DeLorme PN-40 on sale

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 27, 2008
      Speaking of sales, here's a great deal on a DeLorme PN-40:
      http://www.jr.com/delorme-mapping/pe/DLB_GPSPN40/
      And the geocaching details:
      http://tinyurl.com/653uy6
    • Doc
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 28, 2008
        After reading the geocaching details page, I'm salivating...   Of course it's all "on the drawing boards for now", but I sure want to see one with the new firmware when it's ready!  Someone other than Garmin realizing the potential in geocacher sales finally....

        Barry

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 29, 2008
            I haven't used one yet myself, but you might find these reviews helpful:
            http://www.gpsreview.net/delorme-pn-40/
            http://tinyurl.com/5znlnd
            Brent

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Cindy <cindyfrag@...>
            wrote:

            > I really need a new GPS and was thinking about putting one on my
            wish list
            > for Christmas or my birthday which is in January.
            > I don't know much about DeLormes. Any feedback from other users out
            there?
            > How do they compare to Garmins?
            > Cindy
            > Cindyfrag
            >
            > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Brent <banda@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Speaking of sales, here's a great deal on a DeLorme PN-40:
            > > http://www.jr.com/delorme-mapping/pe/DLB_GPSPN40/
            > > And the geocaching details:
            > > http://tinyurl.com/653uy6

          • Cindy
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 29, 2008

              Thanks, I'll check them out.  I don't see an option in GSAK for delorme's. That could be a big issue for me.

              wrote:

              > > I really need a new GPS and was thinking about putting one on my wish list > for Christmas or m...

              > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Brent <banda@...> wrote: > > > Speaking of sales, here's a grea...

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 30, 2008
                > Thanks, I'll check them out. I don't see an option in GSAK for
                delorme's.
                > That could be a big issue for me.

                No - GSAK does not currently support the DeLorme custom protocol. GSAK
                uses GPSBabel to communicate with GPS units and if/when GPSBabel adds
                Delorme 'speak' then GSAK will have it too. The user base was
                previously too small for GPSBabel to worry about it but, if the PN-40
                is a success, then Robert Lipe (chief Babel Head) may raise its priority.

                Mike
              • Brent
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 30, 2008
                  GSAK won't load the waypoints directly to the PN-40, but you can click
                  on "file" then "export" and export the file in either the DeLorme
                  format or GPX format, then use the Delorme software to load them into
                  the PN-40.
                  Brent

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <geocaching@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > Thanks, I'll check them out. I don't see an option in GSAK for
                  > delorme's.
                  > > That could be a big issue for me.
                  >
                  > No - GSAK does not currently support the DeLorme custom protocol. GSAK
                  > uses GPSBabel to communicate with GPS units and if/when GPSBabel adds
                  > Delorme 'speak' then GSAK will have it too. The user base was
                  > previously too small for GPSBabel to worry about it but, if the PN-40
                  > is a success, then Robert Lipe (chief Babel Head) may raise its
                  priority.

                  > Mike

                • Sherrill Farrell
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 30, 2008
                    Cindy,

                    ask Kris she has a DeLorme and I just ask her....she still uses gsak
                    Sherrill
                    aka Ms_D_Meaner

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 30, 2008
                      Yes, sorry I should have made that clear, Brent is quite correct. GSAK
                      can export files that Topo-7 (The Delorme software) can read and then
                      export to the PN-40. There's just no direct route yet.

                      Mike

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <banda@...> wrote:

                      > GSAK won't load the waypoints directly to the PN-40, but you can click
                      > on "file" then "export" and export the file in either the DeLorme
                      > format or GPX format, then use the Delorme software to load them into
                      > the PN-40.
                      > Brent

                    • Cindy
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 30, 2008
                        Thanks guys,  Now I just need someone to buy one for me :)

                        Cindy
                        Cindyfrag

                        On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Mike <geocaching@...> wrote:

                        Yes, sorry I should have made that clear, Brent is quite correct. GSAK
                        can export files that Topo-7 (The Delorme software) can read and then
                        export to the PN-40. There's just no direct route yet.

                        Mike

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <banda@...> wrote:

                        > GSAK won't load the waypoints directly to the PN-40, but you can click
                        > on "file" then "export" and export the file in either the DeLorme
                        > format or GPX format, then use the Delorme software to load them into
                        > the PN-40.
                        > Brent

                      • Brent
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                          Update: The price at jr.com has gone up to $340, but Walmart has them
                          for $275+tax. (free shipping if sent to a store for pickup)
                          http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10759794
                          Note: Today may be the last day at this price. (the end of "cyberweek")

                          Brent

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <banda@...> wrote:

                          > Speaking of sales, here's a great deal on a DeLorme PN-40:
                          > http://www.jr.com/delorme-mapping/pe/DLB_GPSPN40/
                          > And the geocaching details:
                          > http://tinyurl.com/653uy6

                        • Brent
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 29, 2009
                            Well, the firmware is finally released to the public:
                            http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18545

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:

                            > After reading the geocaching details page, I'm salivating...   Of course it's all "on the drawing boards for now", but I sure want to see one with the new firmware when it's ready!  Someone other than Garmin realizing the potential in geocacher sales finally....
                            >

                            > Barry

                          • d_rubarb
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 29, 2009
                              I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                              Way to Go!

                              Drew (KangaDrew)

                            • Mrs. Captain Picard
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009

                                That girl is bustin’ it UP!

                                Congratulations, Mel!

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                  whoop whoop!

                                  On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 23:34:53 -0700 (PDT) d_rubarb <d_rubarb@...>
                                  writes:

                                  I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000
                                  finds
                                  Way to Go!

                                  Drew (KangaDrew)

                                  @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                  God have mercy on the man who doubts what hes sure of. -- Bruce
                                  Springsteen; Brilliant Disguise
                                  Click here to become a professional counselor in less time than you think.
                                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTOk50BoIUY9uJsG0YrurnpGnjgCUU80bS95Oxlz91t3gdE7fAZLsU/
                                • Audra Allen
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                    Awesome! Congrats, Melanie!  *Now* all those crazy trips to F'burg and East Texas make sense  ;-)  Onward!

                                    Audra

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009

                                      Way to go, Melanie!  Huzzah!

                                      Russ the waterweasel

                                      I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                                      Way to Go!

                                      Drew (KangaDrew)

                                    • Heather Ford
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                        Congrats, congrats!

                                        Heather, Grace, & the twins

                                        (Ronin's Gal/Ronin's Ayame/and the yet-to-be-geonamed baby cachers)

                                        I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                                        Way to Go!

                                        Drew (KangaDrew)

                                      • Cybercat
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                          Just stop hangin' around with Julie and you can have your normal life back.  Or NOT!!  :-)
                                          Congratulations!
                                          Jana
                                          (Ronin's Gal/Ronin's Ayame/and the yet-to-be-geonamed baby cachers)

                                          I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                                          Way to Go!

                                          Drew (KangaDrew)

                                        • Mary Beth Booth
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                            Congrats - you are gonna leave the rest of the B.A.D. team in the dust if you keep caching with Julie.
                                            Mary Beth & Pat
                                            (emmy-n-sapphie

                                            I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                                            Way to Go!

                                            Drew (KangaDrew)

                                          • Nathaniel Dickerman
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009

                                              I think that was done LONG ago!

                                              Nathaniel

                                              Grn Beret 2B

                                              Congrats - you are gonna leave the rest of the B.A.D. team in the dust if you keep caching with Julie.

                                              Mary Beth & Pat

                                              (emmy-n-sapphie

                                              I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds

                                              Way to Go!

                                              Drew (KangaDrew)

                                            • Maria "theJump"
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                                Interested in whether anybody other than me has one of these lovely units ...

                                                -Maria / TheJump

                                                On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Brent <banda@...> wrote:

                                                Well, the firmware is finally released to the public:
                                                http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18545

                                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:

                                                > After reading the geocaching details page, I'm salivating...   Of course it's all "on the drawing boards for now", but I sure want to see one with the new firmware when it's ready!  Someone other than Garmin realizing the potential in geocacher sales finally....
                                                >

                                                > Barry

                                              • acclanman
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                                  Thanks everyone for the congrats. They really made my day.

                                                  If you weren't out there hiding caches, I couldn't be out there finding them. Keep up the great work.

                                                  Julie has been an influence on me - I guess it depends on who you talk to if it is good or bad. It sure has been a fun run for me!

                                                  Melanie
                                                  (ACCLanMan)

                                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, d_rubarb <d_rubarb@...> wrote:

                                                  > I'm probably a few days late, but I just noticed Melanie went past 4000 finds
                                                  > Way to Go!
                                                  >
                                                  > Drew (KangaDrew)

                                                • Brent
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 30, 2009
                                                    I do!

                                                    Brent
                                                    (BandA)

                                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Maria \"theJump\"" <thejump@...> wrote:

                                                    > Interested in whether anybody other than me has one of these lovely units
                                                    >
                                                    > -Maria / TheJump
                                                    >
                                                    > On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Brent <banda@...> wrote:
                                                    >

                                                    > > Well, the firmware is finally released to the public:
                                                    > > http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=18545
                                                    > >
                                                    > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com<CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                                    > > Doc <bcwatson@> wrote:
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > After reading the geocaching details page, I'm salivating... Of course
                                                    > > it's all "on the drawing boards for now", but I sure want to see one with
                                                    > > the new firmware when it's ready! Someone other than Garmin realizing the
                                                    > > potential in geocacher sales finally....
                                                    > > >

                                                    > > > Barry

                                                  • Frankie
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , May 1 7:55 AM
                                                      Was curious how you liked this unit for caching. Considering the paperless part of it and all. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60 series model and it is good if you don't need the notes. :)

                                                      s0me0ne - Steve

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , May 1 10:27 AM
                                                        It's great for geocaching! No more need for printouts, pda, etc. All the cache page info is right there on your screen. It also makes it very easy to log your caches, as you can upload the "fieldnotes" automatically on GC.com.

                                                        Here is a link to some screenshots. The text is a bit out of date, as the "send to gps" functionality is already there, but the photos show you what's available on the unit.

                                                        http://blog.delorme.com/2009/01/31/paperless-caching-update/

                                                        Brent

                                                        PS. Don't forget that there are USGS topo maps and Hi-Res aerial photo maps available for it to! That's another awesome feature of this gps.

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , May 1 10:34 AM
                                                          Here you can see some examples of the aerial photos in use on the unit:

                                                          http://blog.delorme.com/2008/11/11/geocaching-features-for-the-mac-and-pc/

                                                          Brent
                                                        • Maria "theJump"
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , May 1 11:40 AM
                                                            I got the Delorme for my birthday and have just starting using it.  Having said that here's some thoughts:

                                                            I currently also own a Garmin Colorado ...

                                                            1) The accuracy of the Delorme is phenominal and still blows me away.  I get very little bounce that I used to get with my 78CSx and that I get just too much of with my Colorado.  With the Colorado it would not be uncommon for me to walk off in completely the wrong direction.  The accuracy is comparable if not just a little bit better than the 60CSx

                                                            2) I ADORE paperless caching and having the description on my GPSr.  This is the reason I upgraded to the Colorado in the first place.  The Colorado is great for this but the interface for entering text (the wheel) is really it's downfall.  I know that the Oregon addresses this.  I do think that the Delorme has done a better job at taking advantage of marking a cache found/not found, etc on the unit and then uploading that information through the fieldnotes by allowing you to add a signature, automatically adding TFTC and such.

                                                            3) There are some serious limitations in the Delorme's routing algorithms so if you use your device while driving you need to be aware of this.

                                                            4) There is no "official" support from Delorme to load caches into the new geocaching framework on the PN-20/40 other than using the "Send to GPS" function from gc.com.  This means that the only way to officially load caches is one at a time.  You can still load them as waypoints through their software but doing so limits the geocaching functionality that you can use on the unit.  Having said that, Delorme is working on "Cache Register" to address this problem, and in the meanwhile, there is some guy that has written a script that will load your Delmore from any GPX file.  I've used this script everytime I've loaded and it's pretty good but there is a bug where there's a small probability (<1%) that a particular cache did not load (for example, I send a file that has 500 caches in the GPX and it load 497 of them)

                                                            Having said all of that ... I think the Delorme has real potential to become the premier geocaching unit especially with the mapping options ($30/year for unlimited downloading of road maps, topo maps, satellite imagery, etc).

                                                            -Maria / TheJump