Star Trek fans..

  • A Allen (SEMIK)
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1, 2009
      Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)

      hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:

      http://www.austinplanetarium.org/startrek/index.php
    • Doc
      Message 2 of 23 , May 1, 2009
        Woo Hoo!!!
        Thanks for letting me know Audra!  I just got two VIP tickets!
        Barry

        Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)

        hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:

        http://www.austinpl anetarium. org/startrek/ index.php

      • Dylan Mahan
        Message 3 of 23 , May 1, 2009
          Got two for me too.

          On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:

          Woo Hoo!!!
          Thanks for letting me know Audra!  I just got two VIP tickets!
          Barry

          Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)

          hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:

          http://www.austinpl anetarium. org/startrek/ index.php

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 23 , May 1, 2009
            I know she has the name, but how big she really into Star Trek? Does she do the CONS and other shows? When I lived in Florida, I would got to Orlando nearly every time a CON was there and sometimes to Atlanta.

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "A Allen (SEMIK)" <al_allen327@...> wrote:

            > Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)
            >
            > hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:
            >
            > http://www.austinplanetarium.org/startrek/index.php

          • electric_water_boy
            Message 5 of 23 , May 1, 2009
              I'd like to go, but I need to get my beauty sleep so I can stay awake to watch CADrake walk across the stage saying she knows some BS about CS or something like that.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "A Allen (SEMIK)" <al_allen327@...> wrote:

              > Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)
              >
              > hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:
              >
              > http://www.austinplanetarium.org/startrek/index.php

            • Pam Tobias
              Message 6 of 23 , May 1, 2009
                I attended the 25th Anniversary convention in LA!  And also numerous local conventions.  Back when I was young and foolish and had time for such things.  :-)

                On May 1, 2009, at 3:30 PM, Mark wrote:

                I know she has the name, but how big she really into Star Trek? Does she do the CONS and other shows? When I lived in Florida, I would got to Orlando nearly every time a CON was there and sometimes to Atlanta.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "A Allen (SEMIK)" <al_allen327@ ...> wrote:

                > Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)
                >
                > hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:
                >
                > http://www.austinpl anetarium. org/startrek/ index.php

              • Mrs. Captain Picard
                Message 7 of 23 , May 1, 2009

                  POOP!  I’m going to be in Phoenix that night!  Otherwise, I’d be there.

                  I’m a big fan of The Next Generation, and you all know how I feel about the guy in the big chair, but I can take or leave the original series or the other series after TNG.  I’ve only been to one convention because someone gave me free tickets, and while I was there, I bought a StarFleet Academy decal for my car (and cried when I sold it!) and a insignia pin that actually beeps when you touch it.  I still have the pin and I wear it every time I put on my TNG officer’s uniform (red) for a Halloween party.  No, I didn’t buy it for myself.  A friend made it for HER costume and was going to throw it away after the party, but I rescued it.  I’ve worn it to many, many geocaching Halloween parties.

                  Yes, I’m sure there are bigger fans than me, but not many people I know has faked the marriage certificate!

                  Have fun!

                  Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)

                  hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:

                  http://www.austinplanetarium.org/startrek/index.php

                • Heather Ford
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 1, 2009
                    Thanks for posting Audra!  Wish I could go, but my sister is in town from Florida that weekend to meet the babies, so we're going to delay seeing the movie by a week.  I'll have to pass the info on to my ST club!

                    Heather/Ronin's Gal

                    Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)

                    hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:

                    http://www.austinpl anetarium. org/startrek/ index.php

                  • Jason
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 1, 2009
                      That is too cool. Now, how to convince my wife that it is her idea to go? She is a geek too but she does have her limits.

                      Jason
                      Watts_tx
                    • Mrs. Captain Picard
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 1, 2009

                        Actually, it looks like an awesome movie!  It will just have some familiar characters……  J

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 1, 2009
                          Well, I can say I am a bit more (or use to be) into Trek than you are. I attended a friend's wedding about 10 years ago, and everyone was dressed in Star Trek Uniforms. I have a Vulcan Robe hanging in my closet. I have most of the collector cards that came out about 14 years ago. I have many autographed photos of the actors when they were at Cons. I kind of miss going to them, but when I went, it was with a group of friends and we stayed in the same area of the hotel and had a blast.

                          > I'm a big fan of The Next Generation, and you all know how I feel about the guy in the big chair, but I can take or leave the original series or the other series after TNG. I've only been to one convention because someone gave me free tickets, and while I was there, I bought a StarFleet Academy decal for my car (and cried when I sold it!) and a insignia pin that actually beeps when you touch it. I still have the pin and I wear it every time I put on my TNG officer's uniform (red) for a Halloween party. No, I didn't buy it for myself. A friend made it for HER costume and was going to
                          > throw it away after the party, but I rescued it. I've worn it to many, many geocaching Halloween parties.

                          > Yes, I'm sure there are bigger fans than me, but not many people I know has faked the marriage certificate!
                          >
                          > Have fun!
                          >
                          > Julie
                          >
                          > Mrs. Captain Picard
                        • Ed Anderson
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 2, 2009
                            While finishing graduate school, I interviewed for a faculty job at Texas Tech University. When I stepped into the office of the Chair of the Search Committee, whose name was Gwen, I found the place filled with Star Trek memorabilia. We struck up a conversation about favorite episodes, and a great friendship was born. As it turns out, many of the faculty there were fans, and had given themselves nicknames: Gwen was the Captain, Nancy was the Commodore, and so forth. When I found out that Charlie named himself Hard Science Officer, I asked, quite reasonably, "Do you have a Soft Science Officer?" The answer was "no," so when I accepted the job, I called Nancy/Commodore (the Chair of the Department), and said, "Soft Science Officer requests permission to come aboard."

                            I had great friendships in Lubbock that continued after I left. Whenever we were together, we called each other by our crew names. Captain and Commodore are easy enough, but Hard Science Officer and Soft Science Officer are tongue twisters, so we just greeted each other as "Hard" and "Soft." (Or HSO and SSO.)

                            Hard Science Officer passed away last May, and the Captain died a few weeks ago. In between, I became a geocacher. When I went back to Lubbock for the Captain's funeral, I took Commodore out for her first geocaching adventure. She was hooked. It was a wonderful healing experience, and we planned out memorial caches for Captain and HSO. I can't think of a better way to honor them and share their stories with others. They would have loved it.

                            Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 2, 2009
                              Awww, Ed... that's a good history.
                              I'm sorry about your loss.

                              I was a Trekker back in the 70s -- enough to even have generated fanfic, but it's safe in a file folder.
                              There's still a very special place in my Universe for things Trek.
                              But don't know if I'll make the Bob Bullock event... I'd like to, but, well, the part of Special Agent Mom Taxi comes first.
                              [At least I don't wear red shirts on Away Teams.]

                              BarbJ/Tygress

                              href="mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com">CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "A Allen (SEMIK)"

                              href="http://www.austinplanetarium.org/startrek/index.php">http://www.austinplanetarium.org/startrek/index.php

                              > <*> Your email settings:

                              Individual Email | Traditional

                              > <*> To change settings
                              online go to:

                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                              > <*> To change settings via
                              email:

                              href="mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-digest@yahoogroups.com">mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-digest@yahoogroups.com

                              href="mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                              to:

                              > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
                              to:

                              God have mercy on the man who doubts what he’s sure of. -- Bruce Springsteen; Brilliant Disguise

                              Click now for prescreened plumbing contractors.

                            • Barbara
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 2, 2009
                                Great story!  It's great to learn stories behind our GEO names.  It's even better to hear about muggles we've turned into cachers!

                                I'm sorry to hear about your losses, though..
                                Cache on,
                                Barbara/GiGi and JoJo
                                Sent from my iPhone

                                On May 2, 2009, at 8:30 AM, "Ed Anderson" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

                                While finishing graduate school, I interviewed for a faculty job at Texas Tech University. When I stepped into the office of the Chair of the Search Committee, whose name was Gwen, I found the place filled with Star Trek memorabilia. We struck up a conversation about favorite episodes, and a great friendship was born. As it turns out, many of the faculty there were fans, and had given themselves nicknames: Gwen was the Captain, Nancy was the Commodore, and so forth. When I found out that Charlie named himself Hard Science Officer, I asked, quite reasonably, "Do you have a Soft Science Officer?" The answer was "no," so when I accepted the job, I called Nancy/Commodore (the Chair of the Department), and said, "Soft Science Officer requests permission to come aboard."

                                I had great friendships in Lubbock that continued after I left. Whenever we were together, we called each other by our crew names. Captain and Commodore are easy enough, but Hard Science Officer and Soft Science Officer are tongue twisters, so we just greeted each other as "Hard" and "Soft." (Or HSO and SSO.)

                                Hard Science Officer passed away last May, and the Captain died a few weeks ago. In between, I became a geocacher. When I went back to Lubbock for the Captain's funeral, I took Commodore out for her first geocaching adventure. She was hooked. It was a wonderful healing experience, and we planned out memorial caches for Captain and HSO. I can't think of a better way to honor them and share their stories with others. They would have loved it.

                                Ed/SoftScienceOffic er

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "A Allen (SEMIK)" <al_allen327@ ...> wrote:

                                > Most especially, Mrs. Captain Picard ;-)
                                >
                                > hope no one else has posted this, I haven't been paying much attention:
                                >
                                > http://www.austinpl anetarium. org/startrek/ index.php

                              • Andrew Young

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 3, 2009
                                    Ok, I'll add my history.
                                    East Texdas State University (now Texas A&M at Commerce) in Commerce, TX.
                                    I went from 1975-1977 and was a member of the ETSU Star Trek Club.
                                    One very memorable event was taking a class in Logic (arranged for club members but we got college credit).  Very good in formulating logical arguments, saying what you mean to say so that proper communication takes place, exactness of statements, facts, opinions, etc...
                                    My first girlfriend (I was a late bloomer so to speak) was a member of the club.  After she and I broke up, we stayed in touch for a little while after I dropped out.   I learned she named her first daughter, T'Pring (ST:OS fans will know this to be the name of Spocks betrothed in the episode, "Amok Time").  I believe she named her next child, a son, after a Star Trek character also....
                                    For those who aren't in the know, I've discerned that a Trekker is a fan and a Trekkie is a fanatic....   Probably a good thing the relationship ended early....

                                    I enjoyed each incarnation of Star Trek, feeling that each brought a different experience to enjoy.

                                    ST:OS and ST:TNG were more thought provoking with their subject matter I thought. Both series were about exploring not only the "last frontier", but social and moral issues.
                                    The main story for ST:Voyager was more about the crew trying to find their way back home after being flung to the far reaches of the universe and the encounters they experience along the way.

                                    ST:Deep Space Nine (DS9) was the first one that wasn't so much about exploration, but more about a space station situated at one end of a worm hole that accessed a different region of the universe.  So more about stories of visitors stopping by...  sort of...

                                    ST:Enterprise was more a look back at mankind's first contact with other races and development of the first warp engine and a bit more back in the "exploration" .  Scott Backula starred as the Captain of the first Enterprise.  I just couldn't get into this one... I can't seem to see him in any other role than in Quantum Leap.  I don't think the "chemistry" between actors/characters was given as much thought/care as in previous series.

                                    I "hope" the new movie does well (story, characters, actors, etc) that someone will be motivated to make a serious attempt at a new series...   but it just may be that Star Trek has run its course...
                                    umm...   I own blueprints for the Enterprise, TNG action figures, went to several conventions, have Leonard Nimoy's autograph, had my picture taken with Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Janice Rand from the original series) and have (had?) an autographed, 45rpm record of her non-hit singles, "Disco Talkin" & "Star Child".

                                    I have at least $1000 in high quality pewter replicas of ships from the episodes.
                                    and a bit more proof of my "trek geekiness"....

                                    So glad I'm all grown up now....   um, "after" the movie and festivities at the special premier this Friday...

                                    Barry
                                    aka Doc Geo
                                    aka confirmed Trekker

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 3, 2009
                                      I see that there is no "Star Wars" love going around as I am a huge Star Wars geek and not a trekkie.  *sniff*

                                      Just saying.

                                      hands"The Force is strong in this one"off

                                      Manny Jimenez
                                      cell # 985-860-2669

                                    • Heather Ford
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 3, 2009
                                        Andrew -

                                        Cool!  Another SFI (even if former) geocacher!  Are you up here in the Austin area now? I'm the CO of the USS Rhyanna & my muggly hubby is on the Ark Angel.  I've tried to get a few others from the groups into caching with me, but haven't had much success yet.

                                        The Ark Angel will be doing a recruiting table at the Alamo Drafthouse near Lakeline Mall both Friday and Saturday and will be there in costume.  Wish I could work it (I have my red TOS dress), but have a conflict this weekend.  Used to go to a lot of the Creation Con events here in Austin and up in the D/FW area many moons ago.  Never worked security, but have friends that did.  Also saw Walter Koenig the year he was a guest at AggieCon.

                                        Heather/Ronin's Gal

                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 4, 2009
                                            I was a Star Wars fan before Trek, but to my knowledge, there was never any organized Star Wars Fan Clubs like they did with Trek. I use to argue with my brother that Star Wars came out first because I was introduced to Star Wars first, not knowing that Trek came out in the 60's. In the 80's, I had nearly every vehicle and figure from Star Wars. (Please do not shoot me) Just before I joined the Navy I gave them away to a kid at church, not knowing that they would be worth so much money now.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 4, 2009
                                              Now, now, wait until they launch a new Star Wars venture... you'll see
                                              some action.

                                              It's all in the timing, young Paduan
                                              Tygress

                                              @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                              God have mercy on the man who doubts what hes sure of. -- Bruce
                                              Springsteen; Brilliant Disguise
                                              Online Stock Trading - Straightforward pricing. Powerful tools. Click here!
                                              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFOsXMQywTC33apoeXorX3ju5gRRsGeFeVjhIzQrIpeyjoUhwvmc4/
                                            • Joe King
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                                                I got plans tonight so couldn't make the special event. I did go see it last night on reg. screen and it was GREAT. I will be heading down to see it again in IMAX.
                                                With all the familiar names and references to ST:OS it'll make Trekkies happy but with the new story line you don't have to be a Trekkie to enjoy it

                                                ken/joeking

                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                                                  I have tickets to see it on the IMAX tomorrow at 2pm.  If anyone else plans to be there then, let me know. :)

                                                  - Andrew (Vaelen)