Geocaching Site Down

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
      Pass the word...I just found out why Geocaching.com is down... Looks like there
      will be some frustrated cachers this holiday weekend.

      From Facebook:
      Jeremy Irish: Geocaching.com is down. Internap power outage - a fire at Fisher
      Plaza. Machines are fine but no power to the building.

      Jeremy Irish: Geocaching.com servers are hosted at the Fisher Plaza building
      near the Space Needle. http://www.fisherplaza.com is down too

      Jeremy Irish: Someone at the scene said 6 inches of water in the basement from
      putting out the fire. Both generators are there.

      Jeremy Irish: No ETA when the power is back on. People are hand carrying
      critical servers out of the building.

      Jeremy Irish: OH "They said they'd be ecstatic if the power is back on by 6
      tonight" - Geocaching.com likely to be down all day.

      Looks like another really good reason to maintain a GSAK database on your own
      computer!
    • Candy Lind
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <maxwell_q@...> wrote:

        > ... Looks like there
        > will be some frustrated cachers this holiday weekend.
        > Looks like another really good reason to maintain a GSAK database on your own computer!

        So only the cachers who don't know better will be frustrated! LOL Glad my PQs ran the last 2 nights. :-D I will have plenty of P&Gs to crutch to this weekend.

        Candy
        moosiegirl
      • jestrrrulz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
          And I was about ready to throw my iPhone out the window of my car earlier when it couldn't locate any caches. I mean, come on... this is Austin. There has to be a cache (or 500) close!

          Jeri/JestrRulz

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
            Jeremy's blog post about it.

            http://locuslingua.blogspot.com/

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
              Thanks for the update, Mark....

              BarbJ/Tygress

              On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 20:41:37 -0000 "Mark" <maxwell_q@...>
              writes:
              > Jeremy's blog post about it.
              >
              > http://locuslingua.blogspot.com/
              >

              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, jestrrrulz@...
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > And I was about ready to throw my iPhone out the window of my car
              > earlier
              > > when it couldn't locate any caches. I mean, come on... this is
              > Austin. There
              > > has to be a cache (or 500) close!
              > >
              > > Jeri/JestrRulz
              > >
              > > In a message dated 7/3/2009 11:25:35 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
              >
              > > maxwell_q@... writes:
              > >

              > > Pass the word...I just found out why Geocaching.com is down...
              > Looks like
              > > there
              > > will be some frustrated cachers this holiday weekend.
              > >

              > > **************It's raining cats and dogs -- Come to PawNation, a
              > place
              > > where pets rule!
              > (http://www.pawnation.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000008)

              God have mercy on the man who doubts what he’s sure of. -- Bruce
              Springsteen; Brilliant Disguise
              Criminal Lawyers - Click here.
              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTOVoL0897yzPkZl6bGNrpvOisbhfB5DMF9zBvsHYMIwQWtXkFN4e0/
            • Mike Detlefsen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
                Candy Lind wrote:
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <maxwell_q@...> wrote:
                >
                >> ... Looks like there
                >> will be some frustrated cachers this holiday weekend.
                >> Looks like another really good reason to maintain a GSAK database on your own computer!
                >>

                > So only the cachers who don't know better will be frustrated! LOL Glad my PQs ran the last 2 nights. :-D I will have plenty of P&Gs to crutch to this weekend.
                >
                > Candy
                > moosiegirl

                Yep. I keep all my PQs on my iPod Touch. I can keep on caching! :-)

                Mike
                jmd65
              • lizeebie
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
                  > Yep. I keep all my PQs on my iPod Touch. I can keep on caching! :-)
                  >
                  > Mike
                  > jmd65

                  I just ran across www.bcaching.com earlier this week, as well as Blackstar Navigation for using my Backberry to cache.

                  I now have my PQ's sent automatically to BCaching.com and I can easily access ALL of the cache information from there, instead of GC.com. So, I'm not out in the cold (?) this weekend either!

                  So far, I've not had the inclination to spend a lot of time with GSAK. I get rather intimidated by all those stats! BCaching.com seems to be a simple alternative to printouts from GSAK. You just use the browser on your web enabled phone, and as long as you have signal, you have all the cache info. Haven't used it much yet, so who knows what I'll think about it later on.

                  Does anyone else have experience with BCaching.com?

                  Laters...

                  -Lizeebie/Liz
                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009