Re: Etiquette question--cache adoption procedures

  • Ed Anderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 26, 2009
      Candy,

      Thanks for being proactive. I checked on this cache yesterday while I
      was doing maintenance on one of mine nearby. I had noticed the recent
      DNFs and thought I should check on it. It is NOT there, at least not
      where I had found it in November. The rocks that had covered the
      location were strewn about and no container was in sight. I have a
      replacement container set to go but I can't get out there until
      tomorrow.

      Given the apparent muggling, do you think its vulnerable where it is?

      I will email Prime Reviewer about helping keep this cache going.

      Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

      <candylind@...> wrote:

      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, shawnolsen@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Wouldn't you just replace it with a new cache after a period of in
      > activity
      > > if it was a good spot!?
      > >

      > > Actually, per the changes in the Groundspeak guidelines, you
      CAN'T do
      > > a forced adoption at all. It's part of their "liability reducing"
      > > plan ...
      >
      > OK, no more suggestions, we know that GC dot com will archive this
      if we
      > don't do something PROactive about it, so I am sending Matt
      > (PrimeReviewer) a message that it is now on my watchlist and we'll
      be
      > taking care of it as a community since the owner is AWOL and it is a
      > "Heritage Cache" ... Shawn, those of us who've been around for a
      while
      > would like to preserve our geocache heritage by keeping the oldest
      > caches in the area going, and this one holds a particular place in
      MY
      > heart because it provided me with an opportunity to get my OWN GPSr
      > instead of always letting Trey and/or Wayne "drive" when we were
      > caching.
      >
      > Ed, would you please do the same (write Prime), and one or two
      others
      > who are willing to assist, and I'll see about getting down there to
      make
      > sure it is definitely gone. We have been there pretty recently with
      2
      > separate groups and it was just fine at that time.
      >
      > For those who haven't visited, we are talking about GC3B9A
      > <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2e06d3d2-
      3468-43\
      > ee-977a-04e31199fcfa> . Look WAYYYYY back in the logs to see the
      story
      > about Trey's GPS tragedy at this cache. [:O] [:((] [:D]
      >
      > Happy Trails, "Heritage Cachers"!!
      > Candy
      > Moosiegirl

    • Ed Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2009
        Here's the reponse I received from Prime Reviewer when I asked about
        the group maintaining the cache:

        -----------------------------
        You'll have to contact the owner, and have them initiate a transfer.
        The cache is their property, and we don't have the authority to
        assign someone's property to someone else.

        Making minor repairs is okay, but replacing a cache you don't own is
        not a good idea. It can cause major problems, and if there's an issue
        with the cache, emails to the owner never reach the person
        maintaining the cache, so they won't be informed of any possible
        property issues, or issues with cache contents.
        -----------------------------

        I don't want to upset things by replacing something I shouldn't. If
        the owners don't respond (they haven't yet), how do you think I
        should proceed?

        Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

        <candylind@...> wrote:

        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, shawnolsen@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Wouldn't you just replace it with a new cache after a period of in
        > activity
        > > if it was a good spot!?
        > >

        > > Actually, per the changes in the Groundspeak guidelines, you
        CAN'T do
        > > a forced adoption at all. It's part of their "liability reducing"
        > > plan ...
        >
        > OK, no more suggestions, we know that GC dot com will archive this
        if we
        > don't do something PROactive about it, so I am sending Matt
        > (PrimeReviewer) a message that it is now on my watchlist and we'll
        be
        > taking care of it as a community since the owner is AWOL and it is a
        > "Heritage Cache" ... Shawn, those of us who've been around for a
        while
        > would like to preserve our geocache heritage by keeping the oldest
        > caches in the area going, and this one holds a particular place in
        MY
        > heart because it provided me with an opportunity to get my OWN GPSr
        > instead of always letting Trey and/or Wayne "drive" when we were
        > caching.
        >
        > Ed, would you please do the same (write Prime), and one or two
        others
        > who are willing to assist, and I'll see about getting down there to
        make
        > sure it is definitely gone. We have been there pretty recently with
        2
        > separate groups and it was just fine at that time.
        >
        > For those who haven't visited, we are talking about GC3B9A
        > <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2e06d3d2-
        3468-43\
        > ee-977a-04e31199fcfa> . Look WAYYYYY back in the logs to see the
        story
        > about Trey's GPS tragedy at this cache. [:O] [:((] [:D]
        >
        > Happy Trails, "Heritage Cachers"!!
        > Candy
        > Moosiegirl

      • Julie Perrine
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2009

          Ed,

          Prime is telling you what GC.com’s official policy is.  They don’t want to take on the LEGAL responsibility of telling you that YOU can mess with someone’s property.  That’s fine and understandable.  That being said, you don’t need their permission do this “maintenance” on a geocache.  We geocachers tend to think this is common courtesy, not that different than replacing a soggy log or supplying a new baggie.

          You’ve made a sincere effort.  Replace the container and put a watch on it.

          Cheers,

          Julie

          href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2e06d3d2-">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2e06d3d2-
          3468-43\
          > ee-977a-04e31199fcfa> . Look WAYYYYY back in the logs to see the
          story
          > about Trey's GPS tragedy at this cache. [:O] [:((] [:D]
          >
          > Happy Trails, "Heritage Cachers"!!
          > Candy
          > Moosiegirl

        • Ed Anderson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2009
            Thanks, Julie,

            This makes perfect sense. I agree that it seems common courtesy to
            fix things up.

            Cheers,
            Ed

            <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

            > Ed,
            >
            > Prime is telling you what GC.com's official policy is. They don't
            want to
            > take on the LEGAL responsibility of telling you that YOU can mess
            with
            > someone's property. That's fine and understandable. That being
            said, you
            > don't need their permission do this "maintenance" on a geocache. We
            > geocachers tend to think this is common courtesy, not that
            different than
            > replacing a soggy log or supplying a new baggie.
            >

            > You've made a sincere effort. Replace the container and put a
            watch on it.

            > Cheers,
            >
            > Julie

            Anderson