Mobility-Challenged Cacher seeks Same

  • Maria "theJump"
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009
      Hi there,

      News here is that I have injured my knee and am on crutches but I still want to GEOCACHE!  So here I am, a mobility-challenged cacher, looking for others who are either challenged similarly OR just like to move slowly who might want to go out and cache together ...

      And yes, I know lots will now ask, what happened, so now I will answer that question.  Feel free to skip the rest of this :-D

      Back in December I committed trauma to my knee doing some sprints on the treadmill.  Assuming that it was a soft-tissue injury (which it probably was in addition to the rest of it), I did what every good sports med doctor would have told me ... I gave it Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation (RICE).  I was working overtime on a paper I was writing so it was no big deal.  As time has passed, it was time to start increasing my normal activities and as I did it became apparent that there was still a problem.  Long story short, I had an MRI this week and was diagnosed with an osteochondral lesion on the weight-bearing portion of my femur.  Basically I have a divot in my femur ... the other problem is that there is a huge bruise which encompasses most of the end of my femur all the way up and into the bone marrow (did you know that bone marrow can bruise?).  The prognosis is surgery  and then some number of weeks of healing.  I go to see an orthopedic on Tuesday.

      :)

      -Maria / TheJump
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009

        Buggers!  Sorry to hear about this.  If Barb and I set up a PNG run, we'll let you know!

        Russ the waterweasel

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
          one word:
          OWWWWW!

          On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:52:04 -0600 "Maria \"theJump\"" <thejump@...> writes:
[...]

          Get a degree and open new doors. Click to find flexible and affordable programs now.

        • Pete
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
            Well thats a big OWWWWW for sure. I too have had my mobility problems lately. First there was the lady in the automobile who decided that I needed to be run over while riding my bicycle. That ended up with pins in the hip. When that didnt work - the ortho decided to remove the pins and do a total hip (just call me titaniac) which was completed over the Christmas holiday. To add insult to injury, I let the dog out the front door on her retractable leash and she saw a cat and took off. The result of that one was I was slammed into the door facing and now have some broken toes on my right foot. The hip replacement was on the left side so now walking is tons of fun.

            For the moment I have decided not to do anything in the woods unless I can just sit there and watch. At least the pain meds help so my advice is get the surgery done, recover from that, do what the physical terrorist tells you to do and then get back out there. Not that you will listen lol.

            Paparazzi Pete

            PS Get better soon

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009
              Ah, Pete.... Good Thinks.

[...]