State Parks

  • puerto_rican_jew2003
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2 5:29 PM
      Looking for answer to a question from you less computer challenged types.

      Is there a way to overlay the trails from the state park maps on top
      of garmin topos in my GPSr?

      If so, what is the process or, better yet, has someone already done it
      and do I just need to download it from somewhere?

      Puerto
      (John)
    • Maria "theJump"

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2 6:06 PM
          We're heading up to Pedernales Falls State Park for the weekend. We're
          taking a few friends and are going to introduce them to the sport.
          It looks like there are quite a few hides in the area so, we probably
          wont get to them all. Are there any must-sees among them?
        • Maria "theJump"
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2 6:23 PM
            Well ... I don't know what others think and I'm sure they will pipe in here ... but ... my favorite cache in that park is the Cycle Central Texas, Jones Spring cache followed closely by the Pioneer Cache ... of course, the Troop 70 Bonus Cache was nominated as one of the best caches for 2007 ... I really enjoyed the Puppy Love series too though a bunch of that is outside the park on the drive out (or back) ...

            What do others think ...

            I'll look tomorrow to see if I have track logs ... am not sure I do if someone else does :)

            -Maria / TheJump

            On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 8:06 PM, puerto_rican_jew2003 <puertoricanjew@...> wrote:

            We're heading up to Pedernales Falls State Park for the weekend. We're
            taking a few friends and are going to introduce them to the sport.
            It looks like there are quite a few hides in the area so, we probably
            wont get to them all. Are there any must-sees among them?

          • Barbara Dukette
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2 6:30 PM
              There's one called Gnome sweet home that's a great find.  Have fun in the park,
              Barbara (GiGi and JoJo)

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2 8:07 PM
                The one that is in the little cave near the falls gives people trouble.
                Obviously you lose signal inside a cave.
                Go up the left arm as far as you can go, then reach out with your right
                hand.
                The cache (if it's still active) was a 35mm film can behind a rock at
                floor level.
                Still, it's fun to do.

                On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 02:06:44 -0000 "puerto_rican_jew2003"
                <puertoricanjew@...> writes:
                > We're heading up to Pedernales Falls State Park for the weekend.
                > We're
                > taking a few friends and are going to introduce them to the sport.
                > It looks like there are quite a few hides in the area so, we
                > probably
                > wont get to them all. Are there any must-sees among them?

                Paying too much credit card interest? Find low APR credit cards. Click here.
                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2Oq3qpO3EfuTErIDXB13VtBkzel5l1RzQr1g2gKdwoUFMAC/
              • Brent
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2 8:24 PM
                  It's possible, but it's not likely something you can accomplish by
                  this weekend if you haven't already done some Garmin mapmaking. Also,
                  as Maria said, their maps often aren't very accurate. An easier and
                  more accurate way to see the trails is to download the tracks from here:
                  http://texashiking.com/Hiking/SearchResults.aspx
                  Falls trail and Wolf Mountain trail are already in the gpx format, but
                  the 4-mile Loop is still in the Maptech format. I can convert that one
                  for you if you'd like. Just contact me by email.

                  Brent

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "puerto_rican_jew2003"
                  <puertoricanjew@...> wrote:

                  > Looking for answer to a question from you less computer challenged
                  types.

                  > Is there a way to overlay the trails from the state park maps on top
                  > of garmin topos in my GPSr?
                  >
                  > If so, what is the process or, better yet, has someone already done it
                  > and do I just need to download it from somewhere?
                  >
                  > Puerto
                  > (John)

                • Brent
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2 9:13 PM
                    > http://texashiking.com/Hiking/SearchResults.aspx

                    If that link doesn't bring up the 4 trails for you, perform a new
                    search and search for keyword "Pedernales"

                    Brent
                  • Julie Perrine
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2 9:28 PM

                      If you take the Wolf Mountain Trail to get to Cycle Central Texas – Jones Springs, you’ll pass several caches on the way.  There’s a good, wide trail all the way there and it’s perfect for mountain biking!

                      And help everyone out by using your name and your caching name!

                      Cheers,

                    • engelwaffen@suddenlink.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 2 11:27 PM
                        On the topic of state parks and this question is directed at Maria.  When you found Lighthouse did you travel off the top of the cliff along some kind of fence line?   A sort of way that would be far easier than the arduois climb up a rather steep scree slope?  The question i present to you would be if you have a log of the trip still on your GPS some where and could send it to me So I could find this "easier" route to Lighthouse.

                        I tried about three times to get this one but I'm not real good about climbing that steep dolimite slope.

                        Thanks;
                        don/amishangel