OT: Shout Out for Doc Geo and Moosiegirl

  • Maria "theJump"
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2008
      I wanted to come in here and let you know what your fellow geocachers are doing when they are NOT geocaching!!

      Doc Geo participated in the Colorado River 100 .... this is a 100 mile kayaking race from Bastrop to Columbus, Texas.  He started with 162 others and kayaked his a** off completing the race in 23 hours and 30 minutes!!!  He sounds in great spirits having gotten some food and some rest!

      Moosiegirl participated in the Human Race 10K, her first 10K ever .... with 17,000 other crazy people (yours truly included), she weathered the heat and finished in 2 hours 17 minutes!!

      Giving these cachers a SHOUT OUT ...

      -Maria / TheJump
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2008
        woo woo woo!

        On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 08:10:59 -0500 "Maria \"theJump\"" <thejump@...> writes:
        I wanted to come in here and let you know what your fellow geocachers are doing when they are NOT geocaching!!

        Doc Geo participated in the Colorado River 100 .... this is a 100 mile kayaking race from Bastrop to Columbus, Texas.  He started with 162 others and kayaked his a** off completing the race in 23 hours and 30 minutes!!!  He sounds in great spirits having gotten some food and some rest!

        Moosiegirl participated in the Human Race 10K, her first 10K ever .... with 17,000 other crazy people (yours truly included), she weathered the heat and finished in 2 hours 17 minutes!!

        Giving these cachers a SHOUT OUT ...

        -Maria / TheJump

        Don't let your life go up in flames. Click here for the latest fire saftey products.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2008

          Way to go, gang!

          Russ the waterweasel

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2008
            Thanks!   (Actually, it was 269 racers in 162 boats.)  It sure is odd. Pay someone else $50 to allow you to beat yourself up...
            Was in a lot of pain yesterday and fell asleep at Chili's waiting for meal to arrive (not to mention falling asleep every time wife took me from one place to another....

            The race is great!  I can't believe I was able to keep on paddling my pace as long as I did.  Night time paddling was a bit nerve wracking...  when you hear rushing water and the light on your bow only shows ahead and you dare not try to turn you boat to see what is to the sides because the water continues to carry you and you might not have time to get away from something if you're turned sideways.  So you stop paddling every few strokes and listen to hear if there is any rushing water... then you steer away from it... because you don't know if it's rocks or worse, a fallen tree....

            And my wife,Sue, was great.  This is not a race that is easily completed, but having a support crew makes it much more possible...  from emptying trash from my kayak, to refilling my camelback bladder, and refilling my small cooler with more ice and replacing my baggie of bars and gels...   and just being a friendly face and hug-giver was a lot of good for my morale...

            Knowing that over 30 people dropped out of the race and on the last leg I was still able to pass up 8 more people AND finish in under 24 hours (I really didn't think that would have been possible), is more than reward for my efforts!

            A BIG congratulations to Candy for her completion of her first 10K!

            Barry

              I wanted to come in here and let you know what your fellow geocachers are doing when they are NOT geocaching!!

              Doc Geo participated in the Colorado River 100 .... this is a 100 mile kayaking race from Bastrop to Columbus, Texas.  He started with 162 others and kayaked his a** off completing the race in 23 hours and 30 minutes!!!  He sounds in great spirits having gotten some food and some rest!

              Moosiegirl participated in the Human Race 10K, her first 10K ever .... with 17,000 other crazy people (yours truly included), she weathered the heat and finished in 2 hours 17 minutes!!

              Giving these cachers a SHOUT OUT ...

              -Maria / TheJump

              Click to find information on your credit score and your credit report.

            • d_rubarb
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2008
                Awesome accomplishments!  Central Texas Geocachers! What a diverse and talented family we have!  Congratulations

                Drew (KangaDrew)