the logo at the start of this group be adjusted after for instance our 100th find or our very first own geocache in Texas?

      And a question for Lee; what is an Aggie? We checked wikipedia of course, but too many options... unless you are somehow related to a comic character. Which would be fine of course, but we are real Garfield fans (you should see our collection, that alone needs a container to ship our goods by the way).

      Well in the mean time we'll keep track of you on this group, for instance wondering already about the food after reading the recipe for corn casserole....Our typical Dutch dishes are mostly suited for winter time, so I guess we know what we will eat on Feb. 3!

      greetings,
      irisisleuk (irisisnice here, and in real life Iris & Maurice)
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009

        Welcome and we'll be looking forward to meeting you in person.  But, PLEASE bring the rain with you!  We are SERIOUSLY in a major drought and need it desperately! (Wish I could grin when I write that . . .)

        Russ the waterweasel

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
          On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:41:24 -0000 "irisisnice" <iris.haubrich@...>
          writes:
          > Thanks so much for all your messages. After receiving the offer
          > letter etc from work, moving to Austin suddenly sounded very scary,
          > but all your positive responses made us feel a lot better.
          > We don't know when our first visit to Austin will be exactly, but
          > probably somewhere at the end of this month, we'll try to delay it
          > as much as possible, so we won't be too shocked by the difference in
          > temperature! After that visit it will probably take another month or
          > so before the actual move.
          >
          > So the upcoming geocaching event is too early, but when someone is
          > planning an event in September in Austin, please let us know the
          > date as soon as possible, so we can include it in our travel plans!

          The other option is to let US know when you're coming, and we'll have a
          Welcome to Austin event just for you!
          We're that kind of crowd.

          > About bringing some cool temperatures and rain:
          > No rain!!!!

          Ah, but we're Desperate.
          The entire economy is cratering because we haven't had decent rain in
          over a year.
          Cattle are dying, crops aren't even starting.
          True, we only need a month of monsoon.... but it can't come soon enough.

          > Overhere we have plenty of rain, that's why we have so much more
          > vacation days compared to you, just to get away from it several
          > weeks a year! But we'll make sure to bring our garden hose and
          > you're always welcome to a nice outdoor shower at our place ;-)
          > For the heat, that's really scary, we don't do well with heat. If we
          > have 5 consecutive days with a temperature of at least 25C (77F,298
          > K),of which 3 are above 30C (86F, 303K) we already have an official
          > heat wave. This happens about once every 2 years...

          The difference is, of course, here you have Air Conditioning. Everywhere.
          Coming from Colorado and the San Francisco area, the thing we learned
          here in Austin is that appreciation of the seasons is reversed.
          Things we'd do THERE in high summer, we do HERE in mid winter.
          It's summer when we all slow down.
          Over time you adjust some -- take it from me (not a fan of heat, no no
          no) -- but we all reserve the right to whine.

          > I guess we have 6 seasons as well: winter, spring, almost-summer,
          > again-no-real-summer, sauna-summer and autumn. Sauna summer is the
          > worst period, then it's above 25C and raining, which means it feels
          > like you're in a sauna. Or for the zoologically inclined: when the
          > tropical fish start to evolute and create lungs to get out of the
          > water and mankind starts thinking of building up Atlantis again to
          > be able to stay under water. (we're happy to notice geocache humor
          > is the same all over the world)

          Heee!
          Well, the humidity, when we have it, won't bother you then.

          > Thanks for informing us about winter. We noted 3 Feb from 2-7 pm for
          > putting up a christmas tree, but do they still sell them (the real
          > ones) with those high temperatures?

          Serious answer: Yup. But you buy from a lot, not cut your own.

          > Reading the messages it seems we won't be the only Europeans in this
          > group, Shawn: you are from Norway or Denmark? Or did you think the
          > Netherlands were a part of Scandinavia (which wouldn't surprise us
          > either, we heard the strangest things about the Netherlands when we
          > travel and speak with americans, like that it is the capitol of
          > Denmark etc.).

          LOL!

          We do have the FiedoGang who are from Sweden.
          And Tauchmeize (sp) is from Deutchland.
          Lignumaqua is from England -- just which bit, I don't know.
          Slytherin is from Yorkshire.
          Soaring Eagle (Arnaud) is French (or are you French Canadian?)
          And that's just off the top of my head.

          Austin, well, with all our high tech ("Silicon Gulch") brings folks in
          from all over.

          But, on the whole, these are the friendliest group of folks (not just the
          cachers) I've encountered in our many moves.

          > Don't worry by the way, you can make fun of our lack
          > of knowledge on where all the states of America are located, we can
          > handle it...

          That's all right -- we'll just play games with the local place name
          pronunciations.
          It's a local versus newcomer trick.
          [[I think they do it on purpose.]]

          > But it brings us also to a more important question (;-): will the
          > logo at the start of this group be adjusted after for instance our
          > 100th find or our very first own geocache in Texas?

          can't answer that....

          > And a question for Lee; what is an Aggie?

          LOL.
          Now THAT we'd better educate you on.

          Austin is the home of the University of Texas -- aka UT aka the
          Longhorns. Most folks around here 'bleed' burnt orange (Sports,
          particularly football -- that would be the American version, not soccer,
          though a lot of that gets played, too) -- Burnt Orange and white being
          the UT colors.
          Them's that don't bleed burnt orange bleed this specific shade of Aggie
          magenta, which is Texas A&M University. A mighty in-state rivalry follows
          -- you'll catch on fairly quickly (you can't help it). You'll also hear
          some trash-talk about the Oklahoma Sooners (University of Oklahoma or
          OU).

          Now Waterweasel (Russ) and I (Barb/Tygress) are Aggies as well -- but
          we're Cal Aggies from University of California at Davis. So we bleed blue
          and gold (when we pay attention). =laugh!=

          It's ok, the culture shock isn't THAT bad... you'll have more fun with
          the local cuisine.

          > Well in the mean time we'll keep track of you on this group, for
          > instance wondering already about the food after reading the recipe
          > for corn casserole....Our typical Dutch dishes are mostly suited for
          > winter time, so I guess we know what we will eat on Feb. 3!

          The food is worth a few posts of its own....

          > greetings,
          > irisisleuk (irisisnice here, and in real life Iris & Maurice)

          Happy packing... you have my sympathies.

          BarbJ/Tygress ((only moved cross-country, not cross-ocean, and THAT was
          enough!!!))
          Click here for great quotes from top international movers!
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTMAuQGjaMluC4rFreuWCPF3kkN4JSYE1HVGqFurxnZR7XE3rj5JZG/
        • shawnolsen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
            I'll answer section by section :)

            In a message dated 8/3/2009 9:47:33 A.M. Central Daylight Time, iris.haubrich@... writes:

            Thanks so much for all your messages. After receiving the offer letter etc from work, moving to Austin suddenly sounded very scary, but all your positive responses made us feel a lot better.
            We don't know when our first visit to Austin will be exactly, but probably somewhere at the end of this month, we'll try to delay it as much as possible, so we won't be too shocked by the difference in temperature! After that visit it will probably take another month or so before the actual move.

            **As a Dane that who Copenhagen-Phoenix AZ and later Detroit MI-Austin TX  I promise you, that even you will get used to the heat! Make sure to drink LOTS of WATER**

[...]

            ** For you at first Austin will have two seasons: HOT and HOTTER than HELL!**
            Thanks for informing us about winter. We noted 3 Feb from 2-7 pm for putting up a christmas tree, but do they still sell them (the real ones) with those high temperatures?

            **Yes you can buy real Christmas trees!!! They are usually UGLY and with very few needles come Christmas ;)**

            Reading the messages it seems we won't be the only Europeans in this group, Shawn: you are from Norway or Denmark? Or did you think the Netherlands were a part of Scandinavia (which wouldn't surprise us either, we heard the strangest things about the Netherlands when we travel and speak with americans, like that it is the capitol of Denmark etc.). Don't worry by the way, you can make fun of our lack of knowledge on where all the states of America are located, we can handle it...
            ** I'm a Dane :)  ... I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the general knowledge of the people you run into over here (unless you hang out with the wrong crowd ** I find my fellow Danes to be a more narrow minded than the average American, but then again Danes know everything ...j/k !

            But it brings us also to a more important question (;-): will the logo at the start of this group be adjusted after for instance our 100th find or our very first own geocache in Texas?

            And a question for Lee; what is an Aggie? We checked wikipedia of course, but too many options... unless you are somehow related to a comic character. Which would be fine of course, but we are real Garfield fans (you should see our collection, that alone needs a container to ship our goods by the way).

            ***Aggies are from Texas A&M University ...But since I went to a PAC10 University I'll let the ones with axes to grind discuss the LONGHORN vs. AGGIE issue...***

            Well in the mean time we'll keep track of you on this group, for instance wondering already about the food after reading the recipe for corn casserole... .Our typical Dutch dishes are mostly suited for winter time, so I guess we know what we will eat on Feb. 3!

            greetings,
            irisisleuk (irisisnice here, and in real life Iris & Maurice)

            ***I think you can ask questions about the Austin area (where to live etc.) here as we have representatives in most the areas!!!***

            My  $0.02 ,
            Shawn/S6sputnik

          • electric_water_boy
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
              > That's all right -- we'll just play games with the local place name
              > pronunciations.
              > It's a local versus newcomer trick.
              > [[I think they do it on purpose.]]

              Is Austin as nuts as San Antonio?
              We're in Bexar (pronounced Bear) county.
              We have a street called De Zavala (pronounced Days of Allah)
              We have a street called Huebner (pronounced Heeb Ner)

              Don't get me started here, this could go on for days!
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:48:23 -0000 "electric_water_boy"
                <electric_water_boy@...> writes:
                > > That's all right -- we'll just play games with the local place
                > name
                > > pronunciations.
                > > It's a local versus newcomer trick.
                > > [[I think they do it on purpose.]]
                >
                > Is Austin as nuts as San Antonio?

                It's a Texas Thang....

                And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
                And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
                mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
                before you get to
                Manor (May-Nor)
                Seguin (Suh-Geen)
                Greune (Green)
                Boerne (Bern)
                Montague..... (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
                Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

                There was an article on just this phenom in a recent Texas Highways....
                well, recent could be any time in the past 6 months, I get to these
                things slowly.

                > We're in Bexar (pronounced Bear) county.

                really, not bee-har? See, you can tell I"m not a local already!

                > We have a street called De Zavala (pronounced Days of Allah)
                > We have a street called Huebner (pronounced Heeb Ner)
                >
                > Don't get me started here, this could go on for days!

                so it could, so it could....

                Can't throw too many unanswered stones -- we've got some doozies in the
                Pacific NorthWet.
                And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.

                Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....

                more fun in the regionalisms! Tygress
                Purify your water with professional water treatment. Click now!
                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTK8PJI93gsncbORqHkloOYbWqNw2c1foFNJzFLJY8pXtFux4qaiSM/
              • electric_water_boy
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                  > And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.
                  >
                  > Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....

                  That one's easy. He shot da Bur (bear) over thar and it went thud when it hit da ground, so we call dat place Burthud Pass, doe it should be called Burthud Don't Pass cause dat der Bur weren't a goin no whar after he was shot.
                • Mike Detlefsen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                    Don't forget:

                    Pedernales as Purdenales
                    Manchaca as Manshack

                    Mike
                    jmd65

                    Barb Jernigan wrote:

                    > It's a Texas Thang....
                    >
                    > And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
                    > And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
                    > mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
                    > before you get to
                    > Manor (May-Nor)
                    > Seguin (Suh-Geen)
                    > Greune (Green)
                    > Boerne (Bern)
                    > Montague..... (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
                    > Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

                  • manny jimenez
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                      How can we forge one of the most common and well traveled roads here in Austin:

                      Guadalupe pronounced (Gwah-da-loop)

                      handsoff

                      > And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
                      > And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
                      > mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
                      > before you get to
                      > Manor (May-Nor)
                      > Seguin (Suh-Geen)
                      > Greune (Green)
                      > Boerne (Bern)
                      > Montague.... . (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
                      > Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

                    • Vicki L. Almstrum
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                        And Burn-it (Burnet), durn it!!

                        -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                      • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                          I think I like these folks already! ha ha ha

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                            On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:25:34 -0000 "electric_water_boy"
                            <electric_water_boy@...> writes:
                            > > And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.
                            > >
                            > > Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....
                            >
                            > That one's easy. He shot da Bur (bear) over thar and it went thud
                            > when it hit da ground, so we call dat place Burthud Pass, doe it
                            > should be called Burthud Don't Pass cause dat der Bur weren't a goin
                            > no whar after he was shot.

                            Dunno, sometimes dem burs, they gets up afters they goes 'thud' an' they
                            ain't none too happy 'bout bein' shot, neither....

                            nope.

                            Sometime you get me to tell you about the bur that when thud and din't
                            stay thudded.
                            Was a buck oncet did the same thing.... nope, one UNHAPPY camper that
                            buck was, and willin' to show a human a thing or two 'bout knockin'
                            critters down.
                            Get your dream car or truck. Click here.
                            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLa8tT7SC5vQiZxVHVDktdDVZbjGKDBRAFm5ewD7Q3OfHwvsJNJKI/
                          • A Allen (SEMIK)
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                              Oh my gosh, Tom and Barb -- I've now laughed so hard I have to explain to my coworkers why...

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                                Just consider it our sweet little revenge....
                                =g=

                                On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:49:14 -0000 "A Allen (SEMIK)"
                                <al_allen327@...> writes:
                                > Oh my gosh, Tom and Barb -- I've now laughed so hard I have to
                                > explain to my coworkers why...
                                >
                                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan
                                > <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

                                > > > That one's easy. He shot da Bur (bear) over thar and it went
                                > thud
                                > > > when it hit da ground, so we call dat place Burthud Pass, doe it
                                >
                                > > > should be called Burthud Don't Pass cause dat der Bur weren't a
                                > goin
                                > > > no whar after he was shot.
                                > > >

                                > > Dunno, sometimes dem burs, they gets up afters they goes 'thud'
                                > an' they
                                > > ain't none too happy 'bout bein' shot, neither....
                                > >
                                > > nope.
                                > >
                                > > Sometime you get me to tell you about the bur that when thud and
                                > din't
                                > > stay thudded.
                                > > Was a buck oncet did the same thing.... nope, one UNHAPPY camper
                                > that
                                > > buck was, and willin' to show a human a thing or two 'bout
                                > knockin'
                                > > critters down.
                                > > Get your dream car or truck. Click here.

                                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLa8tT7SC5vQiZxVHVDktdD
                                VZbjGKDBRAFm5ewD7Q3OfHwvsJNJKI/

                                The distance thought travels in a second is infinitely greater than the
                                distance light travels in a year …only it tends to spiral, so it gets
                                nowhere fast.
                                ---Brooke McEldowney
                                Senior Dating Online. Click Now!
                                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTQbQZBquYVP9mMWdJlSaFutVRAoPHXBN4xMIS60LRCsfxUJ0EX59O/
                              • electric_water_boy
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                                  > Sometime you get me to tell you about the bur that when thud and din't
                                  > stay thudded.

                                  Heard on an episode of Icenrye's Videozine where a cacher took off with the cache because there was a bear there. Geez, wait that sucker out and put the cache back. You'd think they have chupracabras up there.
                                • Barbara Dukette
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                                    Did you mean Gwah-da-loop-ay?

                                    How can we forge one of the most common and well traveled roads here in Austin:

                                    Guadalupe pronounced (Gwah-da-loop)

                                    handsoff

                                    > And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
                                    > And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
                                    > mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
                                    > before you get to
                                    > Manor (May-Nor)
                                    > Seguin (Suh-Geen)
                                    > Greune (Green)
                                    > Boerne (Bern)
                                    > Montague.... . (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
                                    > Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

                                  • Wayne Lind
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                                      An Aggie is a student or graduate of Texas A&M university, located in College Station. About 90 miles east of Austin.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 4, 2009
                                        I think that'a Wad-Ah-Lou-Pee