Caching with kids in Austin

  • greenmandm5
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
      I originally posted this on the geocaching.com forums but was advised by Semper Questio that yall hang out here mostly. Thanks for the tip!

      I will be visiting some friends in Austin this weekend and they're always up for going caching with me when I'm down there, but they have an almost-2-year-old who was not so keen on getting in and out of the car constantly the last time I was down there. I was looking for a kid friendly trail or park where we might be able to walk and play and find a few caches without driving from point to point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks all!

      Karen/Meteor5
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009

        Hi!

        You might take a look at the caches along the Brushy Creek Trail.  Say centered on WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS -- GC1C3J7.  Nice, easy trail, lots of caches in the area, and a nice kid friendly water feature park near by.

        Russ the waterweasel

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
          Trailhead Park has several kid-friendly caches, and a playground too. One of the caches is a 4-stage multi, GC9318. The final might be a bit tough for an almost-2-year-old, but there are also easy horse- and pet-related caches along the trail. The Majestic Oak is a mile and a half in, then a mile and a half back out, but would appeal greatly to kids old enough to climb.

          --Lee
          "Suchmann"

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009

            The Brushy creek trail system came to my mind right away.  Large pathway, easy to push a stroller and many fun water play areas and play areas for kids, shade areas, bathrooms and drinking fountains.

            Carlin/1Carlin

[...]

          • Mrs. Captain Picard
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009

              The Goodwater Trail between San Gabriel Park and Lake Georgetown is nice, too.  It is going to be VERY hot here, so be careful.  The whole family will get a smile at my Amazing, Incredibla Smile Machine, GC1TFCY. There is also a nice trail east of there with several fun sculptures (by BandA I think)

              Julie
              Mrs Captain Picard

              On Jul 2, 2009 3:02 PM, "Lee Dedear" <ldedear@...> wrote:

              Trailhead Park has several kid-friendly caches, and a playground too. One of the caches is a 4-stage multi, GC9318. The final might be a bit tough for an almost-2-year-old, but there are also easy horse- and pet-related caches along the trail. The Majestic Oak is a mile and a half in, then a mile and a half back out, but would appeal greatly to kids old enough to climb.

              --Lee
              "Suchmann"

              I originally posted this on the geocaching.com forums but was advised by Semper Questio that yall h...

            • Nathaniel D
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009

                There’s a LOT of Austin to cache out!  If you’re coming down south, I’m thinking that Dick Nichols might be a good place to start.  It’s a nice paved concrete path through the woods with about 5 caches right on it, along with a few more that aren’t right on the trail, but aren’t horrible terrain getting to (probably not strollers).  Use What ACCLanMan Loves About South Austin (GC10KHH) to find the park as it’s just about dead center of the trail.  Of course, I’m biased since my family has about half of the caches there!

                Nathaniel

                A.K.A. grn beret 2b

                I originally posted this on the geocaching.com forums but was advised by Semper Questio that yall hang out here mostly. Thanks for the tip!

                I will be visiting some friends in Austin this weekend and they're always up for going caching with me when I'm down there, but they have an almost-2-year-old who was not so keen on getting in and out of the car constantly the last time I was down there. I was looking for a kid friendly trail or park where we might be able to walk and play and find a few caches without driving from point to point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

                Thanks all!

                Karen/Meteor5

              • Rich and Di Michelson