caching in New England and Canada

  • Rich and Di Michelson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 28, 2009
      Julie reminds me I need to start building my trip database.  We are headed on a nice long road trip - beginning and ending in Albany, NY, and going to Niagara Falls, Toronto, Ottawa, and then to the Maritime Provinces and back to the US.  We're really going to fill out our state map on this trip!  After Ottawa, we can take pretty much any path we want to go east and back down.  Are there any must-do caches in Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, or upstate NY?  We like caches at parks, especially parks with playgrounds and walks of about a mile.  I like puzzles.

      Small caching world -- I was looking for caches on Newfoundland and found this one:  http://coord.info/GCKHHP - and it has a FiedoGang TB logged into it.  Looks like the TB has gone missing.  :(

      Oh, and if anyone has TBs they'd like to send to the NE, let us know.

      --Di
      dirich92
      Message 2 of 9 , May 28, 2009
        On Thu, 28 May 2009 07:28:21 -0500 Rich and Di Michelson
        <dirich92@...> writes:

[...]

        Before I recommend the two caches I've done in NY State, will you BE in
        the Syracuse area?
        BarbJ/Tygress
        Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTI97vlnvemykkvenvZOfJPtinBnPMXGIFzOby088M0W9Lcmp6cxZO/
      • Rich and Di Michelson

          Message 4 of 9 , May 28, 2009

            On Thu, 28 May 2009 08:41:29 -0500 Rich and Di Michelson
            <dirich92@...> writes:

            We'll probably go through there on our way out of NY at the beginning.
            We won't have time for a hike, but it would make a good stop to walk
            around for a bit.  Go on, dish...

            --Di
            dirich92

            @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
            Noncachers were driving, so I only picked up two caches, but both worth it --

            GCMPBQ 9/11 Memorial (Traditional Cache) New York [visit log]

            It's an actual piece of the World Trade Center, with all sorts of interesting mementos -- a shrine, if you will.

            GCK5DN The Root of the Problem..... (Traditional Cache) New York  [visit log]

            This is in Chittenango (sp) Falls State Park. A lovely spot to stop, pick up an easy cache, stretch your legs.
            Down the road is Chittenango itself, where L.Frank Baum wrote a fair bit of the Oz series, so they have the whole Wizard of Oz thing going, including on the city flag.
            The local 'Emerald City' gift shop was closed when we were there.... but it might be worth a drive through, you know?

            And that's the extent of my caching up that way.

            -B/Tygress

            Let your voice be heard! Click here and get paid to participate in surveys!

          • Barbara Dukette
            Message 5 of 9 , May 28, 2009
              Hi Di!

              I don't have any recommendations (except to visit my old village, Cazenovia, NY), but I'll be interested in hearing from you when you get back as I'll be following your little footsteps at the end of July!

              Oh, I lied.  You need to visit Chittenango, NY (just off I-90).  It's 1. birthplace of Frank Baum (Wizard of Oz author) and 2. there are some FANTASTIC FALLS to visit there.  There should be a cache hidden there by now!

              Barbara ;) (GiGi and JoJo)

              Message 6 of 9 , May 28, 2009
                In New Hampshire, one of my all time favorite locations is GC6D4E - Parked at Newfound. You are in either a state or national forest in northern New Hampshire. You will walk around a good size hill, or small mountain, some .5 miles or so, and come apon a pond between the mountains. I had the pleasure to do this one in the fall and the leaves reflecting off the pond was awesome! You avoid the worst of the hill, but there is some terrain change. Of course, there is also a cache at the top of the hill and the view from there is pretty darn good as well, but it IS a hill. Another very scenic location is GCQAJ7 - Stumped at the Falls, which will take you to an area of rapids on a small river in New Hampshire. This is a short walk, .2 at worst and it is relatively flat for the area. The car will do most of the hill climbing. Again I did this one during foliage season, but I'm betting it's pretty cool in the summer as well. Most of the caches in the New England area area either hikers, multi's or puzzles, but a lot of the hikers are worth it. There are some pretty special hikes you can take. In Massachusetts, just about any destination in Great Brook Farm State Park is nice. One of my favorites in the park is GCMA1X - Ranger Smith. You will be near an old log cabin at the edge of a small pond. Another one in the park is GC7D - Lowell, AKA Second Mass. As you can tell from the name and number it was the second cache placed in the state. If you wanted to find a cache with ties to Austin, GC1HYGK - Austin to Boston was a cache that Candy, Trey and I helped Paul and Dana (PND) hide last year when we were up there. If you remember, Paul and Dana were down here over Thanksgiving and we had an event to meet local cachers here while they were in town. They are in the process of writing a book on Geocaching.
                One other nice thing about Great Brook Farm State Park is that it is in fact a working farm in addition to being a 1,000 acre park. There is a concession stand in the park where you can get hand made ice cream and sit in a dining room with a plexiglasl dividing wall and watch the cows on the other side of the window that produced the milk for your ice cream.

                I'm betting EGSG can give you some great suggestions for Maine, I looked at my list and all of the (I have done only 10 in Maine) memorable ones have unfortunately been archived. Emmy and Sapphie can also probably offer some suggestions.

                For Vermont, GCH0NA - Kent Pond Beaver Cut is a very special destination. This is along a portion of the Appalachian trail and you will be cris crossing a small stream. You will see LOTs of evidence of Beaver in the area. Who knows, you may even catch a glimpse of a Beaver if you approach quietly. If you have been to and enjoyed Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum in San Antonio, then you'll probably like GCPK67 - The Great Wall of West Bolton as well. GC3D3D Botanical Blunder could be another good destination.

                Candy and I crossed into Canada at Niagara falls and found a few on the other side. None of them were particularly memorable, but we were strapped a little for time and we didn't have mapsource for Canada at that time. It is a nice area and the Canadian people are very friendly. I would definately recommend bringing your passports to make your crossings as smooth as possible.

                We managed only one cache in Rhode Island as we went through at 3:00 A.M which was an Off Your Rocker cache. If you have seen one of them...

                Same is true for Connecticut, I'm afraid I have no suggestions.

                I have not done any caches in Upstate New York, but the area up there is very nice. Trey had a great idea to follow the path of the Erie canal, but we didn't have the time to do it. I bet it would be a great caching drive.

                Hope all this helps.
                Wayne.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 31, 2009

                  Hi Di-

                  Campobello Island, Canada (FDR’s summer home is there) has a ton of caches. It’s right across the border (10 minute drive) from Lubec, Maine. There are a lot of great caches there, but we really liked Eagle Hill Lookout (GC2E71). Don’t forget that you will all need passports to get into Canada now – I believe that it goes into effect tomorrow. We also liked Quoddy Quandry (GC8A65) for the scenery – it’s at the lighthouse that is the most eastern point in the US. There are tons of earthcaches around there, but they probably wouldn’t be too interesting to your kids.

                  If you are going to be in Southern Maine, I recommend you stop in Old Orchard Beach (OOB) for the Picture This #13 A Beach of a Cache (GC1B0H6). There’s nothing special about the cache itself, but it is fun trying to figure out where the cache is from the picture. But the reason I recommend is for your kids – the cache is in downtown OOB about 30 feet from amusement rides, the pier you see in the picture has some carnival-like games, there’s all kinds of food available like pizza slices, ice cream (you know – all that new England beach food) and it is on a 7-mile beautiful white-sand beach. If the tide is low, there is tons of exposed area great for building sand castles. My grandmother had a cottage in OOB (which my aunt still owns), and I have spent all or part of each summer there for the last 50+ years. It’s a great place for kids. If you get there, make sure you get some pier french fries from the place that is to the left and behind you when you are sitting on top of the cache (Pier French fries is not actually on the pier, but they have been in business for 80 years. Skip the ketchup and use the vinegar – it’s tradition with these fries). I will be in OOB from July 28th – Aug 1st, and Aug 8th – 12th. If you are going to be there then, let me know offline.
                  BTW the OOB pier used to be about 3 times as long as it is now before a fire in the 70’s. They had a ballroom at the very end, and my Mom used to go “Dancing over the Waves” on Saturday nights to the big bands like Tommy Dorsey and Glenn Miller in the 40’s.
                  For a piece of history, find the Fort Williams cache (GC128). It’s the oldest cache in Maine. It’s located on the grounds of the Portland Headlight (the lighthouse they always show on postcards of Maine). That was the third cache i ever did - way back in 2001. For a great place for lobster, go to Alphabet Soup “L” (GC1CPWJ). We didn’t actually find the cache, but it is right next to a lobster shack. You order your lobster inside, and then eat outside on picnic tables that are right on the ocean. You can see two different lighthouses here – on a clear day, the view is amazing.
                  If you want more info, contact me offline. Have fun – you are going to beautiful country and it should be a lot cooler than here.
                  Mary Beth
                  (emmy-n-sapphie)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
                    We are in Maine now, heading on to Nova Scotia sometime this week. We found the Ft. Williams cache - oldest in Maine - yesterday. (Thanks Mary Beth for telling us about it.) Had a wonderful day viewing the ruins of the old fort and mansion nearby, watching all the common eiders in the harbor, and of course taking photos of the famous lighthouse. Maine is beautiful and we are really enjoying it - there are just too many things to do!! Have fun on your trip.

                    Iris
                    Lyni9

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Rich and Di Michelson <dirich92@...> wrote:

                    > Julie reminds me I need to start building my trip database. We are headed
                    > on a nice long road trip - beginning and ending in Albany, NY, and going to
                    > Niagara Falls, Toronto, Ottawa, and then to the Maritime Provinces and back
                    > to the US. We're really going to fill out our state map on this trip!
                    > After Ottawa, we can take pretty much any path we want to go east and back
                    > down. Are there any must-do caches in Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia,
                    > Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont,
                    > Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, or upstate NY? We like caches at
                    > parks, especially parks with playgrounds and walks of about a mile. I like
                    > puzzles.
                    >
                    > Small caching world -- I was looking for caches on Newfoundland and found
                    > this one: http://coord.info/GCKHHP - and it has a FiedoGang TB logged into
                    > it. Looks like the TB has gone missing. :(
                    >
                    > Oh, and if anyone has TBs they'd like to send to the NE, let us know.
                    >
                    > --Di
                    > dirich92

                  • efgeiss
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
                      I went back and looked at the caches we did when we were first started and sadly most of the good ones are gone. But if you are in the central Maine area I highly recommend going to the Bangor City Forest. There seems to be a lot of caches there and it's a great trail system. To quote one of the cache (GCGT94) descriptions:
                      If you haven't been there, you need to check it out! I've lived in the greater Bangor area for my entire life and never knew this place existed. The Bangor City Forest ( PDF map - more info) is a 650-acre nature reserve with a system of trails totalling almost 10 miles long! It also provides access to the Orono Bog Boardwalk. You won't be disappointed!
                      We have cached in Prince Edward Island and weren't impressed at all. You would be better off going to Deer Isle, off the coast of Maine. A lot of great caches, and better hikes.
                      When I have some more time I'll try to get you some more info.
                      EGSG
                      Ed and Sharon