Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Looking for a San Antonio area geo-hike

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2009
      Josh,
      I borrowed it the sig line someone... lol...
      It's exactly how I feel (although the original said a glass of champagne and chocolate in the other hand...).

      Life is meant to be lived and experienced!
      Barry
      aka Doc Geo

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6, 2009
        Alright all! I think I have it down to two options. In no particular order:

        Guadalupe River State Park: This one is a touch out of the way, but there are plenty of good lookin caches and the river (hopefully it's flowing). The trail system looks small and seems totally flat, but I figure if I hike the whole thing and grab all the caches, it would make for a full day hike. Plus the potential for a dip in the River is hard to pass up if you can get it in.Could be lots of campers and such so maybe not as much solitude.

        Government Canyon: This is looks like the kinda hike I'm looking for. A little more primitive, longer trails, and closer to the city so my mom and cousin wouldn't have to go to far out of the way to drop me off and pick me up. There's even mention of creek crossings, though I assume they'd be all dried up. If I start at the main Park HQ, I could take about an 8 mile hike to this cache: GC1AVC8 and 3 others along the trail. Looks very appealing, however, the idea that it is a micro apparently hidden in a rock pile area makes me a little skeptical.

        Really tough call! What should I do?!?!?!?!?!? :)

        I have not yet been to Pedernales Falls State Park west of Austin. Two Summers ago I did the full Barton Creek Greenbelt hike and the creek was quite deep and flowing fast. I loved it. Last summer, I did Barton Creek again, but the creek was bone dry so it wasn't as cool. On that trip, I also did all the scouts law caches on the Goodwater Trail around Lake Georgetown.

        This year I'm planning two hikes. Friday I'll hit one of two hikes around San Antonio and then Monday I want to do a hike around Austin/Round Rock/Georgetown. I doubt it will be Barton Creek again. So far, I'm planning to pick up where I left off last year on the Goodwater Trail around Lake Georgetown since I've seen there are some good caches all along it, and last time it was raining and in a rush I screwed up the coords for the Scout's Law puzzle cache and missed it. I figured out my mistake and have had the coords for a year with the intention of getting it this trip. I'll Pedernales Falls in mind if Goodwater Trails doesn't work out.
      • Mrs. Captain Picard
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6, 2009
          I think if you can swing it with your people, Guadalupe River SP is my pick.  By the time you hike all the way down to the water after doing the trails, you'll get your distance in.  Plus, it's dangerously hot, and at GRSP you will always be closer to the road and help if you run into trouble.  But the kicker is being able to jump into the river when you're through.  Can't beat it!

          I haven't done the Government Canyon long hike, so I really can't comment except that yes, it's probably going to be bone dry.

          Have fun and take lots of water!

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 6, 2009
            Of course, simpjkee is from Arizona, so he knows about hiking in heat
            (yes?) ((Bring twice as much water as you think you need))
            It's withering here, and the humidity ups the ante about 5 degrees
            relative -- but if you plan for 110F (we don't get that hot, it just
            FEELS that way), you should be ok.
            Of course, if you bring some monsoon rain with you, it will wreak your
            plans, but we'd be grateful. =g=

            Our problem right now is that we're in the worst drought in years.
            ["exceptional"] So many creeks ARE dry. If you want to be near water,
            you'll probably have to pick something that's down- or up-stream from a
            dam -- like the Guadalupe, which depends on Canyon Lake.....

            I'm not much help -- because at this time of year anything over a quarter
            mile is asking a LOT of my Norske genetics.

            But do have a care, since we do NOT want you to be a statistic. But as
            an Arizonan, you know all about what heat can do to a body.

            Of course, you could wander around Walnut Creek Park for ages -- though I
            expect the creek is essentially dry. Lots of caches and twisty trails.
            And the Familia can go shopping while you hike.

            BarbJ/Tygress

            On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 06:39:17 -0500 "Mrs. Captain Picard"
            <mrscaptainpicard@...> writes:

[...]

            @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
            God have mercy on the man who doubts what he’s sure of. -- Bruce
            Springsteen; Brilliant Disguise
            Click here for help eliminating your debt.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFHXe56vWFv6f2cHPFGZ9vRzfbSESswFkXAA8VVxvOghk2vvJiysw/
          • simpjkee
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 6, 2009
              Truth be told, Texas in the summer is nice and cool compared to the Phoenix area in the summer. It's a luxury for me to be able to go to Texas and hike during the summer since hiking around Phoenix right now is next to impossible. Sure you've got more humidity, but it's never bothered me. It's actually a little refreshing to get a good sweat goin.

              Consider also that in Texas, the trails I've been on so far are wooded so theres shade covering most of the trail. Out here, it's all open desert. You get on a trail and there is absolutely NO shade whatsoever, not even a lonesome cloud. You are just out baking in the sun like you're in an oven the second you walk out the door.

              Weather report says San Antonio on Friday will be a nice and cool 99 degrees, partly cloudy, and typical humidity. Add in a little shade on the trail and that's a great day for a summer hike.

              Here in Gilbert on Friday it'll be a toasty 112, not a cloud in the sky, no shade on any trails. Ground temperature will be hitting 125 - 130 degrees. I'd be sunburnt in 2 hours.

              I'll be carrying about 7 liters (2 gallons) of water on each hike. 3 Liters in the Camelback, 3 Lexan bottles carabinered to my Camelback as backup water. I never take less than double what I'll need, because I typically like to drink a lot of water while I'm hiking.

              I'm pumped! I can't wait to hit the trail on Friday!
            • electric_water_boy
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 6, 2009
                Only problem with the river at the park is that isn't much flow if any right now.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 15, 2009
                  Hi Texans, simpjkee here. I'm back home now in Gilbert, AZ. Our vacation went really well. I want to thank all of you for your hospitality and suggestions to help make our vacation a success. Our event on Thursday went really well and I really appreciate everyone showing up to say hey.

                  On Friday, I hiked about 6 miles total through Gaudalupe River State Park and got 16 caches. M mom and cousin dropped me off at the Park Headquarters. I then stared at the Equestrian Parking and hiked Loop 1. Then hiked loops 2 and 3 counterclockwise re-emerging back at the Headquarters where I met back up with my mom and cousin. About 2/3's of the way where Loop 3 connected back up with loop 2, the trail went through a completely open meadow and with the sun it got a little toasty. I sat in the shade to have lunch, drink some water, and rest for a bit and the rest was no sweat. I skipped the caches in the campground areas and just got 16 along the trail. I got there at about 10am and got picked up about 4pm.

                  That weekend we hung out in San Antonio, looking at the Alamo, walking the riverwalk, ya know, doing the tourist thing.

                  On Monday, my cousin's husband, Jose, and I hiked around Lake Georgetown. Originally the plan was to drop onto the Goodwater Trail from the side enterance around Cedar Hollow Camp and grab the caches in that area. However, as I looked more closely at it, I wanted more mileage so we got dropped off at the Cedar Breaks Trailhead and hiked about 5.5 - 6 miles along the Goodwater Trail. We got the Scouts Law caches last year so we hiked by those and got the bonus and 4 others in Cedar Hollow Camp. Then we exited and got picked up at the side trail p-lot. Along the trail we spooked 2 deer and got to see them bolt through the woods. That was a thrill. Then we spotted 2 wild turkeys and at the 2nd to last cache we saw another deer! A good hike for sure!

                  Next year, I might have my mom and cuz drop us off at the Tejas Trailhead so we can hike and cache the North side of the lake and get picked up at the Russell Park Trailhead. We'll see.

                  Thanks again all! I'll see ya next summer!

                  Josh
                  simpjkee
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 15, 2009
                    Woo Woo!
                    Glad you had a great time -- good seeing you!
                    Until next year....

                    Cache on!
                    BarbJ/Tygress

                    On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:34:15 -0000 "simpjkee" <simpjkee@...>
                    writes:
                    > Hi Texans, simpjkee here. I'm back home now in Gilbert, AZ. Our
                    > vacation went really well. I want to thank all of you for your
                    > hospitality and suggestions to help make our vacation a success. Our
                    > event on Thursday went really well and I really appreciate everyone
                    > showing up to say hey.
                    >
                    > On Friday, I hiked about 6 miles total through Gaudalupe River State
                    > Park and got 16 caches. M mom and cousin dropped me off at the Park
                    > Headquarters. I then stared at the Equestrian Parking and hiked Loop
                    > 1. Then hiked loops 2 and 3 counterclockwise re-emerging back at the
                    > Headquarters where I met back up with my mom and cousin. About 2/3's
                    > of the way where Loop 3 connected back up with loop 2, the trail
                    > went through a completely open meadow and with the sun it got a
                    > little toasty. I sat in the shade to have lunch, drink some water,
                    > and rest for a bit and the rest was no sweat. I skipped the caches
                    > in the campground areas and just got 16 along the trail. I got there
                    > at about 10am and got picked up about 4pm.
                    >
                    > That weekend we hung out in San Antonio, looking at the Alamo,
                    > walking the riverwalk, ya know, doing the tourist thing.
                    >
                    > On Monday, my cousin's husband, Jose, and I hiked around Lake
                    > Georgetown. Originally the plan was to drop onto the Goodwater Trail
                    > from the side enterance around Cedar Hollow Camp and grab the caches
                    > in that area. However, as I looked more closely at it, I wanted more
                    > mileage so we got dropped off at the Cedar Breaks Trailhead and
                    > hiked about 5.5 - 6 miles along the Goodwater Trail. We got the
                    > Scouts Law caches last year so we hiked by those and got the bonus
                    > and 4 others in Cedar Hollow Camp. Then we exited and got picked up
                    > at the side trail p-lot. Along the trail we spooked 2 deer and got
                    > to see them bolt through the woods. That was a thrill. Then we
                    > spotted 2 wild turkeys and at the 2nd to last cache we saw another
                    > deer! A good hike for sure!
                    >
                    > Next year, I might have my mom and cuz drop us off at the Tejas
                    > Trailhead so we can hike and cache the North side of the lake and
                    > get picked up at the Russell Park Trailhead. We'll see.
                    >
                    > Thanks again all! I'll see ya next summer!
                    >
                    > Josh
                    > simpjkee

                    God have mercy on the man who doubts what he’s sure of. -- Bruce
                    Springsteen; Brilliant Disguise
                    Digital Photography - Click Now.
                    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTDvmTYoFxBRwE4v7OKyUNfXdtSYHtGpPSKv1nuwY85YYbTZNHGAO8/