Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Shopping for containers (website for bison tubes)

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009

      On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:55:58 -0800 (PST) manny jimenez <handsoffh3@...> writes:

      > Ok, I think I have this geocaching thing down to a science
      fiction.
      > Now the thing is to start placing some for y'all to
      find.  I have
      > been shopping around for various containers and have
      the Folgers
      > cans, film canisters but what I am looking for is where are
      y'all
      > getting the micro tubes and nano containers at a decent
      price?  I
      > went to the GC website to the shop link and they wanted
      $4.50 for 1
      > nano container.  OMG! that is downright crazy.
      Surely there has to
      > be a place where they have them ata  decent
      price.

      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > Manny

      hands"will cache for food"off

      Note -- the metal coffee cans and tins do not weather well. Neither do the 'disposable' tupperware.
      If you don't want a lot of maintenance, you want to be looking for things with fool proof sealing mechanisms (even Army DCons tend to be too many sides to snap for some people).

      Ammocans do not rust ... but can be pricy.
      I've seen plastic tackle boxes work OK, but they're not as watertight as you'd think ... so the stuff inside can get, well, ugly.... once the weather gets wet again, you'll have the fun of paper mache logs and mouldy swag.

      Peanut butter jars, jellybelly jars, etc. of plastic hold *relatively* well -- though do better when swathed in duct tape (cammo duct tape can be found at Sports Authority, Cabellas, etc.... but even dark green or black will do (Michaels, Hobby Lobby).

      Avoid glass.

      That said -- you can get the old lunch bag plastic thermos soup containers -- tight seal, twist top -- cheaply at Good Will/Caring Place

      nanos -- those itty bitty ones -- buy by the dozen at sites like Oriental Trading Company -- they're the flashing jewelry (search on flashing or LED jewelry). The log goes in the battery spot.  Do mind, however, that you'll want to super or gorilla glue the magnets to them, because they tend to separate (more lost nanos that way).

      I have not tried them myself, but Scientific Supply can be a rich source of plastic 'specimen' containers.

      Bison tubes -- found the best selection/price (all sizes mini to mega) at South Mountain Traders ( www.southmountaintraders.com ); they also have ammoboxes, etc.
      Caveat -- the spherical ones that look really cool? I've found about half of them don't thread well, so can be tough to make sure of a good 'reconnect'

      The plastic match cases are great tough containers, and can be found at most sporting goods stores -- and Target will get 'em in for a buck a piece when they do the camping schtick in their dollar section. Heck, go straight to the dollar store.

      Best magnetic container? Those black key holders. Any auto supply. Check the Dollar Store, too.
      HOWEVER, you will want to bag the log.

      In fact, you probably want to bag the logs regardless. Larger caches -- zippy bags from wherever (do NOT put the pen in the bag -- destroys it really fast -- and you might have a spare or two in the cache). The jewelry size bags are easily picked up for not too much at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

      Oh, and one of the best containers? Those tubes m&m minis come in -- great seal, last forever! And you get your chocolate fix!

      Also, pill bottles are tough. HOWEVER -- CAVEAT!!!!! -- do NOT use a micro container with a narrower neck than body or we WILL curse you. I've spent more time trying to fish a log through a narrow neck. It's not hard to get a straight necked container, do us a favor (and don't think rubber bands hold up for more than a month). There are also these little key chain pill holders with offset openings -- they twist to seal. BRUTAL to retract the log, even with a multi-tool.

      [Mini multi-tools are essential, you'll find, anyway.]

      Over time, you'll get a great sense for what holds up. I troll sporting goods and home improvement stores for interesting containers -- though pvc pipe caches along side the road are, well, not very smart these days -- you have to anticipate muggle panic. We have LOTS of pill bottles now... (aging sucks) -- if folks would like some, we'll give them free to good cachers.

      Hope that helps!

      Tygress/BarbJ

      Free auto insurance quotes from top companies.

    • manny jimenez
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        Wow,

        That is a lot of great information.  For once, too much information is a good thing.  I have been taking lessons on what kind of containers to look for as far as hiding since I do agree that some of them, especially narrow necked pill bottles, are not the best to use.  I am going to stick with the basics of film containers and see about getting some bison tubes and nanos for now as I have a few places scouted for caches but need to get some adequate containers.

        Thank you very much.

        Manny
        hands"will FTF for a functional pen"off

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
          To overwhelm, appears to be my aim.... =g= enjoy!

          On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 09:57:51 -0800 (PST) manny jimenez <handsoffh3@...> writes:
          Wow,

          That is a lot of great information.  For once, too much information is a good thing.  I have been taking lessons on what kind of containers to look for as far as hiding since I do agree that some of them, especially narrow necked pill bottles, are not the best to use.  I am going to stick with the basics of film containers and see about getting some bison tubes and nanos for now as I have a few places scouted for caches but need to get some adequate containers.

          Thank you very much.

          Manny
          hands"will FTF for a functional pen"off

          Click here to find the perfect banking opportunity!