Re: Star Trek fans..

  • Ed Anderson
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2009
      While finishing graduate school, I interviewed for a faculty job at Texas Tech University. When I stepped into the office of the Chair of the Search Committee, whose name was Gwen, I found the place filled with Star Trek memorabilia. We struck up a conversation about favorite episodes, and a great friendship was born. As it turns out, many of the faculty there were fans, and had given themselves nicknames: Gwen was the Captain, Nancy was the Commodore, and so forth. When I found out that Charlie named himself Hard Science Officer, I asked, quite reasonably, "Do you have a Soft Science Officer?" The answer was "no," so when I accepted the job, I called Nancy/Commodore (the Chair of the Department), and said, "Soft Science Officer requests permission to come aboard."

      I had great friendships in Lubbock that continued after I left. Whenever we were together, we called each other by our crew names. Captain and Commodore are easy enough, but Hard Science Officer and Soft Science Officer are tongue twisters, so we just greeted each other as "Hard" and "Soft." (Or HSO and SSO.)

      Hard Science Officer passed away last May, and the Captain died a few weeks ago. In between, I became a geocacher. When I went back to Lubbock for the Captain's funeral, I took Commodore out for her first geocaching adventure. She was hooked. It was a wonderful healing experience, and we planned out memorial caches for Captain and HSO. I can't think of a better way to honor them and share their stories with others. They would have loved it.

      Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2009
        Awww, Ed... that's a good history.
        I'm sorry about your loss.

        I was a Trekker back in the 70s -- enough to even have generated fanfic, but it's safe in a file folder.
        There's still a very special place in my Universe for things Trek.
        But don't know if I'll make the Bob Bullock event... I'd like to, but, well, the part of Special Agent Mom Taxi comes first.
        [At least I don't wear red shirts on Away Teams.]

        BarbJ/Tygress

        href="mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com">CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "A Allen (SEMIK)"

        href="http://www.austinplanetarium.org/startrek/index.php">http://www.austinplanetarium.org/startrek/index.php

        > <*> Your email settings:

        Individual Email | Traditional

        > <*> To change settings
        online go to:

        (Yahoo! ID required)

        > <*> To change settings via
        email:

        href="mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-digest@yahoogroups.com">mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-digest@yahoogroups.com

        href="mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
        to:

        > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
        to:

        God have mercy on the man who doubts what he’s sure of. -- Bruce Springsteen; Brilliant Disguise

        Click now for prescreened plumbing contractors.

      • Barbara
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2009
          Great story!  It's great to learn stories behind our GEO names.  It's even better to hear about muggles we've turned into cachers!

          I'm sorry to hear about your losses, though..
          Cache on,
          Barbara/GiGi and JoJo
          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 2, 2009, at 8:30 AM, "Ed Anderson" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

          While finishing graduate school, I interviewed for a faculty job at Texas Tech University. When I stepped into the office of the Chair of the Search Committee, whose name was Gwen, I found the place filled with Star Trek memorabilia. We struck up a conversation about favorite episodes, and a great friendship was born. As it turns out, many of the faculty there were fans, and had given themselves nicknames: Gwen was the Captain, Nancy was the Commodore, and so forth. When I found out that Charlie named himself Hard Science Officer, I asked, quite reasonably, "Do you have a Soft Science Officer?" The answer was "no," so when I accepted the job, I called Nancy/Commodore (the Chair of the Department), and said, "Soft Science Officer requests permission to come aboard."

          I had great friendships in Lubbock that continued after I left. Whenever we were together, we called each other by our crew names. Captain and Commodore are easy enough, but Hard Science Officer and Soft Science Officer are tongue twisters, so we just greeted each other as "Hard" and "Soft." (Or HSO and SSO.)

          Hard Science Officer passed away last May, and the Captain died a few weeks ago. In between, I became a geocacher. When I went back to Lubbock for the Captain's funeral, I took Commodore out for her first geocaching adventure. She was hooked. It was a wonderful healing experience, and we planned out memorial caches for Captain and HSO. I can't think of a better way to honor them and share their stories with others. They would have loved it.

          Ed/SoftScienceOffic er

          --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "A Allen (SEMIK)" <al_allen327@ ...> wrote:

          > Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)
          >
          > hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:
          >
          > http://www.austinpl anetarium. org/startrek/ index.php

        • Andrew Young
          Message 4 of 23 , May 3, 2009
            I used to be a member of Starfleet: The International Star Trek Fan Club in San Antonio.  I was a member of the USS Bexar and then the USS Victory and  I held the rank of Cadet Commander (I was 14 at the time).  I was in charge of our ship's (club's) cadet corps.  Ah, the good 'ol days. :)  We used to handle security and various other tasks for the conventions that would come to town.  TNG was always my favorite series, but I've seen them all except Voyager, which I stopped watching around the 2nd season or so.

            - Andrew (Vaelen)

            On May 1, 2009, at 2:40 PM, A Allen (SEMIK) wrote:

            Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)

            hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:

            http://www.austinpl anetarium. org/startrek/ index.php

          • Doc
            Message 5 of 23 , May 3, 2009
              Ok, I'll add my history.
              East Texdas State University (now Texas A&M at Commerce) in Commerce, TX.
              I went from 1975-1977 and was a member of the ETSU Star Trek Club.
              One very memorable event was taking a class in Logic (arranged for club members but we got college credit).  Very good in formulating logical arguments, saying what you mean to say so that proper communication takes place, exactness of statements, facts, opinions, etc...
              My first girlfriend (I was a late bloomer so to speak) was a member of the club.  After she and I broke up, we stayed in touch for a little while after I dropped out.   I learned she named her first daughter, T'Pring (ST:OS fans will know this to be the name of Spocks betrothed in the episode, "Amok Time").  I believe she named her next child, a son, after a Star Trek character also....
              For those who aren't in the know, I've discerned that a Trekker is a fan and a Trekkie is a fanatic....   Probably a good thing the relationship ended early....

              I enjoyed each incarnation of Star Trek, feeling that each brought a different experience to enjoy.

              ST:OS and ST:TNG were more thought provoking with their subject matter I thought. Both series were about exploring not only the "last frontier", but social and moral issues.
              The main story for ST:Voyager was more about the crew trying to find their way back home after being flung to the far reaches of the universe and the encounters they experience along the way.

              ST:Deep Space Nine (DS9) was the first one that wasn't so much about exploration, but more about a space station situated at one end of a worm hole that accessed a different region of the universe.  So more about stories of visitors stopping by...  sort of...

              ST:Enterprise was more a look back at mankind's first contact with other races and development of the first warp engine and a bit more back in the "exploration" .  Scott Backula starred as the Captain of the first Enterprise.  I just couldn't get into this one... I can't seem to see him in any other role than in Quantum Leap.  I don't think the "chemistry" between actors/characters was given as much thought/care as in previous series.

              I "hope" the new movie does well (story, characters, actors, etc) that someone will be motivated to make a serious attempt at a new series...   but it just may be that Star Trek has run its course...
              umm...   I own blueprints for the Enterprise, TNG action figures, went to several conventions, have Leonard Nimoy's autograph, had my picture taken with Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Janice Rand from the original series) and have (had?) an autographed, 45rpm record of her non-hit singles, "Disco Talkin" & "Star Child".

              I have at least $1000 in high quality pewter replicas of ships from the episodes.
              and a bit more proof of my "trek geekiness"....

              So glad I'm all grown up now....   um, "after" the movie and festivities at the special premier this Friday...

              Barry
              aka Doc Geo
              aka confirmed Trekker

              Message 6 of 23 , May 3, 2009
                I see that there is no "Star Wars" love going around as I am a huge Star Wars geek and not a trekkie.  *sniff*

                Just saying.

                hands"The Force is strong in this one"off

                Manny Jimenez
                cell # 985-860-2669

              • Heather Ford
                Message 7 of 23 , May 3, 2009
                  Andrew -

                  Cool!  Another SFI (even if former) geocacher!  Are you up here in the Austin area now? I'm the CO of the USS Rhyanna & my muggly hubby is on the Ark Angel.  I've tried to get a few others from the groups into caching with me, but haven't had much success yet.

                  The Ark Angel will be doing a recruiting table at the Alamo Drafthouse near Lakeline Mall both Friday and Saturday and will be there in costume.  Wish I could work it (I have my red TOS dress), but have a conflict this weekend.  Used to go to a lot of the Creation Con events here in Austin and up in the D/FW area many moons ago.  Never worked security, but have friends that did.  Also saw Walter Koenig the year he was a guest at AggieCon.

                  Heather/Ronin's Gal

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2009
                      I was a Star Wars fan before Trek, but to my knowledge, there was never any organized Star Wars Fan Clubs like they did with Trek. I use to argue with my brother that Star Wars came out first because I was introduced to Star Wars first, not knowing that Trek came out in the 60's. In the 80's, I had nearly every vehicle and figure from Star Wars. (Please do not shoot me) Just before I joined the Navy I gave them away to a kid at church, not knowing that they would be worth so much money now.

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4, 2009
                        Now, now, wait until they launch a new Star Wars venture... you'll see
                        some action.

                        It's all in the timing, young Paduan
                        Tygress

                        @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                        God have mercy on the man who doubts what hes sure of. -- Bruce
                        Springsteen; Brilliant Disguise
                        Online Stock Trading - Straightforward pricing. Powerful tools. Click here!
                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFOsXMQywTC33apoeXorX3ju5gRRsGeFeVjhIzQrIpeyjoUhwvmc4/
                      • Joe King
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                          I got plans tonight so couldn't make the special event. I did go see it last night on reg. screen and it was GREAT. I will be heading down to see it again in IMAX.
                          With all the familiar names and references to ST:OS it'll make Trekkies happy but with the new story line you don't have to be a Trekkie to enjoy it

                          ken/joeking

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                            I have tickets to see it on the IMAX tomorrow at 2pm.  If anyone else plans to be there then, let me know. :)

                            - Andrew (Vaelen)