Re: ??-Found Letterbox Material at My Cache Sites

  • WANDA TEXAS
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
      you could go to www.letterboxing.org and "search for letterboxes" and put in the info for the area and see if any show up with the name on the baggie or what in that area.....

      i dont know if you have to join up or if you can just peruse the listings without signing in.....its been a long time since i was doing that...

      but you can try there...

      wanda texas

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Pam Trefny <ptrefny@...> wrote:

      > I have a "wonder what I should do about this, if anything" question for
      > you guys.
      >
      > I have been alerted by a couple of posts to one of my caches that there
      > was a possible letterbox baggie near my cache hide. So while out showing
      > a friend what GC-ing is all about I got to check on it. Sure enough, at
      > the same coordinates as my cache, hanging from the tree, there is a zip
      > lock bag with a notebook and stamp with a note that says "Family reunion
      > 2009, please do not remove". I didn't find any contact info in the bag.
      >
      > Next we moved on to a second cache I own in the same park and there is
      > another zip-lock bag, same materials, on the ground at GZ for this cache
      > too! So my thought is that someone is using the cache coordinates to
      > hide letter boxes? Has anyone ever run across this before? I'm not
      > familiar with letter boxing at all. Other than making a note on my cache
      > pages that the zip lock bag is not the cache, is there anything else I
      > should do?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Pam/Aggievet

    • Pam Trefny
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
        Thanks for the suggestions. I did a search and none of the listed letterboxes were in the area of my caches.  I'll post a note on the cache pages and leave them be for now.

        Thanks!
        Pam/Aggievet

        WANDA TEXAS wrote:

        you could go to www.letterboxing. org and "search for letterboxes" and put in the info for the area and see if any show up with the name on the baggie or what in that area.....

        i dont know if you have to join up or if you can just peruse the listings without signing in.....its been a long time since i was doing that...

        but you can try there...

        wanda texas

        --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, Pam Trefny <ptrefny@... > wrote:

        > I have a "wonder what I should do about this, if anything" question for
        > you guys.
        >
        > I have been alerted by a couple of posts to one of my caches that there
        > was a possible letterbox baggie near my cache hide. So while out showing
        > a friend what GC-ing is all about I got to check on it. Sure enough, at
        > the same coordinates as my cache, hanging from the tree, there is a zip
        > lock bag with a notebook and stamp with a note that says "Family reunion
        > 2009, please do not remove". I didn't find any contact info in the bag.
        >
        > Next we moved on to a second cache I own in the same park and there is
        > another zip-lock bag, same materials, on the ground at GZ for this cache
        > too! So my thought is that someone is using the cache coordinates to
        > hide letter boxes? Has anyone ever run across this before? I'm not
        > familiar with letter boxing at all. Other than making a note on my cache
        > pages that the zip lock bag is not the cache, is there anything else I
        > should do?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Pam/Aggievet

      • thayeranne
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
          Anyone have a good go-to glue that is extra-bonding and durable for plastic to metal or plastic to stone?

          Thanks for any help

          Anne (Totavi)
        • Mrs. Captain Picard
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
            Hmmmmm.  Why do you ask?????  If you'll send us a photo of what you want to glue, we'll be able to tell you better!  (UH HUH!)

            :)

            Hopefully,

            On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM, thayeranne <rockslide@...> wrote:

            Anyone have a good go-to glue that is extra-bonding and durable for plastic to metal or plastic to stone?

            Thanks for any help

            Anne (Totavi)

          • Candy Lind
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
              I don't want you to spoil the fun for ME, Anne! (sorry Julie!)

              Gorilla Glue is AMAZING stuff ... you can get it at The Evil Empire (Wally World), most craft stores and all hardware stores with any brains. It comes in a yellow formula that is stronger than strong and says it can glue almost anything to almost anything else. I have also found a clear formula, but have yet to try it to see how it compares.

              Make sure you follow the directions. Dampening both surfaces and clamping somehow (I use duct tape a lot on small or irregular items)is VERY IMPORTANT.

              Happy Trails,
              Candy
              moosiegirl

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "thayeranne" <rockslide@...> wrote:

              > Anyone have a good go-to glue that is extra-bonding and durable for plastic to metal or plastic to stone?
              >
              > Thanks for any help
              >
              > Anne (Totavi)

            • Rich and Di Michelson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009

                Their tag line is "because people need to glue things to other things."

                --Di
                dirich92