Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Request for help

  • Angry Armadillo
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2003
      If noone else who has done this one volunteers I'd be
      willing to go out and find it to show the parks
      department even though I haven't found this one yet.
      I've got nothing better to do as it is.

      Tony

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Candy Lind <candylind@email.com>
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2003
        Well, Trey indicated we're going out there, but I say, "THE MORE THE
        MERRIER"!!! Tony, if you and Moose (and Shannon if she's off), or
        anyone else, want to go out, let's show them how interested we are
        with a nice "group encounter". Team Tracker (Jay and Cheryl) might
        want to go so they can FIND the caches too. Give me a holler if you
        think you want to go. We'll give a full report here after the fact.

        Happy Trails,
        Candy

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Eoghan <eoghan@s...>"
        <eoghan@s...> wrote:
        > ... this is a request (once again) for a little local help.
        > So, the question is: Would someone who has already found all the
        > legs of the cache (and who thinks they can find them easily again)
        > be willing to volunteer for a visit to Bastrop to show Mr.
        > McClanahan where the caches are located?

        > On a related note, when I respond to Mr. McClanahan, I'd like to
        > let him know about the locations of the letterboxes that I've
        > hidden in the parks. Has anyone on this list also found the
        > Lost Pines and 'O'-Knots letterboxes?
        > (http://www.sharawadgi.com/letterbox/lostpines.html and
        > http://www.sharawadgi.com/letterbox/Oknots.html)
        > Thanks in advance,
        > -Eoghan
      • Angry Armadillo
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
          --- "Candy Lind <candylind@...>"
          <candylind@...> wrote:
          > Well, Trey indicated we're going out there, but I
          > say, "THE MORE THE
          > MERRIER"!!! Tony, if you and Moose (and Shannon if
          > she's off), or
          > anyone else, want to go out, let's show them how
          > interested we are
          > with a nice "group encounter". Team Tracker (Jay and
          > Cheryl) might
          > want to go so they can FIND the caches too. Give me
          > a holler if you
          > think you want to go. We'll give a full report here
          > after the fact.

          We can sure try to make it. I'm finally going to start
          working again so schedules are going to be hectic.

          Tony

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Angry Armadillo
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
            All,

            Today I talked to the manager for the new park near
            Cedar Park that is scheduled to open in the next few
            weeks. I talked to him about geocaching and explained
            what it is we do. He was very cordial and open to us
            placing caches in the park. We hit it off well after
            he recognized my last name and the history in Texas
            behind it. He said it seemed a good use of the new
            park. There are a few areas that are going to be off
            limits because of newly discovered caves and sensitive
            wildlife though. I told him that I'd be happy to meet
            with him out there when I go to place the first cache.
            I'd show him where it is so he can let his people know
            about it and what those idiots walking around in
            circles with cellphones in their hands are doing. He
            even seemed open to it being placed way off track in
            the far reaches of the park if the impact would be
            minimal. He said he'd give me a map of the park and
            give me a tour to show what areas are off-limits. The
            park as it is developed now is only about 1/3rd of its
            total size so there are areas you can go and see some
            real Hill Country karst and springs and such. They are
            discovering new caves all the time out there so there
            are some dangerous areas and that's why he'd like to
            meet and go over the placement.
            He did say he'd prefer a single point of contact to
            the caching world so he didn't have to explain what
            areas are and are not off limits to dozens of folks. I
            told him I'd try to get the word out to talk to me
            first and that I'd be happy to go out with any new
            cache placers to make sure that things are fine.

            All in all, it was a very good talk.

            Tony Fannin
            Team Bohica

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
              WAY TO GO, TONY!!!! Thanks for this all-important first contact.
              We'll have to ask them to work up a little "policy statement" that we
              can post, so people know what to expect. Let me know, if you would,
              when you are going out; I may try to go with you, or at list let
              you "fill me in" after you go, so I can place this new "group cache"
              after you get yours going.

              Happy Trails,
              Candy

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Angry Armadillo
              <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
              > Today I talked to the manager for the new park near
              > Cedar Park that is scheduled to open in the next few
              > weeks. I talked to him about geocaching and explained
              > what it is we do ...
              > ... He said he'd give me a map of the park and
              > give me a tour to show what areas are off-limits. The
              > park as it is developed now is only about 1/3rd of its
              > total size so there are areas you can go and see some
              > real Hill Country karst and springs and such...
              > ... He did say he'd prefer a single point of contact to
              > the caching world so he didn't have to explain what
              > areas are and are not off limits to dozens of folks.
            • Tony Fannin
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 14, 2003
                --- "Candy Lind <candylind@...>"
                <candylind@...> wrote:
                > WAY TO GO, TONY!!!! Thanks for this all-important
                > first contact.
                > We'll have to ask them to work up a little "policy
                > statement" that we
                > can post, so people know what to expect. Let me
                > know, if you would,
                > when you are going out; I may try to go with you, or
                > at list let
                > you "fill me in" after you go, so I can place this
                > new "group cache"
                > after you get yours going.

                He said give him a call in a couple weeks. The park
                looks like it'll open in about 3. I was out there
                yesterday and it looks really nice. It also looks to
                be a really busy place once open and people start
                discovering it so a well hidden cache will be a
                necessity. There are about 6 full-size soccer fields,
                about that many baseball diamonds, and basketball
                courts too. There are also the beginnings of a decent
                hike-bike trail system going in from what I saw. He
                had no problem with geocachers hiking all over. His
                main worry seemed to be mountain bikers because they
                can sometime really rip up terrain with their trails.
                I told him that we'd move our caches every 6 to 9
                months to avoid 'social trails' getting really
                entrenched.
                When I do meet with him I'll let everyone know and try
                to setup a meeting with a few interested folks. As far
                as the first cache, Candy, if you want we can put
                together the one you collected items for at the party.
                I've got the ammocan for it already. I'll need to see
                where it'll be placed so I can camo it first though.

                Tony
                Team Bohica

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • Dick Young
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Recently we have some nice caches placed in this new williamson County
                  park. The park is 840 acres! It makes you wonder what the county has
                  in store for this space. WaaLa...check this out
                  http://tinyurl.com/u2ruv
                  I'm excited!
                  Cache on,
                  Blizzard aka