RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] So long ... farewell ...

  • Julie Perrine
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008

      Bye, Nick!  We’ve really enjoyed having you around, but you will never have to REALLY leave as long as there is a YahooGroup!

      Best wishes to your family!

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
        Nick,
        Sorry to see you go...
        You've been a great contributor to the geocaching community here.
        Please let us know when you've located and moved into your new dwelling, how things are going up there.
        Take care,
        Barry
        aka Doc Geo

        Sorry to see you guys go, but we hope you enjoy yourselves in CT!

        Brent & Amanda

        (BANDA)

        --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Nick Silkey"
        <nick@...> wrote:

        > CenTex'ers --
        >
        > In the near future, I will be relocating to New Haven, Connecticut to
        > take advantage of generous job offer. Both Wendy and I, along with
        > 16-month old Noah, will be departing from the area during the third
        > week of August. Its going to be a trip! Word is the CT community
        > dislikes PAGs, loves hikers, and even goes strong throughout those
        > crazy winter months (snowshoes, anyone?!).
        >
        > Its been really fun living in the Austin-area. Like many, I came here
        > from places abroad (if you want to call Victoria, Texas _abroad_) to
        > pursue my university degree at eighteen years of age. Once here, like
        > many, I just simply stayed out of love of the area's amenities
        > (schools, job market, culture, people). The Austin-area is a great
        > place, and my foray into geocaching (Feb 2005? sheesh.) further
        > cemented my connection to this greatness. The Texas Hill Country has
        > a beauty which I overlooked before being led to explore our area
        > trails, GPS in-hand. Thanks to all those who helped stash along some
        > really memorable places. Moreover, thanks to the generous geocaching
        > community. There is a real circle of friends here, although I find
        > this term somewhat misleading in that _all_ those who partake in the
        > hobby are graciously invited to be a part of this circle of friends
        > whether they have 10 finds or 10,000 finds.
        >
        > So does anybody want to adopt some caches? :) I have created a list
        > of all my active caches and put them into a spreadsheet on Google
        > Docs. The following URL will allow unauthenticated users to edit the
        > document:
        <http://spreadsheets .google.com/ ccc?key=pjejAvWL j3TJkrQukxXrCaQ& hl=en>
        > Column A lists the cache name, column B lists the GC ID (which also
        > links to the cache page if you select and click the icon), and Column
        > C lists the relative location of the container. So, please fill in
        > the D (or E if you want to be a backup adopter should the
        > First-To-Adopt fall through) columns if you have an interest in
        > adopting these caches. Then we can work out adoption details.
        >
        > Oh, and buy my house too ... ;)
        >
        > Happy trails.
        >
        > --
        > Nick
        > filler & bcat

      • Rich and Di Michelson
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
          Unbelievable!  I remember the night Rich and I met you and Wendy, trekking across WCP to find an XWDB near raging radioactive fluid losing potential energy.  Good times.

          I wanna adopt all the puzzles I haven't yet solved.  ;)  JK, but I bet we'll take some near us.  I'll look at the list later this afternoon.

          Obviously, there needs to be a goodbye event, and we're glad to host it.  Does Saturday the 16th work for you?  Where would you like it, Fudd's, Baby A's, Rudy's?  It needs to be submitted today...

          I was just thinking, after seeing you at the funky bus cruise event, how nice it was that you are back caching and I was looking forward to some more good puzzles.  We're really going to miss you guys!

          --Di
          dirich92

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008

            Good luck and may all three of you be very happy in CT.

            Russ the waterweasel

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
              I was also on that fateful mission and was glad to see you coming back
              out of semi-retirement. Really sad to see you guys leaving us, but
              definitely wishing you the best in your new location.

              I'd love to adopt some of those fun caches, but so many of them are on
              the other side of the planet (ie, north Austin!). ;)

              I definitely 2nd the idea for a send-off event. Even if we can't get
              an official GC listing, an informal one organized through the group
              would be a good idea.

              And it looks like the next time I take the train from NY to see my
              friend in Connecticut, I need to plan some extra time to go find an
              awesome filler cache or two!

              Kevin
              KoosKoos

            • Dick Young
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
                Do they have BBQ in Connecticut?
                Good luck in the new venture.
                Cache on,
                Dick Young
                AKA Blizzard

                <nick@...> wrote:

                > CenTex'ers --
                >
                > In the near future, I will be relocating to New Haven, Connecticut to
                > take advantage of generous job offer. Both Wendy and I, along with
                > 16-month old Noah, will be departing from the area during the third
                > week of August. Its going to be a trip! Word is the CT community
                > dislikes PAGs, loves hikers, and even goes strong throughout those
                > crazy winter months (snowshoes, anyone?!).
                >
                > Its been really fun living in the Austin-area. Like many, I came here
                > from places abroad (if you want to call Victoria, Texas _abroad_) to
                > pursue my university degree at eighteen years of age. Once here, like
                > many, I just simply stayed out of love of the area's amenities
                > (schools, job market, culture, people). The Austin-area is a great
                > place, and my foray into geocaching (Feb 2005? sheesh.) further
                > cemented my connection to this greatness. The Texas Hill Country has
                > a beauty which I overlooked before being led to explore our area
                > trails, GPS in-hand. Thanks to all those who helped stash along some
                > really memorable places. Moreover, thanks to the generous geocaching
                > community. There is a real circle of friends here, although I find
                > this term somewhat misleading in that _all_ those who partake in the
                > hobby are graciously invited to be a part of this circle of friends
                > whether they have 10 finds or 10,000 finds.
                >
                > So does anybody want to adopt some caches? :) I have created a list
                > of all my active caches and put them into a spreadsheet on Google
                > Docs. The following URL will allow unauthenticated users to edit the
                > document:
                <http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pjejAvWLj3TJkrQukxXrCaQ&hl=en>
                > Column A lists the cache name, column B lists the GC ID (which also
                > links to the cache page if you select and click the icon), and Column
                > C lists the relative location of the container. So, please fill in
                > the D (or E if you want to be a backup adopter should the
                > First-To-Adopt fall through) columns if you have an interest in
                > adopting these caches. Then we can work out adoption details.
                >
                > Oh, and buy my house too ... ;)
                >
                > Happy trails.
                >
                > --
                > Nick
                > filler & bcat

              • Nick Silkey
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
                  On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Dick Young <rtyoungster@...> wrote:
                  > Do they have BBQ in Connecticut?

                  Apparently not. Nor can one find cumin/comino or chili powder on
                  store shelves. Dont know about tortillas. :/

                  But I hear they have Italian dishes and pizza to die for in New
                  Haven-proper. :)

                  --
                  Nick
                  filler & bcat
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
                    I have to get busy learning how to do puzzle caches! This former math teacher has just been lazy this month. But hey - I got nearly 100 caches my first month of caching!

                    If you end up with any stragglers, I'll solve them and take them.

                    Jestr

                    In a message dated 7/31/2008 10:41:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time, nick@... writes:
                    So does anybody want to adopt some caches? :)

                  • Sonja Michelle Thomas
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008

                      A cache event for a quick run to Smokey Mo’s and Rudy’s to stock up on BBQ sauce?

                      There’s a pizza place about 20-30 mins north of New Haven that is really good. And a large is truly a large. The darn thing was at least 20” in diameter! Fed 4 adults and 2 teens with leftovers.  I’ll try to get a name and address when I call the folks tonight.

                      Sonja Michelle Lina Thomas

                      sonjamichellelt@...

                      Oregano --

                        The ancient Italian art of pizza folding.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
                        I got a huge grin on my face when I read your message. People ask me
                        how I ended up in Austin and I give them a very similar story! I came
                        here in 1972 to attend UT and just fell in love with the area.

                        I wish you the best in the next leg of your adventure.

                        I would be happy to adopt Cache Landing. I just solved the puzzle
                        this afternoon and will go sign the log tomorrow. I would be honored
                        to adopt this cache if you'll let me.

                        Only the very best to you and your family!

                        <nick@...> wrote:

                        > CenTex'ers --
                        >
                        > In the near future, I will be relocating to New Haven, Connecticut to
                        > take advantage of generous job offer. Both Wendy and I, along with
                        > 16-month old Noah, will be departing from the area during the third
                        > week of August. Its going to be a trip! Word is the CT community
                        > dislikes PAGs, loves hikers, and even goes strong throughout those
                        > crazy winter months (snowshoes, anyone?!).
                        >
                        > Its been really fun living in the Austin-area. Like many, I came here
                        > from places abroad (if you want to call Victoria, Texas _abroad_) to
                        > pursue my university degree at eighteen years of age. Once here, like
                        > many, I just simply stayed out of love of the area's amenities
                        > (schools, job market, culture, people). The Austin-area is a great
                        > place, and my foray into geocaching (Feb 2005? sheesh.) further
                        > cemented my connection to this greatness. The Texas Hill Country has
                        > a beauty which I overlooked before being led to explore our area
                        > trails, GPS in-hand. Thanks to all those who helped stash along some
                        > really memorable places. Moreover, thanks to the generous geocaching
                        > community. There is a real circle of friends here, although I find
                        > this term somewhat misleading in that _all_ those who partake in the
                        > hobby are graciously invited to be a part of this circle of friends
                        > whether they have 10 finds or 10,000 finds.
                        >
                        > So does anybody want to adopt some caches? :) I have created a list
                        > of all my active caches and put them into a spreadsheet on Google
                        > Docs. The following URL will allow unauthenticated users to edit the
                        > document:
                        <http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pjejAvWLj3TJkrQukxXrCaQ&hl=en>
                        > Column A lists the cache name, column B lists the GC ID (which also
                        > links to the cache page if you select and click the icon), and Column
                        > C lists the relative location of the container. So, please fill in
                        > the D (or E if you want to be a backup adopter should the
                        > First-To-Adopt fall through) columns if you have an interest in
                        > adopting these caches. Then we can work out adoption details.
                        >
                        > Oh, and buy my house too ... ;)
                        >
                        > Happy trails.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Nick
                        > filler & bcat

                      • Rich and Di Michelson
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
                          I have submitted an event for Saturday, 8/16, 6pm at the Rudy's on 183.  Nick&Wendy, does this time/date work for you?

                          --Di
                          dirich92
                        • Nick Silkey
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
                            On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Rich and Di Michelson
                            <dirich92@...> wrote:
                            > I have submitted an event for Saturday, 8/16, 6pm at the Rudy's on 183.
                            > Nick&Wendy, does this time/date work for you?

                            Push it to Sunday, 8/17, early-to-mid afternoon? You got yourself a
                            date! We have muggles throwing a non-geo event for us on Saturday
                            around that time. :)

                            --
                            Nick
                            filler & bcat
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 1, 2008
                              Nick,

                              Sorry to see you go. It was nice to see you back at it this last couple
                              of weeks. Good luck in Connecticut. Hopefully it will for you a new
                              caching Heaven. :-)

                              Have fun, cache on and don't forget to take Noah caching too. :-)

                              Arnaud - SoaringEagle

                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 2, 2008
                                Nick ... do you need boxes?
                                We've got three pretty nice ones sitting in the office.... Cleaner won't
                                toss 'em until we write 'trash' on 'em....

                                Meanwhile.
                                Moving.
                                =sympathies=
                                but hope it's all golden smilies at the end of the 'bushwhack'
                                =hugs=

                                Barb/Tygress

                                On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:40:58 -0500 "Nick Silkey" <nick@...>
                                writes:
                                > CenTex'ers --
                                >
                                > In the near future, I will be relocating to New Haven, Connecticut
                                > take advantage of generous job offer. Both Wendy and I, along with
                                > 16-month old Noah, will be departing from the area during the third
                                > week of August. Its going to be a trip! Word is the CT community
                                > dislikes PAGs, loves hikers, and even goes strong throughout those
                                > crazy winter months (snowshoes, anyone?!).
                                >
                                > Its been really fun living in the Austin-area. Like many, I came
                                > here
                                > from places abroad (if you want to call Victoria, Texas _abroad_)
                                > pursue my university degree at eighteen years of age. Once here,
                                > like
                                > many, I just simply stayed out of love of the area's amenities
                                > (schools, job market, culture, people). The Austin-area is a great
                                > place, and my foray into geocaching (Feb 2005? sheesh.) further
                                > cemented my connection to this greatness. The Texas Hill Country
                                > has
                                > a beauty which I overlooked before being led to explore our area
                                > trails, GPS in-hand. Thanks to all those who helped stash along
                                > some
                                > really memorable places. Moreover, thanks to the generous
                                > geocaching
                                > community. There is a real circle of friends here, although I find
                                > this term somewhat misleading in that _all_ those who partake in
                                > the
                                > hobby are graciously invited to be a part of this circle of friends
                                > whether they have 10 finds or 10,000 finds.
                                >
                                > So does anybody want to adopt some caches? :) I have created a
                                > list
                                > of all my active caches and put them into a spreadsheet on Google
                                > Docs. The following URL will allow unauthenticated users to edit
                                > the
                                > document:
                                > <http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pjejAvWLj3TJkrQukxXrCaQ&hl=en>
                                > Column A lists the cache name, column B lists the GC ID (which also
                                > links to the cache page if you select and click the icon), and
                                > Column
                                > C lists the relative location of the container. So, please fill in
                                > the D (or E if you want to be a backup adopter should the
                                > First-To-Adopt fall through) columns if you have an interest in
                                > adopting these caches. Then we can work out adoption details.
                                >
                                > Oh, and buy my house too ... ;)
                                >
                                > Happy trails.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Nick
                                > filler & bcat

                                Click to make millions by owning your own franchise.
                                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3m6iSVAvN1abpb4iie4MVp0Ua7YAnFS24CI0bzpa9dGoylBI/
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 2, 2008
                                  On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:54:44 -0500 "Nick Silkey" <nick@...> writes:
                                  > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Dick Young <rtyoungster@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > Do they have BBQ in Connecticut?
                                  >
                                  > Apparently not. Nor can one find cumin/comino or chili powder on
                                  > store shelves. Dont know about tortillas. :/

                                  www.penzeys.com

                                  wonderful spices....

                                  > But I hear they have Italian dishes and pizza to die for in New
                                  > Haven-proper. :)

                                  discovering the country, one time zone at a time.
                                  No, wait, that's OUR motto....

                                  Barb/Tygress/moved too many darned times
                                  Home prices too high? Click here for interest only loans to buy the home of your dreams.
                                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3mKu4EC7fcoAStsHHHafszV2Itqp48wo4OVhno3XB8utuk2G/
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 2, 2008
                                    100 in your first month?
                                    You're HOOKED!
                                    excellent!
                                    Tygress

                                    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 19:07:11 EDT jestrrrulz@... writes:
                                    I have to get busy learning how to do puzzle caches! This former math teacher has just been lazy this month. But hey - I got nearly 100 caches my first month of caching!

                                    If you end up with any stragglers, I'll solve them and take them.

                                    Jestr

                                    In a message dated 7/31/2008 10:41:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time, nick@... writes:
                                    So does anybody want to adopt some caches? :)

                                    Click here to compare top medical billing products, get demos, and quotes.

                                  • danminer9th
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 2, 2008
                                      I grew up in rural New York state and lived in Massachusetts for 10
                                      years before becoming a Texan in 1995. The Mexican and BBQ in the
                                      Northeast is lacking, but the Italian and especially the seafood is
                                      MUCH better up there.

                                      I can state with some authority that:

                                      - The best Mexican food in New England is at Taco Bell.
                                      ...but...
                                      - The best New England style clam chowder in Texas is Campbell's

                                      There are pluses and minuses to everywhere you go. Enjoy the pluses
                                      while you're there. The next place you go may not have them. I
                                      hesitate to mention snow. That by itself has pluses and minuses. I
                                      really miss being able to drive (only) an hour or so to go skiing.

                                      - Dan Miner (WhiteShark - an inactive cacher)

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 2, 2008
                                        Penzy's Spices . . . <G>

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 2, 2008

                                          My folks moved to Connecticut in 2004 after spending 20 years in Phoenix, AZ.  Their first winter was quite a shock. My dad was a bit depressed, especially after his first few falls shoveling snow.  I sent them this and it made their day:

                                          Winter Diary

                                          August 12: Moved to our new home in Connecticut. It is so beautiful here. The mountains are so majestic. Can hardly wait to see snow covering them.

                                          October 14: Connecticut is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turned all the colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful mountains and saw some deer. They are so graceful. Certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.

                                          November 11: Deer season will start soon. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon. I love it here.

                                          December 2: It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snow ball fight (I won), and when the snow-plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Connecticut.

                                          December 12: More snow last night. I love it. The snow-plow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.

                                          December 19: More snow last night. Couldn’t get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. Fucking snow-plow.

                                          December 22: More of that white shit fell last night. I’ve got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow-plow hides around the curve and waits until I’m done shoveling the driveway. Asshole!

                                          December 25: Merry Fucking Christmas. More friggen snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-bitch who drives the snow-plow I swear I’ll kill the bastard. Don’t know why they don’t use more salt on the roads to melt the fucking ice.

                                          December 27: More white shit last night. Been inside for three days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow-plow goes through every time. Can’t go anywhere, car’s stuck in a mountain of white shit. The weatherman says to expect another 10 inches of the shit again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10 inches is?

                                          December 28: The fucking weatherman was wrong. We got 34 inches of that shit this time. At this rate it won’t melt before the summer. The snow-plow got stuck up in the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the shit he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his fucking head.

                                          January 4: Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those fucking beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.

                                          May 3: Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from that fucking salt they put all over the roads.

                                          May 10: Moved to Arizona. I can’t imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that god-forsaken state of Connecticut.

                                        • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 2, 2008
                                            I would say I'm hooked. I would also say that the slowest month for my work is July! ha! I even searched for one in Costa Rica only to discover that the container had been modified (way downsized) and moved slightly the day before I went hiking to find it! What a shame since I had several TB's from the Lone Star State!

                                            In a message dated 8/2/2008 9:17:51 A.M. Central Daylight Time, gumbietygress@... writes:
                                            100 in your first month?
                                            You're HOOKED!
                                            excellent!

                                          • mda_taz
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 3, 2008
                                              We sure have enjoyed several of your cache hides and visiting with
                                              you at many events. You have added insight and help to many topics
                                              on the forum. We will miss y'all here in Austin. Good luck on your
                                              family's new adventures and building a future together. Enjoy life
                                              and have fun. Remember to stop and smell the roses along the way.
                                              Oh yeah, find some caches too.

                                              mda_taz and Semik
                                              Matthew & Audra