new to CentralTexasGeocachers

  • irisisnice
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
      Hi everyone!

      Next to being new to this group, we're also new to Austin and the USA for that matter. Somewhere in the next couple of months we will move to Austin and since geocaching is our main hobby (next to travelling), looking for a website/forum with geocachers from Austin was one of the first things to do of course.
      Our alias for this forum is not our geocaching name, it seems it is already taken, so we translated it into English.
      We've never been in Texas, so it's all very exciting, we have no idea what to expect. But since there are so many geocaches, it must be a fun place to be!
      Hope to meet you and your caches very soon!

      greetings and howdy (yep, trying to adjust as soon as possible ;-) )from the Netherlands,

      team irisisleuk (or for this forum irisisnice)
    • shawnolsen@aol.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
          Yes, Welcome! and Howdy?  Does anyone really say that here?

          And  as to "what to expect" in Austin, along with friendly people,  will be HEAT!   Best to not rush that move date, August is our hottest month.
          The Central Texas Geocachers community is the very finest that the USA has to offer!  See you soon.

          Carlin/1Carlin
          Next to being new to this group, we're also new to Austin and the USA for that matter. Somewhere in the next couple of months we will move to Austin and since geocaching is our main hobby (next to travelling), looking for a website/forum with geocachers from Austin was one of the first things to do of course.
          Our alias for this forum is not our geocaching name, it seems it is already taken, so we translated it into English.
          We've never been in Texas, so it's all very exciting, we have no idea what to expect. But since there are so many geocaches, it must be a fun place to be!
          Hope to meet you and your caches very soon!

          greetings and howdy (yep, trying to adjust as soon as possible ;-) )from the Netherlands,

          team irisisleuk (or for this forum irisisnice)

        • Mrs. Captain Picard

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
                You betcha boots! I say "howdy" quite often, usually to strangers. Even have a maroon and white "howdy" button, since I are an Aggie.

                So howdy, team irisisleuk! And I don't see how "team irisisleuk" could already be taken--that seems about as likely as a tornado blowing through a junkyard and assembling a Boeing 747. It must be something in Yahoo's rules for name selection.

                --Lee
                "Suchmann"

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
                  irisisnice wrote:
                  > Hi everyone!
                  >
                  > Next to being new to this group, we're also new to Austin and the USA for that matter. Somewhere in the next couple of months we will move to Austin and since geocaching is our main hobby (next to travelling), looking for a website/forum with geocachers from Austin was one of the first things to do of course.
                  > Our alias for this forum is not our geocaching name, it seems it is already taken, so we translated it into English.
                  > We've never been in Texas, so it's all very exciting, we have no idea what to expect. But since there are so many geocaches, it must be a fun place to be!
                  > Hope to meet you and your caches very soon!
                  >
                  > greetings and howdy (yep, trying to adjust as soon as possible ;-) )from the Netherlands,
                  >
                  > team irisisleuk (or for this forum irisisnice)

                  Welcome to Texas. As has been said, expect heat. I don't think we have
                  had very many days under 100 degrees F for at least 6-8 weeks. Expect to
                  use plenty of sunscreen when you're out caching.

                  Mike
                  jmd65
                • Mrs. Captain Picard
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009

                    For the metricly inclined, that's 40.6 degrees celsius.

                    irisisnice wrote: > Hi everyone! > > Next to being new to this group, we're also new to Austin and...

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
                      Or 313 Kelvin, for the scientifically inclined. :-)

                      Mike
                      Who is probably the only one in central Texas who has his GPSr set to
                      kilometers.

                      Mrs. Captain Picard wrote:

                      > For the metricly inclined, that's 40.6 degrees celsius.
                      >
                      > Julie
                      > Mrs. Captain Picard
                      >

                      >> On Jul 31, 2009 2:08 PM, "Mike Detlefsen" <detmik64@...
                      >> <mailto:detmik64@...>> wrote:
                      >>

                      >> irisisnice wrote: > Hi everyone! > > Next to being new to this group,
                      >> we're also new to Austin and...
                      >>
                      >> Welcome to Texas. As has been said, expect heat. I don't think we have
                      >> had very many days under 100 degrees F for at least 6-8 weeks. Expect to
                      >> use plenty of sunscreen when you're out caching.
                      >>
                      >> Mike
                      >> jmd65

                    • electric_water_boy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
                        Howdy Yall! Bring some rain and cooler weather with you and you'll be heros! We have 6 seasons in Texas. Spring, Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, Fall, and Winter. I think Winter this next year is scheduled for February 3rd from 2PM to 7PM. Don't miss it!

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
                          You didn't see the video of that on YouTube? Where ya been?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
                            Or for the zoological inclined, hot enough to melt the stripes of a zebra and the spots off a leopard. I have more where those came from, but I'll save them for now.

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <detmik64@...> wrote:

                            > Or 313 Kelvin, for the scientifically inclined. :-)
                            >
                            > Mike
                            > Who is probably the only one in central Texas who has his GPSr set to
                            > kilometers.
                            >

                            > Mrs. Captain Picard wrote:
                            > >

                            > > For the metricly inclined, that's 40.6 degrees celsius.
                            > >
                            > > Julie
                            > > Mrs. Captain Picard
                            > >

                            > >> On Jul 31, 2009 2:08 PM, "Mike Detlefsen" <detmik64@...
                            > >> <mailto:detmik64@...>> wrote:
                            > >>

                            > >> irisisnice wrote: > Hi everyone! > > Next to being new to this group,
                            > >> we're also new to Austin and...
                            > >>
                            > >> Welcome to Texas. As has been said, expect heat. I don't think we have
                            > >> had very many days under 100 degrees F for at least 6-8 weeks. Expect to
                            > >> use plenty of sunscreen when you're out caching.
                            > >>
                            > >> Mike
                            > >> jmd65

                          • Wayne Lind
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
                              Welcome! We are always happy to have new members. Hope you can join us at an event and we can meet you. Our next event in the Austin area is GC1W8AG - Catching up with Doctor Jump, which is next Saturday (8/8). There are also two events in San Antonio tomorrow if you are in for a little traveling.

                              And it will cool off here eventually.

                              Wayne

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 31, 2009
                                On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Mike Detlefsen<detmik64@...> wrote:
                                > Mike
                                > Who is probably the only one in central Texas who has his GPSr set to
                                > kilometers.

                                Nope. FiedoGang's GPSr (just back from repairs) has spent 99.78% of
                                its life set on the metric system -- and we are definitely central
                                Texas!!

                                -- Vicki
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009

                                  Welcome!  Yes, this is the right forum.  The local geocachers are both active and friendly.  Come on down and met us at the next local event.

                                  See you on the trail!

                                  Russ the waterweasel