Newbie

  • Cindy and/or Jim
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hi all,

      We're new to geocaching, and I just discovered this list. We went once
      with a friend and were hooked. I need to get back in shape, and I hate
      just hiking. Having a purpose really makes hiking more fun for me, enough
      that I want to do it often.

      We've made our first dozen or so finds in the last week or so. But, we've
      probably not found almost as many. (And a bunch of the ones we did find
      have been virtual, which seem to be a little easier.)

      I'd love some words of wisdom and/or encouragement.

      Cindy
      Team Jactar
    • Mark Gessner
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
        Best plan is to get with the other experienced cachers in the area,
        either by meeting up on this list or by attending a cache event; there
        are a few good cache events coming up.

        I'm going to be trying to find the Anti-Walmart cache again this
        afternoon at 2PM, after picking up some night caching supplies in
        wal-mart. I'll be monitoring family radio service (FRS) channel 2, and
        responding to calls of, "are there any geocachers on this channel?" If
        you don't have an FRS radio yet, you can get a very decent unit in the
        Wal-mart there for $8.88 plus tax.

        I will be finding the CP Soccer Field Micro Cache immediately after
        bagging the Anti-Walmart cache. That's probably all I'll have time for
        today.

        There are other cachers today working walnut creek park on the
        northeast side of town as well.

        Anti-Walmart:
        http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=%7B0776C98C-
        0258-43CB-8A07-FA89025F8F75%7D
        CP Soccer Field:
        http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5a690dcf-175f-
        4b83-aa34-382ceca9129b

        -mark.
        aka "lowracer"

        On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 11:46 AM, Cindy and/or Jim wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > We're new to geocaching, and I just discovered this list. We went once
        > with a friend and were hooked. I need to get back in shape, and I hate
        > just hiking. Having a purpose really makes hiking more fun for me,
        > enough
        > that I want to do it often.
        >
        > We've made our first dozen or so finds in the last week or so. But,
        > we've
        > probably not found almost as many. (And a bunch of the ones we did
        > find
        > have been virtual, which seem to be a little easier.)
        >
        > I'd love some words of wisdom and/or encouragement.
        >
        > Cindy
        > Team Jactar

        > ---------------------~-->
        > Canada.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/YltolB/TM

        -mark
      • Essiar
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
          Welcome aboard Team Jactar:
          I'm fairly new at this too, only been at it a few months and love
          it. I also looked at this as a way to get more exercise. If you wish
          to try your hand at making an event game out of it, feel free to
          check out GCH3H5. If camping is more your style, you might want to
          look at GCH3FE.
          Steve

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Cindy and/or Jim
          <lists@a...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > We're new to geocaching, and I just discovered this list. We went
          once
          > with a friend and were hooked. I need to get back in shape, and I
          hate
          > just hiking. Having a purpose really makes hiking more fun for
          me, enough
          > that I want to do it often.
          >
          > We've made our first dozen or so finds in the last week or so.
          But, we've
          > probably not found almost as many. (And a bunch of the ones we
          did find
          > have been virtual, which seem to be a little easier.)
          >
          > I'd love some words of wisdom and/or encouragement.
          >
          > Cindy
          > Team Jactar
        • Perrine Julie-ra5686
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
            Hi Cindy,
            The most important this is to enjoy where you end up, enjoy getting there and appreciate and respect that you are part of a global community and that we all want to have fun and contribute to everyone else's fun if we can.
            It's a new adventure every time, you'll soon become familiar with how certain people hide things and your DNF's will get fewer and fewer.
            Have fun, and we'll see you in the bushes!
            Julie (Mrs. Captain Picard)

          • thediver@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
              What's scary is you'll start noticing which people are cachers and which are not? What's even scarier is you might bump into me. :)

              Team Jactar:
              http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=7b5ff432-1854-4a63-a682-eaa130e1fabb
              Mrs. Captain Picard:
              http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=480d69a6-1416-44ac-9eee-a00ca52c0368

              Alan
              aka The Diver

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
                YIKES!
                Actually, I've done that, and it wasn't the traumatic experience he'll lead you to believe!

                > The most important this is to enjoy where you end up, enjoy
                > getting there and appreciate and respect that you are part of a
                > global community and that we all want to have fun and contribute
                > to everyone else's fun if we can.
                > It's a new adventure every time, you'll soon become familiar with
                > how certain people hide things and your DNF's will get fewer and
                > fewer.Have fun, and we'll see you in the bushes!
                > Julie (Mrs. Captain Picard)

              • Wayne Lind
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Hi, and welcome. You have probably embarked on an addiction that probably should be regulated by the FDA, but is a lot healthier then smoking. I wouldn't worry so much about the no finds, everyone gets them. As you gain experience you will find that the no finds will diminish but they won't ever go away entirely. We have a tremendous group of folks in the Austin/San Antonio area and I have no doubt that you will have more people volunteering to help you all get started then you could ever take advantage of. My wife Candy (Moosiegirl) has already volunteered and I would certainly go out with you all as well.

                  Julie's email pretty much summed it up. You are very likely to go to places you didn't know existed and see things about this area (and others) you never knew about. Enjoy the journey, and the hunt.

                  Wayne (The Outlaw)

                    > The most important this is to enjoy where you end up, enjoy
                    > getting there and appreciate and respect that you are part of a
                    > global community and that we all want to have fun and contribute
                    > to everyone else's fun if we can.
                    > It's a new adventure every time, you'll soon become familiar with
                    > how certain people hide things and your DNF's will get fewer and
                    > fewer.Have fun, and we'll see you in the bushes!
                    > Julie (Mrs. Captain Picard)

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    []
                    []

                  • Cindy and/or Jim
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
                      At 10:14 PM 11/3/2003, you wrote:
                      Hi, and welcome. You have probably embarked on an addiction that probably should be regulated by the FDA, but is a lot healthier then smoking. I wouldn't worry so much about the no finds, everyone gets them. As you gain experience you will find that the no finds will diminish but they won't ever go away entirely. We have a tremendous group of folks in the Austin/San Antonio area and I have no doubt that you will have more people volunteering to help you all get started then you could ever take advantage of. My wife Candy (Moosiegirl) has already volunteered and I would certainly go out with you all as well.

                      Yes, it seems like a very friendly bunch.  I'd love to go out with a group.  (After all, our first experience was in a group, and it seemed like the caches were more easily found with more eyes.)  How are those things usually arranged?

                       Julie's email pretty much summed it up. You are very likely to go to places you didn't know existed and see things about this area (and others) you never knew about. Enjoy the journey, and the hunt.

                      I know, I have to relax and not be so goal oriented.  I can see where geocaching will help me with that.  In addition, we've already learned about/been to a bunch of parks within the city -- some even not too far from our neighborhood -- that we'd never heard of before.  We've learned about some of the city's forgotten history and about some of its former inhabitants.  Geocaching has certainly expanded our horizons, and we're looking forward to doing lots more of it.

                      Thanks, everybody, for helping us feel welcome and for those words of encouragement.

                      Cindy

                      Wayne (The Outlaw)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                        I've been "playing" around with this idea of geocaching for some time,
                        but have no GPS and no one friend involved in the sport. I'd like to
                        find a gathering of sorts to chat with folks and get a feel for what
                        is involved...you know, due diligence stuff.

                        Anything coming up that would fit my needs?

                        Thanks.
                        SilverWing
                      • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                          Message
                          You found us!  Welcome aboard.

                          I have an event coming up this weekend, its called Motorcycles and Tattoos or something like that.  Search the website for waypoint GCQF6G for more info.  Although its set up as a camping/caching weekend, you're welcome to come out Friday night or Saturday morning and chat with anyone there and then take off caching with us on Saturday.

                          That's kind of an extreme introduction to the sport, so you may prefer using this YahooGroup as your source of information.  We're very friendly.

                          I've heard that there is an upcoming event here in town that is soon to be posted.  Watch for it!
                          I've been "playing" around with this idea of geocaching for some time,
                          but have no GPS and no one friend involved in the sport.  I'd like to
                          find a gathering of sorts to chat with folks and get a feel for what
                          is involved...you know, due diligence stuff.

                          Anything coming up that would fit my needs?

                          Thanks.
                          SilverWing

                        • Chris, Penny, Logan and Liahm Nowak
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                            There's an event next weekend. Mrs. Captain Picard's motorcycle event at
                            Pedernales Falls State Park.
                            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c85459bc-76c0-412e-b2aa-b0f8ba673464

                            SAGA will be having their event on 11/11/05.
                            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fbc0abe0-0f6c-484d-91ef-bf3669f4b347

                            Cybercat will be having an event 11/12/05.
                            http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22c3885a-7931-4302-bb9d-77ab7f476aef

                            They all should be lots of fun! Welcome to geocaching!

                            cpnowak
                            Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena and Gabriel Nowak
                            > I've been "playing" around with this idea of geocaching for some time,
                            > but have no GPS and no one friend involved in the sport. I'd like to
                            > find a gathering of sorts to chat with folks and get a feel for what
                            > is involved...you know, due diligence stuff.
                            >
                            > Anything coming up that would fit my needs?
                            >
                            > Thanks.
                            > SilverWing
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • jarsilverwing
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                              Thanks a bunch for the welcome! It seems Cybercat and I share a
                              birthday - if not the date! (Mine came before hers.) If I'm
                              welcome, I'll plan to come - but I need laymen directions! (I live
                              reasonably close - say directions from 306 & 281 or 46 & 281...) I
                              don't mind an email, if putting something other than GPS coords in
                              the forum is offensive to you. LOL

                              Cheers.
                              SilverWing

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris, Penny, Logan
                              and Liahm Nowak" <nowak@g...> wrote:

                              > There's an event next weekend. Mrs. Captain Picard's motorcycle
                              event at
                              > Pedernales Falls State Park.
                              > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c85459bc-
                              76c0-412e-b2aa-b0f8ba673464

                              > SAGA will be having their event on 11/11/05.
                              > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fbc0abe0-
                              0f6c-484d-91ef-bf3669f4b347

                              > Cybercat will be having an event 11/12/05.
                              > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22c3885a-
                              7931-4302-bb9d-77ab7f476aef

                              > They all should be lots of fun! Welcome to geocaching!
                              >
                              > cpnowak
                              > Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena and Gabriel Nowak

                            • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                                Message
                                Everyone is welcome at ALL events!

                                To find Cybercat's party (its not at her house), simply click on the map on the cache page and it will take you to MapQuest where you can drill down to street level and print it out.

                                Cheers!
                                Thanks a bunch for the welcome!  It seems Cybercat and I share a
                                birthday - if not the date! (Mine came before hers.)  If I'm
                                welcome, I'll plan to come - but I need laymen directions!  (I live
                                reasonably close - say directions from 306 & 281 or 46 & 281...) I
                                don't mind an email, if putting something other than GPS coords in
                                the forum is offensive to you. LOL

                                Cheers.
                                SilverWing

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris, Penny, Logan
                                and Liahm Nowak" <nowak@g...> wrote:

                                > There's an event next weekend.  Mrs. Captain Picard's motorcycle
                                event at
                                > Pedernales Falls State Park.
                                > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c85459bc-
                                76c0-412e-b2aa-b0f8ba673464

                                > SAGA will be having their event on 11/11/05.
                                > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fbc0abe0-
                                0f6c-484d-91ef-bf3669f4b347

                                > Cybercat will be having an event 11/12/05.
                                > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22c3885a-
                                7931-4302-bb9d-77ab7f476aef

                                > They all should be lots of fun!  Welcome to geocaching!
                                >
                                > cpnowak
                                > Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena and  Gabriel Nowak

                              • Roderick W. Chandler
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 9, 2006
                                  I just started using my GPS12 for geocaching. I went to the
                                  Terracaching site but needsponsors for membership ther. I don't know
                                  anyone else personally that geocaches. If they do it has not been
                                  brought up. Does this group have meeting? If so where? When? What
                                  time? Thanks.
                                • Julie Perrine

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 10, 2006
                                      Howdy, just join up at Terracaching and you'll have offers of
                                      sponsorship in no time at all, you don't need to know anyone there
                                      personally. There are quite a few terracaches in Austin for you to
                                      find once you get signed up.

                                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Roderick W. Chandler"
                                      <rwc2202@...> wrote:

                                      > I just started using my GPS12 for geocaching. I went to the
                                      > Terracaching site but needsponsors for membership ther. I don't know
                                      > anyone else personally that geocaches. If they do it has not been
                                      > brought up. Does this group have meeting? If so where? When? What
                                      > time? Thanks.

                                    • fengmary
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 1, 2009
                                        Never Geocahced before and don't own a handheld GPS device. Would like
                                        to check it out. Is it possible to tag along some cachers in Austin
                                        area? Whom to contact? Thanks.
                                      • Doc
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 2, 2009
                                          I'm going to be geocaching all day tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 3), if you'd like to tag along.  I'm not sure exactly where yet, but it will be in the Austin area, I'm sure...

                                          Barry

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 2, 2009
                                            Oh, and I can bring an extra GPS for you to use also....
                                            :-)

                                            Barry