Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Newbie

  • Mark Gessner
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
      Best plan is to get with the other experienced cachers in the area,
      either by meeting up on this list or by attending a cache event; there
      are a few good cache events coming up.

      I'm going to be trying to find the Anti-Walmart cache again this
      afternoon at 2PM, after picking up some night caching supplies in
      wal-mart. I'll be monitoring family radio service (FRS) channel 2, and
      responding to calls of, "are there any geocachers on this channel?" If
      you don't have an FRS radio yet, you can get a very decent unit in the
      Wal-mart there for $8.88 plus tax.

      I will be finding the CP Soccer Field Micro Cache immediately after
      bagging the Anti-Walmart cache. That's probably all I'll have time for
      today.

      There are other cachers today working walnut creek park on the
      northeast side of town as well.

      Anti-Walmart:
      http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=%7B0776C98C-
      0258-43CB-8A07-FA89025F8F75%7D
      CP Soccer Field:
      http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5a690dcf-175f-
      4b83-aa34-382ceca9129b

      -mark.
      aka "lowracer"

      On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 11:46 AM, Cindy and/or Jim wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > We're new to geocaching, and I just discovered this list. We went once
      > with a friend and were hooked. I need to get back in shape, and I hate
      > just hiking. Having a purpose really makes hiking more fun for me,
      > enough
      > that I want to do it often.
      >
      > We've made our first dozen or so finds in the last week or so. But,
      > we've
      > probably not found almost as many. (And a bunch of the ones we did
      > find
      > have been virtual, which seem to be a little easier.)
      >
      > I'd love some words of wisdom and/or encouragement.
      >
      > Cindy
      > Team Jactar

      > ---------------------~-->
      > Canada.
      > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/YltolB/TM

      -mark
    • Essiar
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
        Welcome aboard Team Jactar:
        I'm fairly new at this too, only been at it a few months and love
        it. I also looked at this as a way to get more exercise. If you wish
        to try your hand at making an event game out of it, feel free to
        check out GCH3H5. If camping is more your style, you might want to
        look at GCH3FE.
        Steve

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Cindy and/or Jim
        <lists@a...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > We're new to geocaching, and I just discovered this list. We went
        once
        > with a friend and were hooked. I need to get back in shape, and I
        hate
        > just hiking. Having a purpose really makes hiking more fun for
        me, enough
        > that I want to do it often.
        >
        > We've made our first dozen or so finds in the last week or so.
        But, we've
        > probably not found almost as many. (And a bunch of the ones we
        did find
        > have been virtual, which seem to be a little easier.)
        >
        > I'd love some words of wisdom and/or encouragement.
        >
        > Cindy
        > Team Jactar
      • Perrine Julie-ra5686
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
          Hi Cindy,
          The most important this is to enjoy where you end up, enjoy getting there and appreciate and respect that you are part of a global community and that we all want to have fun and contribute to everyone else's fun if we can.
          It's a new adventure every time, you'll soon become familiar with how certain people hide things and your DNF's will get fewer and fewer.
          Have fun, and we'll see you in the bushes!
          Julie (Mrs. Captain Picard)

        • thediver@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
            What's scary is you'll start noticing which people are cachers and which are not? What's even scarier is you might bump into me. :)

            Team Jactar:
            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=7b5ff432-1854-4a63-a682-eaa130e1fabb
            Mrs. Captain Picard:
            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=480d69a6-1416-44ac-9eee-a00ca52c0368

            Alan
            aka The Diver

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
              YIKES!
              Actually, I've done that, and it wasn't the traumatic experience he'll lead you to believe!

              > The most important this is to enjoy where you end up, enjoy
              > getting there and appreciate and respect that you are part of a
              > global community and that we all want to have fun and contribute
              > to everyone else's fun if we can.
              > It's a new adventure every time, you'll soon become familiar with
              > how certain people hide things and your DNF's will get fewer and
              > fewer.Have fun, and we'll see you in the bushes!
              > Julie (Mrs. Captain Picard)

            • Wayne Lind
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
                Hi, and welcome. You have probably embarked on an addiction that probably should be regulated by the FDA, but is a lot healthier then smoking. I wouldn't worry so much about the no finds, everyone gets them. As you gain experience you will find that the no finds will diminish but they won't ever go away entirely. We have a tremendous group of folks in the Austin/San Antonio area and I have no doubt that you will have more people volunteering to help you all get started then you could ever take advantage of. My wife Candy (Moosiegirl) has already volunteered and I would certainly go out with you all as well.

                Julie's email pretty much summed it up. You are very likely to go to places you didn't know existed and see things about this area (and others) you never knew about. Enjoy the journey, and the hunt.

                Wayne (The Outlaw)

                  > The most important this is to enjoy where you end up, enjoy
                  > getting there and appreciate and respect that you are part of a
                  > global community and that we all want to have fun and contribute
                  > to everyone else's fun if we can.
                  > It's a new adventure every time, you'll soon become familiar with
                  > how certain people hide things and your DNF's will get fewer and
                  > fewer.Have fun, and we'll see you in the bushes!
                  > Julie (Mrs. Captain Picard)

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  []
                  []

                • Cindy and/or Jim
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
                    At 10:14 PM 11/3/2003, you wrote:
                    Hi, and welcome. You have probably embarked on an addiction that probably should be regulated by the FDA, but is a lot healthier then smoking. I wouldn't worry so much about the no finds, everyone gets them. As you gain experience you will find that the no finds will diminish but they won't ever go away entirely. We have a tremendous group of folks in the Austin/San Antonio area and I have no doubt that you will have more people volunteering to help you all get started then you could ever take advantage of. My wife Candy (Moosiegirl) has already volunteered and I would certainly go out with you all as well.

                    Yes, it seems like a very friendly bunch.  I'd love to go out with a group.  (After all, our first experience was in a group, and it seemed like the caches were more easily found with more eyes.)  How are those things usually arranged?

                     Julie's email pretty much summed it up. You are very likely to go to places you didn't know existed and see things about this area (and others) you never knew about. Enjoy the journey, and the hunt.

                    I know, I have to relax and not be so goal oriented.  I can see where geocaching will help me with that.  In addition, we've already learned about/been to a bunch of parks within the city -- some even not too far from our neighborhood -- that we'd never heard of before.  We've learned about some of the city's forgotten history and about some of its former inhabitants.  Geocaching has certainly expanded our horizons, and we're looking forward to doing lots more of it.

                    Thanks, everybody, for helping us feel welcome and for those words of encouragement.

                    Cindy

                    Wayne (The Outlaw)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                      I've been "playing" around with this idea of geocaching for some time,
                      but have no GPS and no one friend involved in the sport. I'd like to
                      find a gathering of sorts to chat with folks and get a feel for what
                      is involved...you know, due diligence stuff.

                      Anything coming up that would fit my needs?

                      Thanks.
                      SilverWing
                    • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                        Message
                        You found us!  Welcome aboard.

                        I have an event coming up this weekend, its called Motorcycles and Tattoos or something like that.  Search the website for waypoint GCQF6G for more info.  Although its set up as a camping/caching weekend, you're welcome to come out Friday night or Saturday morning and chat with anyone there and then take off caching with us on Saturday.

                        That's kind of an extreme introduction to the sport, so you may prefer using this YahooGroup as your source of information.  We're very friendly.

                        I've heard that there is an upcoming event here in town that is soon to be posted.  Watch for it!
                        I've been "playing" around with this idea of geocaching for some time,
                        but have no GPS and no one friend involved in the sport.  I'd like to
                        find a gathering of sorts to chat with folks and get a feel for what
                        is involved...you know, due diligence stuff.

                        Anything coming up that would fit my needs?

                        Thanks.
                        SilverWing

                      • Chris, Penny, Logan and Liahm Nowak
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                          There's an event next weekend. Mrs. Captain Picard's motorcycle event at
                          Pedernales Falls State Park.
                          http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c85459bc-76c0-412e-b2aa-b0f8ba673464

                          SAGA will be having their event on 11/11/05.
                          http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fbc0abe0-0f6c-484d-91ef-bf3669f4b347

                          Cybercat will be having an event 11/12/05.
                          http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22c3885a-7931-4302-bb9d-77ab7f476aef

                          They all should be lots of fun! Welcome to geocaching!

                          cpnowak
                          Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena and Gabriel Nowak
                          > I've been "playing" around with this idea of geocaching for some time,
                          > but have no GPS and no one friend involved in the sport. I'd like to
                          > find a gathering of sorts to chat with folks and get a feel for what
                          > is involved...you know, due diligence stuff.
                          >
                          > Anything coming up that would fit my needs?
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          > SilverWing
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • jarsilverwing
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                            Thanks a bunch for the welcome! It seems Cybercat and I share a
                            birthday - if not the date! (Mine came before hers.) If I'm
                            welcome, I'll plan to come - but I need laymen directions! (I live
                            reasonably close - say directions from 306 & 281 or 46 & 281...) I
                            don't mind an email, if putting something other than GPS coords in
                            the forum is offensive to you. LOL

                            Cheers.
                            SilverWing

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris, Penny, Logan
                            and Liahm Nowak" <nowak@g...> wrote:

                            > There's an event next weekend. Mrs. Captain Picard's motorcycle
                            event at
                            > Pedernales Falls State Park.
                            > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c85459bc-
                            76c0-412e-b2aa-b0f8ba673464

                            > SAGA will be having their event on 11/11/05.
                            > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fbc0abe0-
                            0f6c-484d-91ef-bf3669f4b347

                            > Cybercat will be having an event 11/12/05.
                            > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22c3885a-
                            7931-4302-bb9d-77ab7f476aef

                            > They all should be lots of fun! Welcome to geocaching!
                            >
                            > cpnowak
                            > Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena and Gabriel Nowak

                          • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                              Message
                              Everyone is welcome at ALL events!

                              To find Cybercat's party (its not at her house), simply click on the map on the cache page and it will take you to MapQuest where you can drill down to street level and print it out.

                              Cheers!
                              Thanks a bunch for the welcome!  It seems Cybercat and I share a
                              birthday - if not the date! (Mine came before hers.)  If I'm
                              welcome, I'll plan to come - but I need laymen directions!  (I live
                              reasonably close - say directions from 306 & 281 or 46 & 281...) I
                              don't mind an email, if putting something other than GPS coords in
                              the forum is offensive to you. LOL

                              Cheers.
                              SilverWing

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris, Penny, Logan
                              and Liahm Nowak" <nowak@g...> wrote:

                              > There's an event next weekend.  Mrs. Captain Picard's motorcycle
                              event at
                              > Pedernales Falls State Park.
                              > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c85459bc-
                              76c0-412e-b2aa-b0f8ba673464

                              > SAGA will be having their event on 11/11/05.
                              > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fbc0abe0-
                              0f6c-484d-91ef-bf3669f4b347

                              > Cybercat will be having an event 11/12/05.
                              > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22c3885a-
                              7931-4302-bb9d-77ab7f476aef

                              > They all should be lots of fun!  Welcome to geocaching!
                              >
                              > cpnowak
                              > Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena and  Gabriel Nowak

                            • Roderick W. Chandler
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 9, 2006
                                I just started using my GPS12 for geocaching. I went to the
                                Terracaching site but needsponsors for membership ther. I don't know
                                anyone else personally that geocaches. If they do it has not been
                                brought up. Does this group have meeting? If so where? When? What
                                time? Thanks.
                              • Julie Perrine

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 10, 2006
                                    Howdy, just join up at Terracaching and you'll have offers of
                                    sponsorship in no time at all, you don't need to know anyone there
                                    personally. There are quite a few terracaches in Austin for you to
                                    find once you get signed up.

                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Roderick W. Chandler"
                                    <rwc2202@...> wrote:

                                    > I just started using my GPS12 for geocaching. I went to the
                                    > Terracaching site but needsponsors for membership ther. I don't know
                                    > anyone else personally that geocaches. If they do it has not been
                                    > brought up. Does this group have meeting? If so where? When? What
                                    > time? Thanks.

                                  • fengmary
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 1, 2009
                                      Never Geocahced before and don't own a handheld GPS device. Would like
                                      to check it out. Is it possible to tag along some cachers in Austin
                                      area? Whom to contact? Thanks.
                                    • Doc
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 2, 2009
                                        I'm going to be geocaching all day tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 3), if you'd like to tag along.  I'm not sure exactly where yet, but it will be in the Austin area, I'm sure...

                                        Barry

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 2, 2009
                                          Oh, and I can bring an extra GPS for you to use also....
                                          :-)

                                          Barry