Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Noob In Copperas Cove

  • engelwaffen@suddenlink.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
      Welcome to our obsession.  I'm based in Amarillo which of course is no where near to you.  I been caching since Dec 2001 but not really getting into this until 2003.  Some folks like Mrs. capt picard or moosiegirl and quite a few others got scads of finds and that out shine my own.  I would also figure they have a few more scars to show for them as well.  :P   These folks are good about posting little events in the Austin area for learning how the hobby works,  almost a monthly thing it seems.  Go to them if you can, if the cachers there are anything like the one we have here in Amarillo, you won't find a finer group of people.

      Cache safe, cache on.

      amishangel/don
      "the amish postman"
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008

        Welcome to the group!

        I am from Copperas Cove and would be glad to help your family get started and answer any questions you have about geocaching.

        Drew (KangaDrew)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
          Greetings, and welcome to geocaching. You've done a good thing by
          seeking out assistance in a user group. You'll find that the
          geocaching community is a collection of some very awesome
          individuals. Most everyone I've met while geocaching has been very
          helpful and very friendly. I'm from Killeen. Unfortunately, I do
          almost all of my caching alone. Not because I'm snooty or
          antisocial, but because the constrains of work and family typically
          make geocaching a spur of the moment endeavor. Trying to make plans
          to cache with others can be a real pain in the backside. But that
          being said, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to
          ask. I will be more than willing to help if I can.

          I noticed that you received a reply from Andrew (Kangadrew). He's
          one of the local veterans of the game and really knows his stuff. He
          helped me out immensely when I was first starting out. He's
          definitely an ambassador of sport.

          I would echo the sentiments of a previous poster...attend some
          events. This is the best way to establish yourself in the geocaching
          community and glean knowledge from your fellow cachers. I was
          overjoyed when I attended my first event and found out just how great
          geocachers really are. Geocaching events are informative and guess
          what.....they're fun! I have a blast every time I get to go to an
          event. Make it a point to do so if you get the chance.

          Again, if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Have a great day
          and happy caching!

          Mark
          (BewareOfPenguin)
        • Julie Perrine
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008

            Hi Karensa,

            Welcome!  That’s a great story about how you found your first cache by accident!  My son found one the same way long before I found my first cache.

            Copperas Cove/Killeen has a great community, and they do a really good job at making it a family affair, too.  Lots of kids are out there finding things and having fun.  Kangadrew will get you hooked up with them.

            The CentralTexasGeocachers group loosely includes everyone between Waco and San Antonio, but also anyone else who wants to join in.  Knowing the people you’re playing with makes it even more fun!  We hold lots of events, and the best way to find events is to look at the top of the email that you can subscribe to through your GC.com profile.  The email comes every Thursday and keep you up on what’s new in your area.   The next event I’m aware of takes place July 12 in Georgetown.  Hope to see you at an event soon!

            To help everyone keep track of everyone else, we post with both our real names and our game names.  Like this…..

            Cheers,