RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Newbie

  • Cindy and/or Jim
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
      At 10:14 PM 11/3/2003, you wrote:
      Hi, and welcome. You have probably embarked on an addiction that probably should be regulated by the FDA, but is a lot healthier then smoking. I wouldn't worry so much about the no finds, everyone gets them. As you gain experience you will find that the no finds will diminish but they won't ever go away entirely. We have a tremendous group of folks in the Austin/San Antonio area and I have no doubt that you will have more people volunteering to help you all get started then you could ever take advantage of. My wife Candy (Moosiegirl) has already volunteered and I would certainly go out with you all as well.

      Yes, it seems like a very friendly bunch.  I'd love to go out with a group.  (After all, our first experience was in a group, and it seemed like the caches were more easily found with more eyes.)  How are those things usually arranged?

       Julie's email pretty much summed it up. You are very likely to go to places you didn't know existed and see things about this area (and others) you never knew about. Enjoy the journey, and the hunt.

      I know, I have to relax and not be so goal oriented.  I can see where geocaching will help me with that.  In addition, we've already learned about/been to a bunch of parks within the city -- some even not too far from our neighborhood -- that we'd never heard of before.  We've learned about some of the city's forgotten history and about some of its former inhabitants.  Geocaching has certainly expanded our horizons, and we're looking forward to doing lots more of it.

      Thanks, everybody, for helping us feel welcome and for those words of encouragement.

      Cindy

      Wayne (The Outlaw)
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
        I've been "playing" around with this idea of geocaching for some time,
        but have no GPS and no one friend involved in the sport. I'd like to
        find a gathering of sorts to chat with folks and get a feel for what
        is involved...you know, due diligence stuff.

        Anything coming up that would fit my needs?

        Thanks.
        SilverWing
      • Perrine Julie-ra5686
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
          Message
          You found us!  Welcome aboard.

          I have an event coming up this weekend, its called Motorcycles and Tattoos or something like that.  Search the website for waypoint GCQF6G for more info.  Although its set up as a camping/caching weekend, you're welcome to come out Friday night or Saturday morning and chat with anyone there and then take off caching with us on Saturday.

          That's kind of an extreme introduction to the sport, so you may prefer using this YahooGroup as your source of information.  We're very friendly.

          I've heard that there is an upcoming event here in town that is soon to be posted.  Watch for it!
          I've been "playing" around with this idea of geocaching for some time,
          but have no GPS and no one friend involved in the sport.  I'd like to
          find a gathering of sorts to chat with folks and get a feel for what
          is involved...you know, due diligence stuff.

          Anything coming up that would fit my needs?

          Thanks.
          SilverWing

        • Chris, Penny, Logan and Liahm Nowak
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
            There's an event next weekend. Mrs. Captain Picard's motorcycle event at
            Pedernales Falls State Park.
            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c85459bc-76c0-412e-b2aa-b0f8ba673464

            SAGA will be having their event on 11/11/05.
            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fbc0abe0-0f6c-484d-91ef-bf3669f4b347

            Cybercat will be having an event 11/12/05.
            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22c3885a-7931-4302-bb9d-77ab7f476aef

            They all should be lots of fun! Welcome to geocaching!

            cpnowak
            Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena and Gabriel Nowak
            > I've been "playing" around with this idea of geocaching for some time,
            > but have no GPS and no one friend involved in the sport. I'd like to
            > find a gathering of sorts to chat with folks and get a feel for what
            > is involved...you know, due diligence stuff.
            >
            > Anything coming up that would fit my needs?
            >
            > Thanks.
            > SilverWing
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jarsilverwing
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
              Thanks a bunch for the welcome! It seems Cybercat and I share a
              birthday - if not the date! (Mine came before hers.) If I'm
              welcome, I'll plan to come - but I need laymen directions! (I live
              reasonably close - say directions from 306 & 281 or 46 & 281...) I
              don't mind an email, if putting something other than GPS coords in
              the forum is offensive to you. LOL

              Cheers.
              SilverWing

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris, Penny, Logan
              and Liahm Nowak" <nowak@g...> wrote:

              > There's an event next weekend. Mrs. Captain Picard's motorcycle
              event at
              > Pedernales Falls State Park.
              > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c85459bc-
              76c0-412e-b2aa-b0f8ba673464

              > SAGA will be having their event on 11/11/05.
              > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fbc0abe0-
              0f6c-484d-91ef-bf3669f4b347

              > Cybercat will be having an event 11/12/05.
              > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22c3885a-
              7931-4302-bb9d-77ab7f476aef

              > They all should be lots of fun! Welcome to geocaching!
              >
              > cpnowak
              > Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena and Gabriel Nowak

            • Perrine Julie-ra5686
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                Message
                Everyone is welcome at ALL events!

                To find Cybercat's party (its not at her house), simply click on the map on the cache page and it will take you to MapQuest where you can drill down to street level and print it out.

                Cheers!
                Thanks a bunch for the welcome!  It seems Cybercat and I share a
                birthday - if not the date! (Mine came before hers.)  If I'm
                welcome, I'll plan to come - but I need laymen directions!  (I live
                reasonably close - say directions from 306 & 281 or 46 & 281...) I
                don't mind an email, if putting something other than GPS coords in
                the forum is offensive to you. LOL

                Cheers.
                SilverWing

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris, Penny, Logan
                and Liahm Nowak" <nowak@g...> wrote:

                > There's an event next weekend.  Mrs. Captain Picard's motorcycle
                event at
                > Pedernales Falls State Park.
                > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c85459bc-
                76c0-412e-b2aa-b0f8ba673464

                > SAGA will be having their event on 11/11/05.
                > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fbc0abe0-
                0f6c-484d-91ef-bf3669f4b347

                > Cybercat will be having an event 11/12/05.
                > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22c3885a-
                7931-4302-bb9d-77ab7f476aef

                > They all should be lots of fun!  Welcome to geocaching!
                >
                > cpnowak
                > Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena and  Gabriel Nowak

              • Roderick W. Chandler
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 9, 2006
                  I just started using my GPS12 for geocaching. I went to the
                  Terracaching site but needsponsors for membership ther. I don't know
                  anyone else personally that geocaches. If they do it has not been
                  brought up. Does this group have meeting? If so where? When? What
                  time? Thanks.
                • Julie Perrine

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 10, 2006
                      Howdy, just join up at Terracaching and you'll have offers of
                      sponsorship in no time at all, you don't need to know anyone there
                      personally. There are quite a few terracaches in Austin for you to
                      find once you get signed up.

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Roderick W. Chandler"
                      <rwc2202@...> wrote:

                      > I just started using my GPS12 for geocaching. I went to the
                      > Terracaching site but needsponsors for membership ther. I don't know
                      > anyone else personally that geocaches. If they do it has not been
                      > brought up. Does this group have meeting? If so where? When? What
                      > time? Thanks.

                    • fengmary
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 1, 2009
                        Never Geocahced before and don't own a handheld GPS device. Would like
                        to check it out. Is it possible to tag along some cachers in Austin
                        area? Whom to contact? Thanks.
                      • Doc
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 2, 2009
                          I'm going to be geocaching all day tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 3), if you'd like to tag along.  I'm not sure exactly where yet, but it will be in the Austin area, I'm sure...

                          Barry

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 2, 2009
                            Oh, and I can bring an extra GPS for you to use also....
                            :-)

                            Barry