Re: Noob In Copperas Cove

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
      Greetings, and welcome to geocaching. You've done a good thing by
      seeking out assistance in a user group. You'll find that the
      geocaching community is a collection of some very awesome
      individuals. Most everyone I've met while geocaching has been very
      helpful and very friendly. I'm from Killeen. Unfortunately, I do
      almost all of my caching alone. Not because I'm snooty or
      antisocial, but because the constrains of work and family typically
      make geocaching a spur of the moment endeavor. Trying to make plans
      to cache with others can be a real pain in the backside. But that
      being said, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to
      ask. I will be more than willing to help if I can.

      I noticed that you received a reply from Andrew (Kangadrew). He's
      one of the local veterans of the game and really knows his stuff. He
      helped me out immensely when I was first starting out. He's
      definitely an ambassador of sport.

      I would echo the sentiments of a previous poster...attend some
      events. This is the best way to establish yourself in the geocaching
      community and glean knowledge from your fellow cachers. I was
      overjoyed when I attended my first event and found out just how great
      geocachers really are. Geocaching events are informative and guess
      what.....they're fun! I have a blast every time I get to go to an
      event. Make it a point to do so if you get the chance.

      Again, if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Have a great day
      and happy caching!

      Mark
      (BewareOfPenguin)
    • Julie Perrine
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008

        Hi Karensa,

        Welcome!  That’s a great story about how you found your first cache by accident!  My son found one the same way long before I found my first cache.

        Copperas Cove/Killeen has a great community, and they do a really good job at making it a family affair, too.  Lots of kids are out there finding things and having fun.  Kangadrew will get you hooked up with them.

        The CentralTexasGeocachers group loosely includes everyone between Waco and San Antonio, but also anyone else who wants to join in.  Knowing the people you’re playing with makes it even more fun!  We hold lots of events, and the best way to find events is to look at the top of the email that you can subscribe to through your GC.com profile.  The email comes every Thursday and keep you up on what’s new in your area.   The next event I’m aware of takes place July 12 in Georgetown.  Hope to see you at an event soon!

        To help everyone keep track of everyone else, we post with both our real names and our game names.  Like this…..

        Cheers,