115CW Caching Run

  • jestrrrulz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
      I'm considering a day/weekend power caching run on a series I ran across while driving home during Christmas. It's the 115CW series stretching from Santa Anna/Coleman to Abilene. On that 60 mile stretch, there are 112 caches of the 115CW series plus another 20 or so within .2 of HWY 84.  That doesn't include any on the route from here to Santa Anna.

      So all of you long timer/high numbers folks out there who have gone on a power series is it worth it? That's a dumb question. Let's see - I guess - do you have any advice or words of wisdom? ha ha Oh heck - just share a power run story.

      Jeri/JestrRulz

      BTW - it may seem a ways to drive, but work is very slow right now and weekends are even slower. ~yawn~

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
        >I'm considering a day/weekend power caching run on a series I ran<
        >across while driving home during Christmas. It's the 115CW series<
        >stretching from Santa Anna/Coleman to Abilene.<

        All I can say is more power to ya. I'm into numbers as much as the
        next guy/gal, but that series has a good bit of boring written all
        over it. Our family traveled from Killeen to Abilene in November for
        my daughter's 4-H regional food competition. We cached plenty along
        the way, but we went out of our way to avoid the 115 Cache Weekend
        series. We drove past A LOT of them. I think I'd lose all interest
        in caching if I had to look at all that guardrail, all in one day.
        But that's just one cacher's opinion.

        If you do go, best of luck, stay safe and happy hunting!

        Mark
        (BoP)
      • bcwatson@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
          I take you have already done the Getting the Goose series
          Have you done TreyB's Shortcut series ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1C6H5 )?

          Or, for 160 caches, there's always the Chaparral Trail:
          Barry

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009

            Here’s my view of it.

            When you power cache, it becomes no longer about the caches, but 1) spending the day with your friends having fun, and 2) going after a goal (your biggest day, 100 in a day, whatever).  I’ve done runs where they are all keyhiders on guardrails, and my best day (11 hours actually) of 174 caches was on logging roads in east Texas where each of the hides was unique and different in a very cool place.  The most important thing was that I was ramming around with my friends.

            Of course, I’d recommend the fun logging roads over the guardrails, but you know what?  I didn’t know that I was heading for fun caches on logging roads until I got there.  So you never know…….and that’s part of the fun, too!

            The only thing I’d say is that everyone in the car needs to agree what the goal is before you head out.  That way, there are no false expectations.  Carry snacks and drinks.  Have FUN.  When you get bored, stop!

            It will be what you make it.

            Enjoy,

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
              Lord - that one sounds a blast. I had chosen this one because it'd end with seeing some of my family. Of course - East Texas would do that as well. LMAO

              I have a few pals I'm running it by... we'll see if they bite. ha ha

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009

                Oh, did I forget to say…..Don’t take non-geocachers.  They will NOT understand!

                Cheers,

                Julie

                Mrs. Captain Picard (every time because my email address might not be my caching name)