My geocaching "finds" yesterday...

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 10, 2008
      I went hunting geocaches yesterday after saying goodbye to dragonscale365 and bernsa (vacationing from New Jersey) after we found Carnivorous Slobbinus).  As I hiked through BCG (I tend to do a lot of bushwhacking and difficult climbs), I stumbled across a few interesting items.  These were far off from any trail...  (Check out the pics at regular size)

      Barry

      For those of you who have trouble keeping track of your little kids,
      this may help: :)
      http://shop. groundspeak. com/productDetai l.cfm?CategoryID =7&ProductID= 146

      (I think it's cute!)

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 10, 2008
        Ah, the wonders of caching!

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 10, 2008
          Thanks dragonscale and Doc Geo for letting me crash in on the Carniverous action.  Just as Doc Geo came across some junk, I've also come across junk in the 60 caches I've found in Texas this past week which surprised me.  There's old and interesting junk like the old tin pots and pans near a cache in Longhorn Caverns, and not much further up the road, the Castle View picnic cache - the entire area was just covered in junk.  And I just thought it was us in New Jersey that trashed our backwoods - To be fair I've witnessed some true trash heaps while caching at home though - some of which are unrivaled here.

          Thanks for putting out all of the awesome caches Texas - I'll see you next year.

          When in Jersey be sure to look us up: www.centraljerseygeocachers.net (Yes a shameful plug =P ).  I'm so ashamed.

          @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
            I had a file of my finds sent to me from the Pocket Queries page by clicking on the "Add to queue" button.   When I try to import into GSAK, it only imports 2000 geocaches.  I opened the GPX file in a word processor and saw that my latest finds were in there, but why is GSAK only importing 2000 geocaches?
            It has worked correctly before....
            Barry

          • Cheryl
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
              I'm not sure what the problem is but I have been experencing problems
              also. I created a pocket query of 'my finds' for EWB, who has just
              over 1000. When I loaded them into GSAK the dates do not load. I have
              emailed Clyde about the problem but have not heard back.

              Cheryl/CADrake
              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:

              > I had a file of my finds sent to me from the Pocket Queries page by
              clicking on the "Add to queue" button.   When I try to import into
              GSAK, it only imports 2000 geocaches.  I opened the GPX file in a word
              processor and saw that my latest finds were in there, but why is GSAK
              only importing 2000 geocaches?

              > It has worked correctly before....
              >
              > Barry
              >
              > He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; avoid him.
              > He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him.
              > He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep; wake him.
              > He who knows and knows that he knows is a wise man; follow him.

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 15, 2008
                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl"
                <cheryl_ann_1967@...> wrote:

                > I created a pocket query of 'my finds' for EWB, who has just
                > over 1000. When I loaded them into GSAK the dates do not load.

                Two possible problems here:

                1. I assume that 'EWB' is a different cacher - i.e. not you?

                If that's the case then I suspect that your copy of GSAK is set up to
                match logs from you and that the 'Method for matching' set up in
                Tools/General is for your account on GC.com. If you then try and load
                the found caches from another cacher then GSAK will not recognize the
                logs as finds and therefore will not update the Found By Me date.

                If you wanted to correctly import their finds then you would have to
                change the 'Method for matching' to match their account details instead.

                GSAK is really designed for use with one cacher and their account.

                2. If you actually created a pocket query for EWB rather than using
                their special 'My Finds' pocket query then you may well not get their
                logs in the PQ. Normal PQs only supply the most recent five logs for
                any cache therefore unless EWB's logs happened to be in those most
                recent five you wouldn't get them. Only the special 'My Finds' PQ is
                guaranteed to contain all the premium account holders logs.

                A consequence of this is that there is no way to get a PQ with all the
                finds and logs for a non-premium GC member.

                Mike

                PS - If anyone ever has problems with GSAK I highly recommend posting
                questions on the GSAK forums. You'll get a very quick response! :-)
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 15, 2008
                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Doc <bcwatson@...> wrote:

                  > I had a file of my finds sent to me from the Pocket Queries page by
                  > clicking on the "Add to queue" button.   When I try to import into
                  > GSAK, it only imports 2000 geocaches.  I opened the GPX file in a
                  > word processor and saw that my latest finds were in there, but why
                  > is GSAK only importing 2000 geocaches?

                  What 'Database update options' do you have set when you import the GPX
                  file? For example if you have 'Existing only' checked then you will
                  just get the new data for caches you already have present in your GSAK
                  database. If you want new caches to load as well then ensure that
                  'Always' is checked.

                  Mike
                • electric_water_boy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 15, 2008
                    EWB is Electric Water Boy - Me. I don't use GSAK yet. I can't even
                    spell GSAK. Maybe Santa will get me a recycled laptop for Christmas..

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"