Uploading multi route

  • Priscilla Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2009
      I'm trying to upload a kml file that is a "multi" route. We took the
      suggested route from google earth and put it in google maps and changed
      the route to how we wanted to go. It has been saved as a kml file and
      is well under 500 miles. I can break this up into 3 parts and have been
      able to upload them but it will not upload the full route. What am I
      doing wrong as I'm just learning.
      Thanks - Priscilla/prissyd1
    • indigo_parrish
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2009
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Priscilla Davis"
        <prissyd@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to upload a kml file that is a "multi" route. We took the
        > suggested route from google earth and put it in google maps and changed
        > the route to how we wanted to go. It has been saved as a kml file and
        > is well under 500 miles. I can break this up into 3 parts and have been
        > able to upload them but it will not upload the full route. What am I
        > doing wrong as I'm just learning.
        > Thanks - Priscilla/prissyd1

        Hi Priscilla --

        I figured out how to do that after much trial and error.

        In Google Maps, be sure to enter your intended real start and real
        final destination. Choose "Get Directions" and let it route the most
        direct route.

        Now is the key part :
        Do NOT add additional stops via "Add Destination".

        Instead, move your mouse over the route and drag the path to be more
        like what you want via "Drag to change route". Repeat this many times
        if necessary until the route is as convoluted as you want and need it.

        Then save the route out as KML like you normally do.

        Now start up Google Earth and load the KML file.

        This will add a new folder under "Temporary Places".
        Open up that folder.
        You will see a long list of diretions.
        At the very end is an object called "Route".

        Right-click on that route and choose "Save Place As" to save out _just
        the route_ as its own KML file.

        This final resulting KML file will load perfectly at geocaching.com
        for use as a route in "Find Caches along a Route".

        I used this process flawlessly for a recent roundabout road trip to
        the Regency Bridge in Mills/San Saba Counties.

        I hope that helps!

        -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
      • prissyd@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
          Thank you so much. I managed to piece meal a route together for my trip but this will be a big help from here on out.

          Thanks,
          Priscilla Davis/prissyd