Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: DeLorme PN-40 on sale

  • Cindy
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 30, 2008
      Thanks guys,  Now I just need someone to buy one for me :)

      Cindy
      Cindyfrag

      On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Mike <geocaching@...> wrote:

      Yes, sorry I should have made that clear, Brent is quite correct. GSAK
      can export files that Topo-7 (The Delorme software) can read and then
      export to the PN-40. There's just no direct route yet.

      Mike

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <banda@...> wrote:

      > GSAK won't load the waypoints directly to the PN-40, but you can click
      > on "file" then "export" and export the file in either the DeLorme
      > format or GPX format, then use the Delorme software to load them into
      > the PN-40.
      > Brent

    • Brent
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
        Update: The price at jr.com has gone up to $340, but Walmart has them
        for $275+tax. (free shipping if sent to a store for pickup)
        http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10759794
        Note: Today may be the last day at this price. (the end of "cyberweek")

        Brent

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <banda@...> wrote:

        > Speaking of sales, here's a great deal on a DeLorme PN-40:
        > http://www.jr.com/delorme-mapping/pe/DLB_GPSPN40/
        > And the geocaching details:
        > http://tinyurl.com/653uy6

      • Brent
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 29, 2009
          Well, the firmware is finally released to the public:
          http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18545

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:

          > After reading the geocaching details page, I'm salivating...   Of course it's all "on the drawing boards for now", but I sure want to see one with the new firmware when it's ready!  Someone other than Garmin realizing the potential in geocacher sales finally....
          >

          > Barry

        • d_rubarb
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 29, 2009
            I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
            Way to Go!

            Drew (KangaDrew)

          • Mrs. Captain Picard
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009

              That girl is bustin’ it UP!

              Congratulations, Mel!

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                whoop whoop!

                On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 23:34:53 -0700 (PDT) d_rubarb <d_rubarb@...>
                writes:

                I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000
                finds
                Way to Go!

                Drew (KangaDrew)

                @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                God have mercy on the man who doubts what hes sure of. -- Bruce
                Springsteen; Brilliant Disguise
                Click here to become a professional counselor in less time than you think.
                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTOk50BoIUY9uJsG0YrurnpGnjgCUU80bS95Oxlz91t3gdE7fAZLsU/
              • Audra Allen
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                  Awesome! Congrats, Melanie!  *Now* all those crazy trips to F'burg and East Texas make sense  ;-)  Onward!

                  Audra

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009

                    Way to go, Melanie!  Huzzah!

                    Russ the waterweasel

                    I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                    Way to Go!

                    Drew (KangaDrew)

                  • Heather Ford
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                      Congrats, congrats!

                      Heather, Grace, & the twins

                      (Ronin's Gal/Ronin's Ayame/and the yet-to-be-geonamed baby cachers)

                      I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                      Way to Go!

                      Drew (KangaDrew)

                    • Cybercat
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                        Just stop hangin' around with Julie and you can have your normal life back.  Or NOT!!  :-)
                        Congratulations!
                        Jana
                        (Ronin's Gal/Ronin's Ayame/and the yet-to-be-geonamed baby cachers)

                        I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                        Way to Go!

                        Drew (KangaDrew)

                      • Mary Beth Booth
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                          Congrats - you are gonna leave the rest of the B.A.D. team in the dust if you keep caching with Julie.
                          Mary Beth & Pat
                          (emmy-n-sapphie

                          I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                          Way to Go!

                          Drew (KangaDrew)

                        • Nathaniel Dickerman
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009

                            I think that was done LONG ago!

                            Nathaniel

                            Grn Beret 2B

                            Congrats - you are gonna leave the rest of the B.A.D. team in the dust if you keep caching with Julie.

                            Mary Beth & Pat

                            (emmy-n-sapphie

                            I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds

                            Way to Go!

                            Drew (KangaDrew)

                          • Maria "theJump"
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                              Interested in whether anybody other than me has one of these lovely units ...

                              -Maria / TheJump

                              On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Brent <banda@...> wrote:

                              Well, the firmware is finally released to the public:
                              http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18545

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:

                              > After reading the geocaching details page, I'm salivating...   Of course it's all "on the drawing boards for now", but I sure want to see one with the new firmware when it's ready!  Someone other than Garmin realizing the potential in geocacher sales finally....
                              >

                              > Barry

                            • acclanman
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                Thanks everyone for the congrats. They really made my day.

                                If you weren't out there hiding caches, I couldn't be out there finding them. Keep up the great work.

                                Julie has been an influence on me - I guess it depends on who you talk to if it is good or bad. It sure has been a fun run for me!

                                Melanie
                                (ACCLanMan)

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, d_rubarb <d_rubarb@...> wrote:

                                > I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                                > Way to Go!
                                >
                                > Drew (KangaDrew)

                              • Brent
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                  I do!

                                  Brent
                                  (BandA)

                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria \"theJump\"" <thejump@...> wrote:

                                  > Interested in whether anybody other than me has one of these lovely units
                                  >
                                  > -Maria / TheJump
                                  >
                                  > On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Brent <banda@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > Well, the firmware is finally released to the public:
                                  > > http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18545
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com<CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                  > > Doc <bcwatson@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > After reading the geocaching details page, I'm salivating... Of course
                                  > > it's all "on the drawing boards for now", but I sure want to see one with
                                  > > the new firmware when it's ready! Someone other than Garmin realizing the
                                  > > potential in geocacher sales finally....
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Barry

                                • Frankie
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 1, 2009
                                    Was curious how you liked this unit for caching. Considering the paperless part of it and all. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60 series model and it is good if you don't need the notes. :)

                                    s0me0ne - Steve

                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 1, 2009
                                      It's great for geocaching! No more need for printouts, pda, etc. All the cache page info is right there on your screen. It also makes it very easy to log your caches, as you can upload the "fieldnotes" automatically on GC.com.

                                      Here is a link to some screenshots. The text is a bit out of date, as the "send to gps" functionality is already there, but the photos show you what's available on the unit.

                                      http://blog.delorme.com/2009/01/31/paperless-caching-update/

                                      Brent

                                      PS. Don't forget that there are USGS topo maps and Hi-Res aerial photo maps available for it to! That's another awesome feature of this gps.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 1, 2009
                                        Here you can see some examples of the aerial photos in use on the unit:

                                        http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/geocaching-features-for-the-mac-and-pc/

                                        Brent
                                      • Maria "theJump"
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 1, 2009
                                          I got the Delorme for my birthday and have just starting using it.  Having said that here's some thoughts:

                                          I currently also own a Garmin Colorado ...

                                          1) The accuracy of the Delorme is phenominal and still blows me away.  I get very little bounce that I used to get with my 78CSx and that I get just too much of with my Colorado.  With the Colorado it would not be uncommon for me to walk off in completely the wrong direction.  The accuracy is comparable if not just a little bit better than the 60CSx

                                          2) I ADORE paperless caching and having the description on my GPSr.  This is the reason I upgraded to the Colorado in the first place.  The Colorado is great for this but the interface for entering text (the wheel) is really it's downfall.  I know that the Oregon addresses this.  I do think that the Delorme has done a better job at taking advantage of marking a cache found/not found, etc on the unit and then uploading that information through the fieldnotes by allowing you to add a signature, automatically adding TFTC and such.

                                          3) There are some serious limitations in the Delorme's routing algorithms so if you use your device while driving you need to be aware of this.

                                          4) There is no "official" support from Delorme to load caches into the new geocaching framework on the PN-20/40 other than using the "Send to GPS" function from gc.com.  This means that the only way to officially load caches is one at a time.  You can still load them as waypoints through their software but doing so limits the geocaching functionality that you can use on the unit.  Having said that, Delorme is working on "Cache Register" to address this problem, and in the meanwhile, there is some guy that has written a script that will load your Delmore from any GPX file.  I've used this script everytime I've loaded and it's pretty good but there is a bug where there's a small probability (<1%) that a particular cache did not load (for example, I send a file that has 500 caches in the GPX and it load 497 of them)

                                          Having said all of that ... I think the Delorme has real potential to become the premier geocaching unit especially with the mapping options ($30/year for unlimited downloading of road maps, topo maps, satellite imagery, etc).

                                          -Maria / TheJump