Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] So long ... farewell ...

    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 2 6:33 AM
      Nick ... do you need boxes?
      We've got three pretty nice ones sitting in the office.... Cleaner won't
      toss 'em until we write 'trash' on 'em....

      Meanwhile.
      Moving.
      =sympathies=
      but hope it's all golden smilies at the end of the 'bushwhack'
      =hugs=

      Barb/Tygress

      On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:40:58 -0500 "Nick Silkey" <nick@...>
      writes:
      > CenTex'ers --
      >
      > In the near future, I will be relocating to New Haven, Connecticut
      > take advantage of generous job offer. Both Wendy and I, along with
      > 16-month old Noah, will be departing from the area during the third
      > week of August. Its going to be a trip! Word is the CT community
      > dislikes PAGs, loves hikers, and even goes strong throughout those
      > crazy winter months (snowshoes, anyone?!).
      >
      > Its been really fun living in the Austin-area. Like many, I came
      > here
      > from places abroad (if you want to call Victoria, Texas _abroad_)
      > pursue my university degree at eighteen years of age. Once here,
      > like
      > many, I just simply stayed out of love of the area's amenities
      > (schools, job market, culture, people). The Austin-area is a great
      > place, and my foray into geocaching (Feb 2005? sheesh.) further
      > cemented my connection to this greatness. The Texas Hill Country
      > has
      > a beauty which I overlooked before being led to explore our area
      > trails, GPS in-hand. Thanks to all those who helped stash along
      > some
      > really memorable places. Moreover, thanks to the generous
      > geocaching
      > community. There is a real circle of friends here, although I find
      > this term somewhat misleading in that _all_ those who partake in
      > the
      > hobby are graciously invited to be a part of this circle of friends
      > whether they have 10 finds or 10,000 finds.
      >
      > So does anybody want to adopt some caches? :) I have created a
      > list
      > of all my active caches and put them into a spreadsheet on Google
      > Docs. The following URL will allow unauthenticated users to edit
      > the
      > document:
      > <http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pjejAvWLj3TJkrQukxXrCaQ&hl=en>
      > Column A lists the cache name, column B lists the GC ID (which also
      > links to the cache page if you select and click the icon), and
      > Column
      > C lists the relative location of the container. So, please fill in
      > the D (or E if you want to be a backup adopter should the
      > First-To-Adopt fall through) columns if you have an interest in
      > adopting these caches. Then we can work out adoption details.
      >
      > Oh, and buy my house too ... ;)
      >
      > Happy trails.
      >
      > --
      > Nick
      > filler & bcat

      Click to make millions by owning your own franchise.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3m6iSVAvN1abpb4iie4MVp0Ua7YAnFS24CI0bzpa9dGoylBI/
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 2 7:13 AM
        On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:54:44 -0500 "Nick Silkey" <nick@...> writes:
        > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Dick Young <rtyoungster@...>
        > wrote:
        > > Do they have BBQ in Connecticut?
        >
        > Apparently not. Nor can one find cumin/comino or chili powder on
        > store shelves. Dont know about tortillas. :/

        www.penzeys.com

        wonderful spices....

        > But I hear they have Italian dishes and pizza to die for in New
        > Haven-proper. :)

        discovering the country, one time zone at a time.
        No, wait, that's OUR motto....

        Barb/Tygress/moved too many darned times
        Home prices too high? Click here for interest only loans to buy the home of your dreams.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3mKu4EC7fcoAStsHHHafszV2Itqp48wo4OVhno3XB8utuk2G/
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 2 7:14 AM
          100 in your first month?
          You're HOOKED!
          excellent!
          Tygress

          On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 19:07:11 EDT jestrrrulz@... writes:
          I have to get busy learning how to do puzzle caches! This former math teacher has just been lazy this month. But hey - I got nearly 100 caches my first month of caching!

          If you end up with any stragglers, I'll solve them and take them.

          Jestr

          In a message dated 7/31/2008 10:41:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time, nick@... writes:
          So does anybody want to adopt some caches? :)

          Click here to compare top medical billing products, get demos, and quotes.

        • danminer9th
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 2 7:35 AM
            I grew up in rural New York state and lived in Massachusetts for 10
            years before becoming a Texan in 1995. The Mexican and BBQ in the
            Northeast is lacking, but the Italian and especially the seafood is
            MUCH better up there.

            I can state with some authority that:

            - The best Mexican food in New England is at Taco Bell.
            ...but...
            - The best New England style clam chowder in Texas is Campbell's

            There are pluses and minuses to everywhere you go. Enjoy the pluses
            while you're there. The next place you go may not have them. I
            hesitate to mention snow. That by itself has pluses and minuses. I
            really miss being able to drive (only) an hour or so to go skiing.

            - Dan Miner (WhiteShark - an inactive cacher)

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Silkey"

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 2 7:57 AM
              Penzy's Spices . . . <G>

              Apparently not. Nor can one find cumin/comino or chili powder on
              store shelves. Dont know about tortillas. :/

              But I hear they have Italian dishes and pizza to die for in New
              Haven-proper. :)

              --
              Nick
              filler & bcat

            • Sonja Michelle Thomas
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 2 8:34 AM

                My folks moved to Connecticut in 2004 after spending 20 years in Phoenix, AZ.  Their first winter was quite a shock. My dad was a bit depressed, especially after his first few falls shoveling snow.  I sent them this and it made their day:

                Winter Diary

                August 12: Moved to our new home in Connecticut. It is so beautiful here. The mountains are so majestic. Can hardly wait to see snow covering them.

                October 14: Connecticut is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turned all the colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful mountains and saw some deer. They are so graceful. Certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.

                November 11: Deer season will start soon. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon. I love it here.

                December 2: It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snow ball fight (I won), and when the snow-plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Connecticut.

                December 12: More snow last night. I love it. The snow-plow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.

                December 19: More snow last night. Couldn’t get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. Fucking snow-plow.

                December 22: More of that white shit fell last night. I’ve got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow-plow hides around the curve and waits until I’m done shoveling the driveway. Asshole!

                December 25: Merry Fucking Christmas. More friggen snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-bitch who drives the snow-plow I swear I’ll kill the bastard. Don’t know why they don’t use more salt on the roads to melt the fucking ice.

                December 27: More white shit last night. Been inside for three days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow-plow goes through every time. Can’t go anywhere, car’s stuck in a mountain of white shit. The weatherman says to expect another 10 inches of the shit again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10 inches is?

                December 28: The fucking weatherman was wrong. We got 34 inches of that shit this time. At this rate it won’t melt before the summer. The snow-plow got stuck up in the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the shit he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his fucking head.

                January 4: Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those fucking beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.

                May 3: Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from that fucking salt they put all over the roads.

                May 10: Moved to Arizona. I can’t imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that god-forsaken state of Connecticut.

                Sonja Michelle Lina Thomas

                sonjamichellelt@...

                Oregano --

                  The ancient Italian art of pizza folding.

              • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 2 10:42 AM
                  I would say I'm hooked. I would also say that the slowest month for my work is July! ha! I even searched for one in Costa Rica only to discover that the container had been modified (way downsized) and moved slightly the day before I went hiking to find it! What a shame since I had several TB's from the Lone Star State!

                  In a message dated 8/2/2008 9:17:51 A.M. Central Daylight Time, gumbietygress@... writes:
                  100 in your first month?
                  You're HOOKED!
                  excellent!

                • mda_taz
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 3 8:34 PM
                    We sure have enjoyed several of your cache hides and visiting with
                    you at many events. You have added insight and help to many topics
                    on the forum. We will miss y'all here in Austin. Good luck on your
                    family's new adventures and building a future together. Enjoy life
                    and have fun. Remember to stop and smell the roses along the way.
                    Oh yeah, find some caches too.

                    mda_taz and Semik
                    Matthew & Audra