Bastrop State Park on FIRE!

  • A Allen (SEMIK)
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28 4:20 PM
      Geocachers, if you know fellow geocachers around that area, check on
      them! If you were planning to cache in that area, you will want to
      avoid it for a while. Barry Watson, DocGeo is who alerted me to the
      situation (and its all over the news) they are safe for now - sounds
      like the fire is moving toward Smithville. This wind will make it
      unpredictable.

      Barry said he'd provide an update later -- he's driving through the
      area on his way home.
    • A Allen (SEMIK)
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28 4:36 PM
        Continuous coverage is on news8austin right now.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "A Allen (SEMIK)"
        <al_allen327@...> wrote:

        > Geocachers, if you know fellow geocachers around that area, check on
        > them! If you were planning to cache in that area, you will want to
        > avoid it for a while. Barry Watson, DocGeo is who alerted me to the
        > situation (and its all over the news) they are safe for now - sounds
        > like the fire is moving toward Smithville. This wind will make it
        > unpredictable.
        >
        > Barry said he'd provide an update later -- he's driving through the
        > area on his way home.

      • Candy Lind
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28 7:48 PM
          WHAT A TRAGEDY!!

          We were at E-Rock today, didn't hear about this til we got home and
          got a msg from Barry (DocGeo) ... he plans to go out tomorrow to check
          on what areas are affected. I guess we'll know more after that. We
          just checked, & reports as of 7:30 or so were that the fire was only
          40% contained. PLEASE SAY A PRAYER for the park, staff and the
          firefighters!! Caches can be replaced; lives can't!

          Candy
          moosiegirl
        • Doc
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28 8:29 PM
            I had dinner in Bastrop this evening on my way home.  As I was finishing my meal some firefighters walked in to eat.  I chatted with them.  The fire stayed south of Park Rd 1-C.
            Park Map
            I drove through the park and along 1-C until I reached the back roads that I could take me north to my home and didn't see anyone or any sign of the fire...

            At least it was contained to the southeastern portion of the park.
            I guess we'll have to wait to see which of the caches in that area might have been lost....
            Someone on my commuter bus had to evacuate her home.
            Barry

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
              It seems to me that none of the geocaches may have been lost. I
              have uploaded the photos that I took this morning to my flickr
              account and they can be seen here:
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50971836@N00/sets/72157614631298354/

              Barry
              aka Doc Geo

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Doc <bcwatson@...>

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
                wow ... and yikes

                thanks, Barry

                On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 23:00:54 -0000 "Barry" <bcwatson@...> writes:
                > It seems to me that none of the geocaches may have been lost. I
                > have uploaded the photos that I took this morning to my flickr
                > account and they can be seen here:
                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/50971836@N00/sets/72157614631298354/
                >
                > Barry
                > aka Doc Geo
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Doc <bcwatson@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I had dinner in Bastrop this evening on my way home. As I was
                > finishing my meal some firefighters walked in to eat. I chatted
                > with
                > them. The fire stayed south of Park Rd 1-C.
                > > Park Map
                > > I drove through the park and along 1-C until I reached the back
                > roads that I could take me north to my home and didn't see anyone or
                >
                > any sign of the fire...
                > >
                > > At least it was contained to the southeastern portion of the
                > park.
                > > I guess we'll have to wait to see which of the caches in that area
                >
                > might have been lost....
                > > Someone on my commuter bus had to evacuate her home.
                > >
                > > Barry
                > >
                > > He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; avoid
                >
                > him.
                > > He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach
                > him.
                > > He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep; wake him.
                > > He who knows and knows that he knows is a wise man; follow him.

                Looking for insurance? Compare and save today. Click here.
                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTInoLkHRJSHx2PD3MYmfxtpNotdwV2IJ5NQF88I2RvIKe4iqLw7Gw/
              • Barry
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
                  Amazing! Map showing the area affected by the recent wildfire in Bastrop. According to the KML file from geocaching.com as shown on Google Earth, no caches were lost! But such a large area was!
                  http://home.kxan.com/images/wilderness_ridge_map.jpg
                  Barry
                  aka Doc Geo