Noob In Copperas Cove

  • Karensa Karas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hi -

      I trailed this link from "Koos Koos's" sig link: Looking for Central
      Texas cachers? We tend to hang out here: (visit link) on the
      groundspeak forums...I joined awhile ago but never posted til today.

      Here's the recap from that post so I don't have to type it all again!
      ---
      Hi from Copperas Cove, Texas - slightly southwest of Killeen (Ft.
      Hood) area. I joined Groundspeak several months ago but don't
      remember if I posted here or not, and no previous posts are
      showing...so here goes my official jump in!

      I'm looking for anyone in this area to buddy up with in scouting and
      hiding caches. I was given a Magellan Sportrak that I still haven't
      figured out how to use. Hands on instruction would be helpful - found
      a manual online and went through it okay but it's not quite gelling
      in real time use.

      I managed to find my first cache (Tears In Heaven) not long ago,
      without actually trying to find one or looking! It was a total
      accident - we were checking out an historical marker at a graveyard
      and I got a sticker burr in my shoe, went to a big tree on the
      grounds to use as a brace to remove it when I noticed a curious rock
      formation. My son and I pulled the stones away and pulled out a metal
      container with the geocaching.com sticker! I was so hooked. My son
      took out a purple fish keychain and we left a little glass dove
      (someone got that right after!). So we are psyched and want to get
      started.

      Also was given a metal detector a couple weeks ago and my husband
      took it in the yard and dug up a 14kt gold nugget ring that fit
      me...so anyone with an interest in that area, please let me know!

      I've still got reading and browsing to do to learn and get rolling,
      but I don't know anyone here since we moved and would love to make
      some new friends and have someone to hang out with that shares these
      sorts of interests. If you're near the area, please say hi. More info
      on the profile thing too!

      Thanks!
    • engelwaffen@suddenlink.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
        Welcome to our obsession.  I'm based in Amarillo which of course is no where near to you.  I been caching since Dec 2001 but not really getting into this until 2003.  Some folks like Mrs. capt picard or moosiegirl and quite a few others got scads of finds and that out shine my own.  I would also figure they have a few more scars to show for them as well.  :P   These folks are good about posting little events in the Austin area for learning how the hobby works,  almost a monthly thing it seems.  Go to them if you can, if the cachers there are anything like the one we have here in Amarillo, you won't find a finer group of people.

        Cache safe, cache on.

        amishangel/don
        "the amish postman"

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008

          Welcome to the group!

          I am from Copperas Cove and would be glad to help your family get started and answer any questions you have about geocaching.

          Drew (KangaDrew)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
            Greetings, and welcome to geocaching. You've done a good thing by
            seeking out assistance in a user group. You'll find that the
            geocaching community is a collection of some very awesome
            individuals. Most everyone I've met while geocaching has been very
            helpful and very friendly. I'm from Killeen. Unfortunately, I do
            almost all of my caching alone. Not because I'm snooty or
            antisocial, but because the constrains of work and family typically
            make geocaching a spur of the moment endeavor. Trying to make plans
            to cache with others can be a real pain in the backside. But that
            being said, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to
            ask. I will be more than willing to help if I can.

            I noticed that you received a reply from Andrew (Kangadrew). He's
            one of the local veterans of the game and really knows his stuff. He
            helped me out immensely when I was first starting out. He's
            definitely an ambassador of sport.

            I would echo the sentiments of a previous poster...attend some
            events. This is the best way to establish yourself in the geocaching
            community and glean knowledge from your fellow cachers. I was
            overjoyed when I attended my first event and found out just how great
            geocachers really are. Geocaching events are informative and guess
            what.....they're fun! I have a blast every time I get to go to an
            event. Make it a point to do so if you get the chance.

            Again, if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Have a great day
            and happy caching!

            Mark
            (BewareOfPenguin)
          • Julie Perrine
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008

              Hi Karensa,

              Welcome!  That’s a great story about how you found your first cache by accident!  My son found one the same way long before I found my first cache.

              Copperas Cove/Killeen has a great community, and they do a really good job at making it a family affair, too.  Lots of kids are out there finding things and having fun.  Kangadrew will get you hooked up with them.

              The CentralTexasGeocachers group loosely includes everyone between Waco and San Antonio, but also anyone else who wants to join in.  Knowing the people you’re playing with makes it even more fun!  We hold lots of events, and the best way to find events is to look at the top of the email that you can subscribe to through your GC.com profile.  The email comes every Thursday and keep you up on what’s new in your area.   The next event I’m aware of takes place July 12 in Georgetown.  Hope to see you at an event soon!

              To help everyone keep track of everyone else, we post with both our real names and our game names.  Like this…..

              Cheers,