Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Snakes and Hiking Shoes and Welcoming New Cachers

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
      Welcome, Tiffany!
      There are a lot of great places to start ... obviously difficulty and terrain are good indicators for 'starter finds' (although our 3rd find was one of the toughest we've ever found. The joys of not knowing better! =grins=

      Also, keep an eye out for events. The big one, of course, is to come on over to the Texas Challenge and just overwhelm yourself with friendly Texas Geocachers for a weekend or a day of fun in Fredericksburg.
      But we have smaller local events, as well.... and it's great to meet people face to face. This is on the whole the nicest group of folks you'd ever hope to meet. Now me? I do get cranky, but other than that.... =wink=

      Small and Regular caches are the easiest to find, just for their size. The micros can vary in size from a fingernail to a 'waterproof match container' (which is about 1x3). Over time you develop expertise in sussing out spots -- but, even then, we old pros call for HELP!!!! too. The idea is the thrill of the chase and to have a great time.

      That said, if we have an idea (you don't have to post your home coordinates) where you're starting from, we can give you a list of nice starter caches close to home.  For example, where WE live, in Brushy Creek, there are probably.... well over 100 caches within 3 miles. I understand my own Vivi's GeoNEWFcache GCNA12 was the center of the highest density of caches in the Austin metro (a year ago)(things change -- caches get archived, new caches go out....).

      Sounds like you've already read the FAQ page on www.geocaching.com, which is an excellent way to start!

      Hope to see you at an event soon!

      BarbJ/Tygress
      (group protocol -- we *try* to remember to sign off with our real & caching names -- of course, there are a few folks here I only know by their caching names... hey, at least my faulty memory has that much!)

      On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 06:37:12 -0800 (PST) Tiffany <tcrumbliss@...> writes:
      I have to agree with the others.  If your really going to invest in hiking boots...there isn't a brand that just fits everyone.  Take the time and spend the money.  When I was backpacking at first, (oh...I so need to do that again!!)  I had just a run of the mill pair..after one more extensive hiking weekend..I thought I needed to amputate my poor feet.  I immediately went to REI the next week fully prepared to spend whatever it took to make sure I had a pair of quality hiking boots.  Once I got those...they have never failed me!!

      Tiffany
      (just starting to geocache..been doing research and reading...finally scored the gps and now plotting where to start!!)

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
        Thank you for the warm welcome.  I think we (my cousin and I) are going to try and make it out to Fredericksburg for the day on Sat for the event.  Having 4 little dogs makes camping interesting.  Especially since one is really old and grumpy and two are a wee bit skittish when it comes to noises.  They really need to be socialized more (working on it!).  I stopped most of my backpacking/camping when I bought my house 4 years ago...I so miss it.  It is getting time to revisit.  I just wish I had learned about the geocaching when I was going all the time.

        I live up in Leander.  We created an account at Geocaching.com.  We called our group "La Bella Mafia"...(it's also our guild name in WoW).  I'm going to be venturing into this with my cousin/roommate and my mom wants to join us.  So, there will be three crazy women randomly roaming about...  The GPS came in last week, so we are just about ready to learn how to use it and get out and explore.

        Cheers!
        ~Tiffany
        hmm...maybe now I need to find a catchy sign name...

        After seeing my second snake in three months of winter geocaching
        yesterday, and reading a log about a rattlesnake near the second
        redirector of the cache I was chasing (Trailhead Trial), I decided it
        was time to invest in a pair of good hiking boots..

        Anyone had any encounters with snakes they would like to share with
        the newbie?

        Also, does anyone recommend a good pair of comfortable hiking boots? I
        would like the ankle supports, if possible.

        Thanks!

        @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @

        Be there without being there. Click now for great video conferencing solutions!

      • manny jimenez
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
          Woot,

          Another WoW player!  Ok, enough of my excitement.

          I have found that with hiking boots that are waterproof have been a big help to me.  I know this from experience as some of the caches on the Gulf Coast are in some areas where you will/may get your feet wet.  I haven't found the wet areas in Central Texas yet but I have been fortunate to have found scorpions.  They were in areas getting to the cache but at the cache itself.  So a walking stick that was mentioned before is a huge help.  Which reminds me, I need to get mine back from the Gulf Coast.

          Congrats on becoming interested in geocaching.

          Manny
          hands"will cache for fresh batteries"off

        • Cybercat
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
            what is a WoW player?
            Another WoW player!  Ok, enough of my excitement.

            I have found that with hiking boots that are waterproof have been a big help to me.  I know this from experience as some of the caches on the Gulf Coast are in some areas where you will/may get your feet wet.  I haven't found the wet areas in Central Texas yet but I have been fortunate to have found scorpions.  They were in areas getting to the cache but at the cache itself.  So a walking stick that was mentioned before is a huge help.  Which reminds me, I need to get mine back from the Gulf Coast.

            Congrats on becoming interested in geocaching.

            Manny
            hands"will cache for fresh batteries"off

            Checked by AVG.
          • Philip C. Mason
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
              World of Warcraft

              You really need to get out more Cybercat.....LOL!!!
              Sorry couldnt resist that one.

              Phil

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                Actually maybe it is safe for her to not know what World of Warcraft is.

                Manny
                hands"will cache for work"off

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                  maybe so, stuff like that turns into addictions.
                  Is there an episode of Intervention for gamers....LOL!!!!

                  Phil
                  dragonscale365

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                    It is an addicting game!  It has sucked 3 years of my life already....sheesh...

                    ~Tiffany

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                      La Bella Mafia Un ... maybe? LBM1?
                      Ask SEMIK how she came by her handle... that will make the above make better sense.

                      Anyway, there are a LOT of crazy women randomly roaming about. Many of us are cachers!!! LOL....

                      Even better, we have comfortably quirky guys, too!

                      There are a lot of fun caches up Leander way to give you a good start.
                      A nice mix is right in the Block House subdivision ... a mix of hikers and sizes.  Could be a good place to start!

                      Others are better with the technical things ... I delegate that. =wink=

                      Again! Welcome!

                      I'll be out at Enchanted Rock the morning/early afternoon of the Challenge -- but I'm sure I won't be hard to find at meal time -- not too many colorful redheaded women around; fewer still paired with cinnamon-sugar bearded fellers. [Tygress and Waterweasel, we're a team.]

                      Anon!

                      BarbJ/Tygress

                      On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:46:31 -0800 (PST) Tiffany <tcrumbliss@...> writes:
[...]

                      Criminal Lawyers - Click here.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                        for what it's worth ... which means you're on your own for that cuppa coffee ...I've found the waterproof boots aren't necessary in CenTex, and you may prefer the coolness/breathability of the ventilated versions in summer. [Unless you ARE Mrs. Captain Picard with her feet of iron in the Tevas ... or smarter feet than mine, at any rate... that woman ROCKS!]
                        There has been only once I regretted not wearing my waterproof hikers -- and that was because we were caching in a snowstorm! [Well, it wasn't snowing when we left the house, and it was the bloomin' day before EASTER?!?!] So the warmer, more water resistant boots would have been smarter footwear that one day.

                        Of course, if you can only get yourself one pair.... and there IS the *occasional* approach the cache from the wrong side of the creek moment....  what's comfy. Yup.

                        Tygress (not a WoWser -- though I was a WoMP once)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                          Me, me, me, Ill ask first.....LOL!!!
                          Ok, Semik, how did you find your nickname?

                          Phil
                          Dragonscale365

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                            That's an online game for people who are made of money...  lol...
                            You have to pay a subscription fee (basically) to play against others online.
                            Now, if you aren't made of money (like me) then you can play Guild Wars which is free to play online and has beautiful graphics and character/skill choices to match WoW....
                            :-)
                            Barry

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                              Barry,