Re: Snakes and Hiking Shoes

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
      My snake encounters

      GCTDD5 High Voltage

      GCQV86 Smokin' !!

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "mrs.browning"
      <mrs.browning@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      > After seeing my second snake in three months of winter geocaching
      > yesterday, and reading a log about a rattlesnake near the second
      > redirector of the cache I was chasing (Trailhead Trial), I decided it
      > was time to invest in a pair of good hiking boots.
      >
      > Anyone had any encounters with snakes they would like to share with
      > the newbie?
      >
      > Also, does anyone recommend a good pair of comfortable hiking boots?
      > would like the ankle supports, if possible.
      >
      > Thanks!

    • Kevin (KoosKoos)
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
        I've had a few encounters with snakes on the trail, but usually it was
        just the "hey, look, a snake" variety. They're really not out to mess
        with us unless we stumble across them.

        However, while that's the general result, I did find a very aggressive
        coral snake while searching in the Barton Creek greenbelt. It didn't
        take kindly to me stepping closer to take a picture and turned on me.
        It gave chase for 5 or 6 steps until it decided I'd gotten the
        message. I gave it a much wider berth as I went around its pile of
        sticks to go for the cache.

        As far as hiking boots, you need to find something that fits your
        foot. If you're just going to be doing casual hiking, the varieties
        at Academy will probably fit your need. Just try on brands/styles and
        WALK around a bit to make sure you have something comfortable.

        If you want to get a more serious boot, your best bet is to go to REI
        or Cabela's and work with someone that can fit you properly. You'll
        pay more, but you'll have a pair of boots that should last years and
        years. My son and I both bought some recently (preparing for our Boy
        Scout 10 days of backpacking this summer) and the ones that fit his
        foot the best were almost painful on mine. The bottom line is a brand
        or model line that someone loves may not be the right one for you.

        Kevin
        KoosKooos

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
          On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:03:05 -0000 "mrs.browning"
          <mrs.browning@...> writes:
          > Hello!
          > After seeing my second snake in three months of winter geocaching
          > yesterday, and reading a log about a rattlesnake near the second
          > redirector of the cache I was chasing (Trailhead Trial), I decided
          > it
          > was time to invest in a pair of good hiking boots.
          >
          > Anyone had any encounters with snakes they would like to share with
          > the newbie?
          >
          > Also, does anyone recommend a good pair of comfortable hiking boots?
          > would like the ankle supports, if possible.
          >
          > Thanks!

          Well, I did see a meter long garter snake up on Enchanted Rock, but they
          don't worry me.
          I've also seen Texas Ratsnakes, and there was the cutest little pencil
          sized gartersnake once who was trying to convince me he was a 6 foot
          rattler -- SO ferocious. Yeah.
          My closer calls have been with fireants and scorpions.

          That said, if you do not have a tool to poke under things with, there's
          usually a stick around ... don't just stick your hand in there.
          Walking staffs are good.
          You'll want to invest in a small multitool as well -- sometimes it
          requires pliers or other aid to extract a fat log from a little cache
          container. [We find the fingernail cleaner tool excellent for those
          tasks).

          Boots.
          Love my Merrels.
          Both Waterweasel and I wear the Merrell Moab Ventilators -- as
          comfortable as a boot can get in Texas Summers (breathable)
          I get the mid-high, because I need the ankle support -- I see them listed
          on line for $90, and the HushPuppie store in the Outlet Mall had them for
          $80 (but not my size -- 9). REI and Cabelas carry them.
          From the moment those suckers went on my feet, oh, 3 or 4 years ago, I've
          been sure-footed and no 'break-in' period. Love 'em. Enchanted Rock
          nearly finished them off (they've been dying for months), I need to track
          down a new pair. Russ (Waterweasel) wears his as nearly his sole pair of
          shoes -- he has plantar fascia and these are the cure.

          Invest in good socks, too.

          Even the competitive hikers will tell you: TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET!

          That also said ... Mrs Captain Picard is out there in Teva sandals. I
          fear one exchange with grass burrs cured me of THAT.

          So that's the Tygress' favorite boots.

          But do have a care -- we share the outdoors with all kinds of critters.
          Most don't care to mess with us (only fire ants seem to want to go out of
          their way), but heads up is always good advise. [And poke before you
          look!]
          Digital Photography - Click Now.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTDvmTGDhrcs7qVs52ojRsc9lpkem9Bp49DyNZ6znOoWPtPsLg2eZK/
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
            What he said about boots... try a bunch on.
            But a good pair ... and good socks ... are worth it.
            When your feet go south, your whole experience goes south.

            On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 07:40:39 -0600 "Kevin (KoosKoos)"
            <centexgeocaching@...> writes:
            > I've had a few encounters with snakes on the trail, but usually it
            > was
            > just the "hey, look, a snake" variety. They're really not out to
            > mess
            > with us unless we stumble across them.
            >
            > However, while that's the general result, I did find a very
            > aggressive
            > coral snake while searching in the Barton Creek greenbelt. It
            > didn't
            > take kindly to me stepping closer to take a picture and turned on
            > me.
            > It gave chase for 5 or 6 steps until it decided I'd gotten the
            > message. I gave it a much wider berth as I went around its pile of
            > sticks to go for the cache.
            >
            > As far as hiking boots, you need to find something that fits your
            > foot. If you're just going to be doing casual hiking, the
            > varieties
            > at Academy will probably fit your need. Just try on brands/styles
            > and
            > WALK around a bit to make sure you have something comfortable.
            >
            > If you want to get a more serious boot, your best bet is to go to
            > REI
            > or Cabela's and work with someone that can fit you properly. You'll
            > pay more, but you'll have a pair of boots that should last years
            > and
            > years. My son and I both bought some recently (preparing for our
            > Boy
            > Scout 10 days of backpacking this summer) and the ones that fit his
            > foot the best were almost painful on mine. The bottom line is a
            > brand
            > or model line that someone loves may not be the right one for you.
            >
            > Kevin
            > KoosKooos
            >
            > On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 6:03 AM, mrs.browning
            > <mrs.browning@...> wrote:
            > > Hello!
            > > After seeing my second snake in three months of winter geocaching
            > > yesterday, and reading a log about a rattlesnake near the second
            > > redirector of the cache I was chasing (Trailhead Trial), I decided
            > it
            > > was time to invest in a pair of good hiking boots.
            > >
            > > Anyone had any encounters with snakes they would like to share
            > with
            > > the newbie?
            > >
            > > Also, does anyone recommend a good pair of comfortable hiking
            > boots? I
            > > would like the ankle supports, if possible.
            > >
            > > Thanks!

            Click here to save cash and find low rates on auto loans.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLaW1HrxkUztvs0lWvwEhV5WHo7Qu8EbVLUQPWpHkDqq0kcs8vZok/
          • Tiffany
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
              I have to agree with the others.  If your really going to invest in hiking boots...there isn't a brand that just fits everyone.  Take the time and spend the money.  When I was backpacking at first, (oh...I so need to do that again!!)  I had just a run of the mill pair..after one more extensive hiking weekend..I thought I needed to amputate my poor feet.  I immediately went to REI the next week fully prepared to spend whatever it took to make sure I had a pair of quality hiking boots.  Once I got those...they have never failed me!!

              Tiffany
              (just starting to geocache..been doing research and reading...finally scored the gps and now plotting where to start!!)

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
                The hiking boots won't help a lot in protecting you from snake bites.  For that you need something to protect your calves.  In Texas summer, that will get uncomfortable!
                Here are some snake proofing items:

                Barry

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Inspect all holes before sticking your hand in there!
                  I found a telephone-pole-sized fence post at GZ once.
                  It had a hole about 6" high by about 4" across about eye-level.
                  I was about to reach in and then shone the flashlight into the hole.
                  Good thing.  There staring back at me was a opossom baring his teeth!
                  Barry

                  <mrs.browning@ yahoo.com> writes:
                  > Hello!
                  > After seeing my second snake in three months of winter geocaching
                  > yesterday, and reading a log about a rattlesnake near the second
                  > redirector of the cache I was chasing (Trailhead Trial), I decided
                  > it
                  > was time to invest in a pair of good hiking boots.
                  >
                  > Anyone had any encounters with snakes they would like to share with
                  > the newbie?
                  >
                  > Also, does anyone recommend a good pair of comfortable hiking boots?
                  > would like the ankle supports, if possible.
                  >
                  > Thanks!

                  Well, I did see a meter long garter snake up on Enchanted Rock, but they
                  don't worry me.
                  I've also seen Texas Ratsnakes, and there was the cutest little pencil
                  sized gartersnake once who was trying to convince me he was a 6 foot
                  rattler -- SO ferocious. Yeah.
                  My closer calls have been with fireants and scorpions.

                  That said, if you do not have a tool to poke under things with, there's
                  usually a stick around ... don't just stick your hand in there.
                  Walking staffs are good.
                  You'll want to invest in a small multitool as well -- sometimes it
                  requires pliers or other aid to extract a fat log from a little cache
                  container. [We find the fingernail cleaner tool excellent for those
                  tasks).

                  Boots.
                  Love my Merrels.
                  Both Waterweasel and I wear the Merrell Moab Ventilators -- as
                  comfortable as a boot can get in Texas Summers (breathable)
                  I get the mid-high, because I need the ankle support -- I see them listed
                  on line for $90, and the HushPuppie store in the Outlet Mall had them for
                  $80 (but not my size -- 9). REI and Cabelas carry them.
                  From the moment those suckers went on my feet, oh, 3 or 4 years ago, I've
[...]

                • Barbara Dukette
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
                    That's where I saw the rattlesnake, also!  This is probably its home, and the redirector should be redirected.  Scary, scary.

                    Barbara (GiGi and JoJo)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
                      I once went in for a quick grab in a park. I was zeroing out at a tree and saw the hole at the bottom of the tree and could see the bottom of a film canister. Walked up bent over stuck hand in without looking first and thought why would the cache owner put fur around the container. Pulled my hand out quick just as a face came out and nipped the very tip of my finger. Turns out that I had awoken a opossum from it's sleep. Luckily it was more of a scratch then a bite but I decided that it could have that cache and I moved on.

                      Ken/joeking

                      On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:03:05 -0000 "mrs.browning"
                      <mrs.browning@ yahoo.com> writes:
                      > Hello!
                      > After seeing my second snake in three months of winter geocaching
                      > yesterday, and reading a log about a rattlesnake near the second
                      > redirector of the cache I was chasing (Trailhead Trial), I decided
                      > it
                      > was time to invest in a pair of good hiking boots.
                      >
                      > Anyone had any encounters with snakes they would like to share with
                      > the newbie?
                      >
                      > Also, does anyone recommend a good pair of comfortable hiking boots?
                      > would like the ankle supports, if possible.
                      >
                      > Thanks!

                      Well, I did see a meter long garter snake up on Enchanted Rock, but they
                      don't worry me.
                      I've also seen Texas Ratsnakes, and there was the cutest little pencil
                      sized gartersnake once who was trying to convince me he was a 6 foot
                      rattler -- SO ferocious. Yeah.
                      My closer calls have been with fireants and scorpions.

                      That said, if you do not have a tool to poke under things with, there's
                      usually a stick around ... don't just stick your hand in there.
                      Walking staffs are good.
                      You'll want to invest in a small multitool as well -- sometimes it
                      requires pliers or other aid to extract a fat log from a little cache
                      container. [We find the fingernail cleaner tool excellent for those
                      tasks).

                      Boots.
                      Love my Merrels.
                      Both Waterweasel and I wear the Merrell Moab Ventilators -- as
                      comfortable as a boot can get in Texas Summers (breathable)
                      I get the mid-high, because I need the ankle support -- I see them listed
                      on line for $90, and the HushPuppie store in the Outlet Mall had them for
                      $80 (but not my size -- 9). REI and Cabelas carry them.
                      From the moment those suckers went on my feet, oh, 3 or 4 years ago, I've
[...]

                    • deafdillos
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
                        After finding over 5,300 caches, we had encountered poisonous snakes
                        (rattlesnakes and coral snake) six times. Most recent one was
                        yesterday. At the Karma's TB Hotel cache, we found the cache that was
                        exposed due to the nearby pavement construction. I decided to move the
                        cache to other side of the tree. I gathered branches and sticks to
                        cover the cache. Right after dropping a large branch, a small
                        rattlesnake popped out of the hole in the branch. It was knocked out
                        then finally slithered away. What a scary moment! Yes I wore boots. No
                        bite.

                        Richard and Natalie
                        Deafdillos
                      • mrs.browning
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "deafdillos"
                          <deafdillos@...> wrote:

                          > After finding over 5,300 caches, we had encountered poisonous snakes
                          > (rattlesnakes and coral snake) six times. Most recent one was
                          > yesterday. At the Karma's TB Hotel cache, we found the cache that was
                          > exposed due to the nearby pavement construction. I decided to move the
                          > cache to other side of the tree. I gathered branches and sticks to
                          > cover the cache. Right after dropping a large branch, a small
                          > rattlesnake popped out of the hole in the branch. It was knocked out
                          > then finally slithered away. What a scary moment! Yes I wore boots. No
                          > bite.
                          >
                          > Richard and Natalie
                          > Deafdillos

                          Richard and Natalie,
                          That is scary! I would like to hear about your other encounters with
                          poisonous snakes. My son was bit in the backyard by a king snake when
                          he was 3. It leaped up and got him right between the forefinger and
                          thumb. I had no idea how to identify venomous vs. nonvenomous bites
                          then, until the paramedics got there. They said, in a nutshell,
                          venomous snakes will leave puncture marks from their fangs. The snake
                          that bit our son left four scratches from its TEETH (shudder). He was
                          fine.

                          My friend also said that there is a vaccine for dogs. We usually take
                          our two dogs with us, and I hope that will scare away any snakes
                          waiting for us.

                          browningfamily/Dana
                        • mrs.browning

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                              If you are ever out in nature, and are bitten by a snake and don't know if it is poisonous or not (or perhaps more especially if you "do know" it is poisonous), do the best you can to kill it and keep it with or near you.  That way, if you are not conscious when you are found, rescuers/medical personnel will know what you were bitten by and can administer the right anti-venom.
                              Barry

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:03:34 -0000 "mrs.browning"
                                <mrs.browning@...> writes:
                                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "deafdillos"
                                > <deafdillos@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > After finding over 5,300 caches, we had encountered poisonous
                                > snakes
                                > > (rattlesnakes and coral snake) six times. Most recent one was
                                > > yesterday. At the Karma's TB Hotel cache, we found the cache that
                                > was
                                > > exposed due to the nearby pavement construction. I decided to move
                                > the
                                > > cache to other side of the tree. I gathered branches and sticks
                                > > cover the cache. Right after dropping a large branch, a small
                                > > rattlesnake popped out of the hole in the branch. It was knocked
                                > out
                                > > then finally slithered away. What a scary moment! Yes I wore
                                > boots. No
                                > > bite.
                                > >
                                > > Richard and Natalie
                                > > Deafdillos
                                > >

                                > Richard and Natalie,
                                > That is scary! I would like to hear about your other encounters
                                > with
                                > poisonous snakes. My son was bit in the backyard by a king snake
                                > when
                                > he was 3. It leaped up and got him right between the forefinger and
                                > thumb. I had no idea how to identify venomous vs. nonvenomous bites
                                > then, until the paramedics got there. They said, in a nutshell,
                                > venomous snakes will leave puncture marks from their fangs. The
                                > snake
                                > that bit our son left four scratches from its TEETH (shudder). He
                                > was fine.

                                good thought -- though when I was tagged by a garter snake (I still *see*
                                it, though I was 3 or 4 at the time), it left distinct fang marks and my
                                hand swelled....
                                Totally freaked out my folks (well, we were an hour by rubber raft from
                                even the campsite -- two hours from medical help).
                                Though the phobia has calmed a great deal, snakes and I agree to
                                appreciate each other from a distance.

                                > My friend also said that there is a vaccine for dogs. We usually

                                There is

                                > take
                                > our two dogs with us, and I hope that will scare away any snakes
                                > waiting for us.

                                Well, remember, a snake's instinct isn't always to run, but to find a
                                defensive position.

                                Let's face it, poisonous critter interactions are rare, and bites rarer
                                and rarer still.
                                Just be sensible -- which is tough in the heat of a caching moment.
                                [Having ended up with a handful of scorpion myself -- we both went
                                AUUUGH! and leapt our separate ways. (Actually, they were silent AUGHS --
                                owner/muggle was watching, don't know if he even caught the whole
                                interaction. No harm, no foul ... just a bit of adrenalin lost to time.)

                                And, well, if there is a snake (or possum or coon or skunk) coiled around
                                one of MY caches -- send a photo and I'll give you the smiley. You don't
                                have to tattoo your sig on any hides (or vice versa).

                                =grins!=

                                BarbJ/Tygress
                                Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
                                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTMertibRiAidVLwd7dgCb2FL0JiAEFeQJwaWFYANGHykU8RHM3uxC/
                              • Carlinlb
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                  Great idea Barry, but how does one kill a snake? I have awful aim
                                  with rocks!

                                  I've seen a number of snakes and a couple of fang marks. If bitten,
                                  poisonous snakes leave fang marks (one or two) and also there is
                                  instant swelling and other sensations. Non poisonous snakes cause no
                                  extreme pain or swelling.

                                  Most poisonous snakes in Texas have blurry vertical patchy marks.
                                  None have horizontal stripes. The cotton mouth water moccasin can
                                  appear as solid dark or black color. So in general, if you come
                                  across a solid green snake or one with horizontal stripes along the
                                  length of the body, it's a friend.

                                  Carlin

                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Doc <bcwatson@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > If you are ever out in nature, and are bitten by a snake and don't
                                  know if it is poisonous or not (or perhaps more especially if you "do
                                  know" it is poisonous), do the best you can to kill it and keep it
                                  with or near you.  That way, if you are not conscious when you are
                                  found, rescuers/medical personnel will know what you were bitten by
                                  and can administer the right anti-venom.

                                  > Barry
                                  >
                                  > He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; avoid
                                  him.
                                  > He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach
                                  him.
                                  > He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep; wake him.
                                  > He who knows and knows that he knows is a wise man; follow him.

                                • Doc
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                    You do what you can...  don't pick up a small stone, pick up the largest you can and just drop it on him...  or use a branch...   main thing is to kill it so people who know, will be able identify it...   even if you are still able to get yourself to the ER, you should bring the snake (make sure it doesn't get loose in the ER...) so they can make sure...

                                    You don't want to answer their question with "I don't know..."
                                    Barry

                                  • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                      I just love the positive upbeat vibe I get from this group. ha ha Just kidding. Good advice.

                                      Jeri/JestrRulz

                                      In a message dated 3/3/2009 7:31:33 A.M. Central Standard Time, bcwatson@... writes:
                                      do the best you can to kill it and keep it with or near you.  That way, if you are not conscious when you are found, rescuers/medical personnel will know what you were bitten by and can administer the right anti-venom.

                                      Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.
                                    • electric_water_boy
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                        And if you and the snake both die, then know that the guy who finds you is probably going to make boots, a belt, and/or a hat band out of that snake. Or if you survive, you can. Odds are, unless you're hurt in some other way as well you'll get out alive. You may be pretty messed up, but you'll live. That's beats the heck out of other parts of the world where you may make two steps after being bitten by a snake.

                                      • Robert Thompson
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                          I not have run into snakes but have almost stepped on a rattle snake. I now wear hiking boots in the winter and high top snake proof boots during the summer. A nice size rattle snakes fangs can go through your standard hiking boot. That is if it does strike above the top of the regular hiking boots. Invest in some good snkae proof boots.