Request for help

  • Eoghan <eoghan@sharawadgi.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2003
      Howdy ya'll.
      Hope you're all out enjoying the Sweetheart event cache tonight. We'd
      love to be there but it's a little too far south to drive for the
      evening. ;)
      Now that Rach and I are so far north, we obviously can't do much in
      terms of immediate cache maintenance.
      So, this is a request (once again) for a little local help.

      The following post showed up on the "Pumpkin Princess' Lost Pines
      Challenge" cache logs
      (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1635)

      "Hey Pumkin Princess, as a representative of TPWD and Bastrop State
      Park, I would like to go out to this site with you or anyone else if
      you have time. I first, would like to know where it is for safety
      purposes (in case someone gets injured and needs assistance, then I
      will know where they are) and second to make sure this cache is in an
      appropriate location. I know these caches are located in state parks
      and I do think they have a place in recreation, I think if these are
      located in parks, then the park managers should be aware of them in
      case of an emergency or other occurrence. Please feel free to email
      me at todd.mcclanahan@.... I know there are 3 others in
      Bastrop and Buescher, so I will post this on those sites as well.
      Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you."

      Besides being really impressed with the tone of the comments (It's
      great to hear from land managers that support geocaching), I was glad
      he has such a tolerant attitude towards a cache that was placed
      (admittedly quite awhile ago before anyone ever really asked) without
      prior approval. If only the Colorado counties' open space parks
      people were so pleasant.

      So, the question is: Would someone who has already found all the legs
      of the cache (and who thinks they can find them easily again) be
      willing to volunteer for a visit to Bastrop to show Mr. McClanahan
      where the caches are located?

      Perhaps someone who would be going out anyway to show him their
      caches?

      On a related note, when I respond to Mr. McClanahan, I'd like to let
      him know about the locations of the letterboxes that I've hidden in
      the parks. Has anyone on this list also found the Lost Pines and 'O'-
      Knots letterboxes?
      (http://www.sharawadgi.com/letterbox/lostpines.html and
      http://www.sharawadgi.com/letterbox/Oknots.html)

      Any help at all would be very much appreciated. I'll probably wait
      for a day or so before responding so if you would be willing to help,
      you can post here. That way I can write him and let him know what's
      going on.

      Thanks in advance,
      -Eoghan
    • Trey Bielefeld
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2003
        We (moosegirl, ydx3075 and TreyB) got this same post in our cache . I've
        already sent Todd from Bastrop State park an email to setup an appointment.
        I also volunteered us to walk him through Pumpkin Princess' Lost Pines
        Challenge since ya'll are in Colorado.

        Thanks,
        Trey

        > Hope you're all out enjoying the Sweetheart event cache tonight. We'd
        > love to be there but it's a little too far south to drive for the
        > evening. ;)
        > Now that Rach and I are so far north, we obviously can't do much in
        > terms of immediate cache maintenance.
        > So, this is a request (once again) for a little local help.
        >
        > The following post showed up on the "Pumpkin Princess' Lost Pines
        > Challenge" cache logs
        > (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1635)
        >
        > "Hey Pumkin Princess, as a representative of TPWD and Bastrop State
        > Park, I would like to go out to this site with you or anyone else if
        > you have time. I first, would like to know where it is for safety
        > purposes (in case someone gets injured and needs assistance, then I
        > will know where they are) and second to make sure this cache is in an
        > appropriate location. I know these caches are located in state parks
        > and I do think they have a place in recreation, I think if these are
        > located in parks, then the park managers should be aware of them in
        > case of an emergency or other occurrence. Please feel free to email
        > me at todd.mcclanahan@.... I know there are 3 others in
        > Bastrop and Buescher, so I will post this on those sites as well.
        > Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you."
        >
        > Besides being really impressed with the tone of the comments (It's
        > great to hear from land managers that support geocaching), I was glad
        > he has such a tolerant attitude towards a cache that was placed
        > (admittedly quite awhile ago before anyone ever really asked) without
        > prior approval. If only the Colorado counties' open space parks
        > people were so pleasant.
        >
        > So, the question is: Would someone who has already found all the legs
        > of the cache (and who thinks they can find them easily again) be
        > willing to volunteer for a visit to Bastrop to show Mr. McClanahan
        > where the caches are located?
        >
        > Perhaps someone who would be going out anyway to show him their
        > caches?
        >
        > On a related note, when I respond to Mr. McClanahan, I'd like to let
        > him know about the locations of the letterboxes that I've hidden in
        > the parks. Has anyone on this list also found the Lost Pines and 'O'-
        > Knots letterboxes?
        > (http://www.sharawadgi.com/letterbox/lostpines.html and
        > http://www.sharawadgi.com/letterbox/Oknots.html)
        >
        > Any help at all would be very much appreciated. I'll probably wait
        > for a day or so before responding so if you would be willing to help,
        > you can post here. That way I can write him and let him know what's
        > going on.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > -Eoghan

      • Angry Armadillo
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2003
          If noone else who has done this one volunteers I'd be
          willing to go out and find it to show the parks
          department even though I haven't found this one yet.
          I've got nothing better to do as it is.

          Tony

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Candy Lind <candylind@email.com>
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2003
            Well, Trey indicated we're going out there, but I say, "THE MORE THE
            MERRIER"!!! Tony, if you and Moose (and Shannon if she's off), or
            anyone else, want to go out, let's show them how interested we are
            with a nice "group encounter". Team Tracker (Jay and Cheryl) might
            want to go so they can FIND the caches too. Give me a holler if you
            think you want to go. We'll give a full report here after the fact.

            Happy Trails,
            Candy

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Eoghan <eoghan@s...>"
            <eoghan@s...> wrote:
            > ... this is a request (once again) for a little local help.
            > So, the question is: Would someone who has already found all the
            > legs of the cache (and who thinks they can find them easily again)
            > be willing to volunteer for a visit to Bastrop to show Mr.
            > McClanahan where the caches are located?

            > On a related note, when I respond to Mr. McClanahan, I'd like to
            > let him know about the locations of the letterboxes that I've
            > hidden in the parks. Has anyone on this list also found the
            > Lost Pines and 'O'-Knots letterboxes?
            > (http://www.sharawadgi.com/letterbox/lostpines.html and
            > http://www.sharawadgi.com/letterbox/Oknots.html)
            > Thanks in advance,
            > -Eoghan
          • Angry Armadillo
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
              --- "Candy Lind <candylind@...>"
              <candylind@...> wrote:
              > Well, Trey indicated we're going out there, but I
              > say, "THE MORE THE
              > MERRIER"!!! Tony, if you and Moose (and Shannon if
              > she's off), or
              > anyone else, want to go out, let's show them how
              > interested we are
              > with a nice "group encounter". Team Tracker (Jay and
              > Cheryl) might
              > want to go so they can FIND the caches too. Give me
              > a holler if you
              > think you want to go. We'll give a full report here
              > after the fact.

              We can sure try to make it. I'm finally going to start
              working again so schedules are going to be hectic.

              Tony

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Angry Armadillo
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
                All,

                Today I talked to the manager for the new park near
                Cedar Park that is scheduled to open in the next few
                weeks. I talked to him about geocaching and explained
                what it is we do. He was very cordial and open to us
                placing caches in the park. We hit it off well after
                he recognized my last name and the history in Texas
                behind it. He said it seemed a good use of the new
                park. There are a few areas that are going to be off
                limits because of newly discovered caves and sensitive
                wildlife though. I told him that I'd be happy to meet
                with him out there when I go to place the first cache.
                I'd show him where it is so he can let his people know
                about it and what those idiots walking around in
                circles with cellphones in their hands are doing. He
                even seemed open to it being placed way off track in
                the far reaches of the park if the impact would be
                minimal. He said he'd give me a map of the park and
                give me a tour to show what areas are off-limits. The
                park as it is developed now is only about 1/3rd of its
                total size so there are areas you can go and see some
                real Hill Country karst and springs and such. They are
                discovering new caves all the time out there so there
                are some dangerous areas and that's why he'd like to
                meet and go over the placement.
                He did say he'd prefer a single point of contact to
                the caching world so he didn't have to explain what
                areas are and are not off limits to dozens of folks. I
                told him I'd try to get the word out to talk to me
                first and that I'd be happy to go out with any new
                cache placers to make sure that things are fine.

                All in all, it was a very good talk.

                Tony Fannin
                Team Bohica

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
                  WAY TO GO, TONY!!!! Thanks for this all-important first contact.
                  We'll have to ask them to work up a little "policy statement" that we
                  can post, so people know what to expect. Let me know, if you would,
                  when you are going out; I may try to go with you, or at list let
                  you "fill me in" after you go, so I can place this new "group cache"
                  after you get yours going.

                  Happy Trails,
                  Candy

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Angry Armadillo
                  <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
                  > Today I talked to the manager for the new park near
                  > Cedar Park that is scheduled to open in the next few
                  > weeks. I talked to him about geocaching and explained
                  > what it is we do ...
                  > ... He said he'd give me a map of the park and
                  > give me a tour to show what areas are off-limits. The
                  > park as it is developed now is only about 1/3rd of its
                  > total size so there are areas you can go and see some
                  > real Hill Country karst and springs and such...
                  > ... He did say he'd prefer a single point of contact to
                  > the caching world so he didn't have to explain what
                  > areas are and are not off limits to dozens of folks.
                • Tony Fannin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 14, 2003
                    --- "Candy Lind <candylind@...>"
                    <candylind@...> wrote:
                    > WAY TO GO, TONY!!!! Thanks for this all-important
                    > first contact.
                    > We'll have to ask them to work up a little "policy
                    > statement" that we
                    > can post, so people know what to expect. Let me
                    > know, if you would,
                    > when you are going out; I may try to go with you, or
                    > at list let
                    > you "fill me in" after you go, so I can place this
                    > new "group cache"
                    > after you get yours going.

                    He said give him a call in a couple weeks. The park
                    looks like it'll open in about 3. I was out there
                    yesterday and it looks really nice. It also looks to
                    be a really busy place once open and people start
                    discovering it so a well hidden cache will be a
                    necessity. There are about 6 full-size soccer fields,
                    about that many baseball diamonds, and basketball
                    courts too. There are also the beginnings of a decent
                    hike-bike trail system going in from what I saw. He
                    had no problem with geocachers hiking all over. His
                    main worry seemed to be mountain bikers because they
                    can sometime really rip up terrain with their trails.
                    I told him that we'd move our caches every 6 to 9
                    months to avoid 'social trails' getting really
                    entrenched.
                    When I do meet with him I'll let everyone know and try
                    to setup a meeting with a few interested folks. As far
                    as the first cache, Candy, if you want we can put
                    together the one you collected items for at the party.
                    I've got the ammocan for it already. I'll need to see
                    where it'll be placed so I can camo it first though.

                    Tony
                    Team Bohica

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                  • Dick Young
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Recently we have some nice caches placed in this new williamson County
                      park. The park is 840 acres! It makes you wonder what the county has
                      in store for this space. WaaLa...check this out
                      http://tinyurl.com/u2ruv
                      I'm excited!
                      Cache on,
                      Blizzard aka