Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Mapping Texas Communities GIS Workshops

  • Mary Beth Booth
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2008

      I took this course 2 years ago  - not because I wanted to learn GIS (since I teach GIS I'd better already know it!), but because I wanted access to the great Census data they claimed they had that was already in GIS format. I figured getting a really good Census dataset from them was worth the $500. The data stunk (it wasn't in final form & you had to do a million manipulations to get it to work). The course itself is intense and I think as one of my formers students once said about taking a 2-day ESRI course "Learning GIS like this is like trying to take a drink of water from a fire hose". IMHO, if you want to learn ArcGIS, you should consider buying the book "Getting to know ArcGIS desktop". It's about $35 on Amazon. It will give you a good beginning knowledge of the software and it comes with a 180-day trial of the software. And if you want to learn the theory of GIS so you actually understand WHAT you are doing and WHY you are doing it when you click the buttons in the software, go take a class. ACC is pretty cheap if you live in-district & I hear the prof isn't half-bad :)

      Mary Beth

      (emmy-n-sapphie)