Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: SoaringEagle mentioned on Podcacher!!

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
      Do you use it in tandem with a handheld Garmin just for paperless
      caching purposes? Or do you use the GPS-dingus in the iPhone to
      needle you to caches?

      --
      Nick
      filler & bcat

      On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:46 PM, SoaringEagle <arnaud@...> wrote:
      > Audra,
      >
      > Thanks for noticing. It was me indeed.
      >
      > I have been using the iGeocacher app for paperless caching with great
      > success. Anybody that has an iPhone and has questions, fill free to
      > contact me.
      >
      > Arnaud - SoaringEagle.
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Audra Allen
      >
      > <al_allen327@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I'm assuming its our very own SoaringEagle...
      >>
      >> He wrote in and provided a review of the iGeocacher application for
      >> the iPhone.
      >> He also suggested a waterproof case and puzzle solving software: iGCT.
      >> You iPhone owners need to hook up with Arnaud!
      >>
      >> Listen to show 185: Dying to Cache
      >> http://media.libsyn.com/media/podcacher
      >>
      >> Audra Visit my blog

    • SoaringEagle
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
        Right now I have a first generation iPhone so I don't have a GPS built
        in. So I still use my GPSr on the side except on urban setting where
        I have found that using the satellite picture is more precise than a
        GPSr bouncing everywhere. So for instance, my last 2 trips to NY, I
        found 8 caches just using the iPhone.

        iGeocacher has a compass for the new generation iPhone. Some people
        have reported having a lot of success with it. Here is a detailed web
        page explaining how it works: http://www.ayefon.com/geo/hsi.cfm

        All reports I have heard of people using the iPhone GPS for caching
        even in the woods is that it is quite accurate...

        The issue is fragility of the iPhone. But I am looking at a rugged
        protection box like otterbox for caching in non urban settings.

        Arnaud - SoaringEagle

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Silkey"