Heads UP! State Parks Geocaches under new scrutiny

  • Candy Lind <candylind@email.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15 5:59 PM
      I want to tell you a little story, just so you know more about where
      the TPW folks are coming from if you receive a log report asking you
      to show them your cache in their Parks. This started (for us)with the
      addition of a log from TPW on each of the geocaches in Bastrop and
      Buescher State Parks (one of which is the Lost Pines Consolation
      Cache for which Wayne, Trey and I are responsible).

      Today (Sat 2-16-03) We walked all 4 caches in Bastrop and Buescher
      SP's with officer Todd McClanahan (all but the last leg of LP
      Challenge) and he was just fine with all the locations. We talked a
      bit about the endangered Houston Toad found there, and found out that
      the water holes and wet creek beds are the places to avoid to keep
      from disturbing them.

      The reason he wanted to see the caches was that there was an incident
      in Cedar Hill S.P. where a geocacher was trying to locate a cache at
      sunset. An officer approached; said geocacher thought it was another
      geocacher and tried to hide; the officer thought, "who is this trying
      to hide from me??", drew his weapon and said "put your hands up" or
      something to that effect. After a lengthy discussion, things were
      smoothed out, but all Parks were notified of this as a "safety issue"
      and asked to investigate any caches on their premises. So now you
      know ... the REST of the story! :-D It is both wise and prudent to
      let the Park Personnel know when and where you have hidden a cache,
      to avoid any geocacher's blood being shed!

      BY THE WAY, Pumpkin Princess, you are most definitely EVIL EVIL
      EVIL!! Wayne and Trey could not find that doggone second leg again,
      even though we found it once before! They and Todd rearranged most of
      the pine needles and leaves on that hill looking for it! LOL

      Happy Trails,
      Candy
    • Tony Fannin
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15 6:45 PM
        Was at Fry's this evening drooling over stuff I can't
        possibly afford and noticed their ad had a sale on
        NiMH batteries. 1800mAh 4pack for $6.99. I decided to
        pick up a pack as that's not too bad a price. I
        wandered over to the battery aisle and couldn't find
        them. I figured they were out so I grabbed a 4 pack of
        2000mAh marked at $9.99. They rung up at $6.99. I've
        seen these exact same batteries go for about. I bought
        2 packs and should have bought more. They are Lenmar
        NoMEMs. I use these same things in AAA for my palm
        pilot and they work just fine.

        Tony

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Candy Lind <candylind@email.com>
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17 5:24 AM
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Fannin
          <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
          > Was at Fry's this evening drooling over stuff I can't
          > possibly afford and noticed their ad had a sale on
          > NiMH batteries ... I grabbed a 4 pack of
          > 2000mAh marked at $9.99. They rung up at $6.99.

          WooHOO! Thanks for the tip, Tony! I ran over there and got batteries
          for us and TreyB and TeamTracker. What a great deal! I think what
          happened is that maybe the manufacturer couldn't deliver the qty that
          Frys requested and these were a substitution, and Austin was lucky
          enough to get the higher power batteries. I'm sorely tempted to get
          some more. They still have plenty, folks; get 'em while they're hot!

          I think some of my first NiMH's from 2 years ago might finally start
          to wear out soon. They have surely saved us a ton on batteries. We
          keep a cup of charged up batteries in the freezer and all we need to
          do is grab a handful when we're heading out the door (NiMHs "leak"
          their charge at normal temps, but if you store them in the freezer,
          they don't leak.).

          Happy Trails,
          Candy
        • rachel
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 18 7:23 PM
            Candy!
            Hello to all! We sure do miss all of you! I sincerely appreciate all of
            you making efforts to show TPW our Lost Pines Challenge as we are now miles
            away! I'm happy to hear that you are working with a voice in the park
            systems! It's a shame the same cannot be done in such beautiful areas in
            the Rocky Mountains! Grrrrrrr! Caching is not as fun here - I know it's
            because we miss ALL of you!!! Luckily we can still follow what everyone
            does there and participate in discussion!

            Take care dear ones!

            You know, Bastrop SP needed a little needle house cleaning anyway,
            heheheheheheh! I live for being evil! Hahahahahahahahahaha!

            Hugs!
            Ciao,
            Rachel
            P.S. Perhaps we should have an offical geocaching handshake when meeting
            officers in the park at sunset! <grins>

          • Eoghan <eoghan@sharawadgi.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18 8:40 PM
              Hey Candy,
              Thanks for going out to the park and showing the Ranger where the
              caches are. We both really appreciate it. And BTW, Rach and I hid the
              cache together so I get to claim some of the evilness, but maybe just
              a little bit, maybe I'm just "Evil Lite" or something like that.
              Unless of course you injure yourself looking for it, in which case it
              was all her idea and I was just along for the ride...
              -Eoghan

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18 8:41 PM
                Hey Candy,
                Thanks for going out to the park and showing the Ranger where the
                caches are. We both really appreciate it. And BTW, Rach and I hid the
                cache together so I get to claim some of the evilness, but maybe just
                a little bit, maybe I'm just "Evil Lite" or something like that.
                Unless of course you injure yourself looking for it, in which case it
                was all her idea and I was just along for the ride...
                -Eoghan

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind
                <candylind@e...>" <candylind@e...> wrote:

                > BY THE WAY, Pumpkin Princess, you are most definitely EVIL EVIL
                > EVIL!! Wayne and Trey could not find that doggone second leg again,
                > even though we found it once before! They and Todd rearranged most
                of
                > the pine needles and leaves on that hill looking for it! LOL
                >
                > Happy Trails,
                > Candy
              • Wayne Lind
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 19 6:21 AM