For Those of You Who Ride Bicycles

  • peterhey2
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 16, 2009
      Hey Guys n Gals, just a friendly note of warning for those of you who
      ride bicycles. With the rash of accidents involving bicycles in the
      news lately, and because of my accident last August and the ensuing
      medical stuff, your personal injury protection insurance you carry in
      your auto policy WILL NOT cover you in the case of an accident with a
      motor vehicle. If the offending party is under insured, you will be in
      considerable financial trouble if you have a lot of medical costs as
      you will be held personally responsible for them.

      For those of you who dont ride - please be CYCLE AWARE when you are
      driving around our fair cities.

      Paparazzi Pete
    • Cybercat
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 16, 2009
        OMG!  I didn't know that!  I'll never ride in a busy area again!  Thanx for the heads up!
        Jana
        Hey Guys n Gals, just a friendly note of warning for those of you who
        ride bicycles. With the rash of accidents involving bicycles in the
        news lately, and because of my accident last August and the ensuing
        medical stuff, your personal injury protection insurance you carry in
        your auto policy WILL NOT cover you in the case of an accident with a
        motor vehicle. If the offending party is under insured, you will be in
        considerable financial trouble if you have a lot of medical costs as
        you will be held personally responsible for them.

        For those of you who dont ride - please be CYCLE AWARE when you are
        driving around our fair cities.

        Paparazzi Pete

        Checked by AVG.
      • Alan
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 16, 2009

          So, basically what you’re saying is that we now need to get bicycle insurance, if it exists, for un-insured/under insured motorists.

          I think I would probably consult a lawyer. I do hope your recovery is going well.

          Alan

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 16, 2009
            It *MAY* depend on your company/policy, too...

            BarbJ/Tygress

            On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:06:07 -0600 "Cybercat" <cybercat@...> writes:
            OMG!  I didn't know that!  I'll never ride in a busy area again!  Thanx for the heads up!
            Jana
            Hey Guys n Gals, just a friendly note of warning for those of you who
            ride bicycles. With the rash of accidents involving bicycles in the
            news lately, and because of my accident last August and the ensuing
            medical stuff, your personal injury protection insurance you carry in
            your auto policy WILL NOT cover you in the case of an accident with a
            motor vehicle. If the offending party is under insured, you will be in
            considerable financial trouble if you have a lot of medical costs as
            you will be held personally responsible for them.

            For those of you who dont ride - please be CYCLE AWARE when you are
            driving around our fair cities.

            Paparazzi Pete

            Checked by AVG.

            Click now for fast, effective bail bonds!

          • Julie Perrine
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 16, 2009

              I’m just a nice girl from a small town, but I wouldn’t have expected my auto insurance to pay when my accident had nothing to do with my automobile.  Am I alone?

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 16, 2009
                And this also goes for the un/underinsured trees. They got some of the best insurance policies ever. You'll never get them to pay your medical costs.

                Bob
                imapylet

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 16, 2009
                  I spent too many years deciding these kinds of issues. The insurance
                  company is correct.

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "peterhey2"
                  <peterhey2@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Guys n Gals, just a friendly note of warning for those of you who
                  > ride bicycles. With the rash of accidents involving bicycles in the
                  > news lately, and because of my accident last August and the ensuing
                  > medical stuff, your personal injury protection insurance you carry in
                  > your auto policy WILL NOT cover you in the case of an accident with a
                  > motor vehicle. If the offending party is under insured, you will be in
                  > considerable financial trouble if you have a lot of medical costs as
                  > you will be held personally responsible for them.
                  >
                  > For those of you who dont ride - please be CYCLE AWARE when you are
                  > driving around our fair cities.
                  >
                  > Paparazzi Pete

                • Maria "theJump"
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 17, 2009
                    hmmm ...

                    It would NEVER have occurred to me to look to my auto insurance for coverage if I were involved with something on a bicycle.

                    I guess that means that I think like you do, Julie ...

                    -Maria / TheJump

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 17, 2009
                      Now, we've known forever that you don't bark up the wrong tree.
                      Now you know WHY.

                      =wink=
                      Tygress

                      On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:47:42 -0800 (PST) Bob Nussbaum
                      <imapylet@...> writes:
                      And this also goes for the un/underinsured trees. They got some of the
                      best insurance policies ever. You'll never get them to pay your medical
                      costs.

                      Bob
                      imapylet

                      Click to find great rates on health insurance, save big, shop here.
                      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2PlfGM7pDxJx29thj13m2KDLez2iizyVpnXdT7KCfnOwwkS/
                    • Pete
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 17, 2009
                        Alan - a lawyer is handling my case, but it still doesnt change the fact that if someone who is either under or uninsured hits you while you are riding a bicycle, you are pretty much up a creek. I dont think collision insurance or personal injury protection is offered for bicycles, but I could be wrong.

                        Pete

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 17, 2009
                          Since you are riding on a two wheeled vehicle, your auto insurance will not cover you under its personal injury protection, since you are riding a vehicle that is not on your policy. Any insurance company, no matter who you have, will deny your claim if you have one. USAA denied mine. They dont feel any responsibility for covering you if you are on a two wheeled vehicle that is not insured by them, at least that is what the denial letter said.

                          @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 17, 2009
                            Not any more

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 17, 2009
                              Yep they are, that is why I am telling everyone about my experience because when you are out in your neighborhood riding your bicycle, you never give it a second thought. Now the real question is, how can you protect yourself in the event of such an accident. If the woman who hit me didnt have enough insurance to cover my medical costs, and in Texas the minimum required is only 25 thousand bucks, I would simply be out of luck.

                              <peterhey2@. ..> wrote:

                              > Hey Guys n Gals, just a friendly note of warning for those of you who
                              > ride bicycles. With the rash of accidents involving bicycles in the
                              > news lately, and because of my accident last August and the ensuing
                              > medical stuff, your personal injury protection insurance you carry in
                              > your auto policy WILL NOT cover you in the case of an accident with a
                              > motor vehicle. If the offending party is under insured, you will be in
                              > considerable financial trouble if you have a lot of medical costs as
                              > you will be held personally responsible for them.
                              >
                              > For those of you who dont ride - please be CYCLE AWARE when you are
                              > driving around our fair cities.
                              >
                              > Paparazzi Pete

                            • Doc
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 18, 2009
                                Isn't this what health insurance is for?
                                Not to mention all the other things that can happen while geocaching....

                                Barry
                                aka Doc Geo

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 18, 2009
                                  Again, depends on the policy.
                                  My home owners, vanilla version, doesn't cover the art, so you add a rider. If you want Flood Protection (or Earthquake in those zones), you have to purchase additional coverage (and Flood, particularly, is cost prohibitive).
                                  Now, 30 years ago, it was possible to get personal injury and other insurance for the bike. Depends on the company, and how much you're willing to pay. It may be that most of us consider injury on a bike to be like injury on a trail... it flops over into the Health Insurance department. That said, I have a fair bit of kind and unkind things that could be said about Insurance Companies in general, given my mood at the moment.

                                  Moral: read the fine print, be clear on what and what is not covered. Don't assume. Aaaaand.... I'm truly sorry, Pete. Underinsured motorists are a bigger problem than the bicycle accident issue. Too often they are the ones that need insurance most.

                                  On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:11:32 -0800 (PST) Pete <peterhey2@...> writes:
                                  Since you are riding on a two wheeled vehicle, your auto insurance will not cover you under its personal injury protection, since you are riding a vehicle that is not on your policy. Any insurance company, no matter who you have, will deny your claim if you have one. USAA denied mine. They dont feel any responsibility for covering you if you are on a two wheeled vehicle that is not insured by them, at least that is what the denial letter said.

                                  It *MAY* depend on your company/policy, too...

                                  BarbJ/Tygress

                                  Click here to save cash and find low rates on auto loans.

                                • Dan Miner
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 18, 2009
                                    > Posted by: "Pete"
                                    > Date: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:15 pm ((PST))
                                    >
                                    > Yep they are, that is why I am telling everyone about my
                                    > experience because when you are out in your neighborhood
                                    > riding your bicycle, you never give it a second thought. Now
                                    > the real question is, how can you protect yourself in the
                                    > event of such an accident. If the woman who hit me didnt have
                                    > enough insurance to cover my medical costs, and in Texas the
                                    > minimum required is only 25 thousand bucks, I would simply be
                                    > out of luck.

                                    Doesn't your normal medical insurance cover this? Is there
                                    some upper limit on medical coverage for bicycle accidents?
                                    I broke my ankle in April while mountain biking and my
                                    (admittedly small) bills were paid.

                                    - Dan (WhiteShark)
                                  • Pete
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 19, 2009
                                      Yep that is what it is for, BUT, this is still a motor vehicle accident. Medicare expects total reimbursement from the party who caused the accident. I am liable for the rest (co pays etc) if their insurance isnt enough to cover.

                                      <peterhey2@. ..> wrote:

                                      > Hey Guys n Gals, just a friendly note of warning for those of you who
                                      > ride bicycles. With the rash of accidents involving bicycles in the
                                      > news lately, and because of my accident last August and the ensuing
                                      > medical stuff, your personal injury protection insurance you carry in
                                      > your auto policy WILL NOT cover you in the case of an accident with a
                                      > motor vehicle. If the offending party is under insured, you will be in
                                      > considerable financial trouble if you have a lot of medical costs as
                                      > you will be held personally responsible for them.
                                      >
                                      > For those of you who dont ride - please be CYCLE AWARE when you are
                                      > driving around our fair cities.
                                      >
                                      > Paparazzi Pete

                                    • Pete
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 19, 2009
                                        I agree on the underinsured motorists, there are too many of them around. With the proper attorney at the helm, I could own their home, BUT, I am a nice guy and have no intention of doing that. All I want is my medical expenses covered and maybe see her go back to drivers ed to learn what hand signals mean. Luckilly she doesnt have the minum required by the State of Texas - that needs to be corrected too it is WAY TO LOW

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 19, 2009
                                          As I have mentioned previously, yes my health insurance paid the bills - - BUT - - since this was a motor vehicle accident, the insurance company expects to be reimbursed for the bills they have paid but the auto insurance of the offending party. You should see the paperwork lol