Cache Maintenance

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2008
      Greetings everyone!

      I've been noticing an increase in the number of "needs maintenance"
      log entries as of late. This might just be my imagination. But
      anywhoo, I think this is awesome. Cache finders reporting troubled
      caches is a great way to keep the sport/hobby/obsession going strong.
      It takes quite a bit of the burden of going out and checking on
      caches off the shoulders of cache hiders. I wholeheartedly encourage
      the practice.

      That being said, I would like to encourage everyone to do a little
      maintenance on caches while they are out in the field. I don't
      necessarily mean replacing containers or moving caches when they seem
      to be in trouble spots. What I do mean is carry some spare log
      sheets, log books, zip ties, bread twisties, small zip-lock baggies or
      any other small items that might prove useful in making small repairs.
      I try to carry a small cache repair kit when I'm out and about. I
      would encourage all cachers to do the same. This kit doesn't have to
      be extravagant or cumbersome. But these little things can make a big
      difference. It helps to further lighten the burden of cache
      maintenance on cache owners and the game benefits by improving the
      quality of caching by minimizing cache downtime.

      *Disclaimer*
      I know that a great many cachers already practice this. That is
      awesome. My message is not a rant. Just some food for thought.
      </geocaching public service announcement>

      Have a great day and happy caching!

      Mark
      (BoP)