Re: Missing custom waypoint symbols in MapSource

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2009
      I saw this on another group. Haven't tried it so I don't know if it
      solves the problem or not, but might be worth a try:

      "6.15.3 has a bug. Previous versions (e.g.
      6.13.7) reads custom symbols from

      My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols\

      6.15.3 reads them from

      My Documents\My Garmin\

      The solution? COPY the BMP files from one folder to the other."

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Dedear"
      <ldedear@...> wrote:

      > I had custom waypoint symbols working in MapSource version 6.13.4. The
      > bitmap files were in "My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols"
      > as described in the MapSource help and in many online references. I
      > upgraded MapSource to version 6.15.3 and the custom waypoint symbols
      > don't work any more. They don't show up on maps of GDB files that
      > showed them before, and they don't show up in the Symbol drop-down list
      > on the Waypoint Properties dialog.
      >
      > I have restarted my computer, removed and replaced the bitmap files
      > (and checked their names, dimensions, and color depth) and removed and
      > reinstalled MapSource. Still no custom waypoint symbols. Has anyone
      > else had (and solved) this problem? Thanks.
      >
      > --Lee
      > "Suchmann"

    • Lee Dedear
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2009
        That didn't work for me, but it gave me another idea about searching for the answer (include the word "bug"!). I found this on the Groundspeak forums at http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/lofiversion/index.php?t212175.html and it fixed the problem.

        "I've checked with a file monitor. It first checks the directory for existance (My Documents\My Garmin), but then it reads the icons from c:\garmin, so it looks like a bug (feature?) somewhere"

        Well, indeed - the individual .bmp files must be in the c:\Garmin directory (and not a sub-folder) for custom waypoint symbols to work. Thanks for the tip.

        --Lee

        "Suchmann"