Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] To Update Coords Or To Archive

  • Kevin (KoosKoos)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
      If your move is more than 528', you can't move it on your own and update the coordinates.  It would require resubmitting it as a new hide.

      My opinion is if you're moving it a fair amount AND changing the container, you're changing the experience of the original cache.  Archive the first hide and make a new one.  Call is "Son of..." if you'd like to recognize your old hide or just let it stand completely on its own.

      Kevin
      KoosKoos

      On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Mark <bewareofpenguin@...> wrote:

      I have a question to which I'm sure there is no right or wrong answer,
      but I'd like to get opinions on it. I have a cache that was
      originally set near a large rock pile. It wasn't actually in the rock
      pile, but it was close and the rock pile being there was crucial to
      the novelty of the cache. The rock pile has been removed and now I'm
      left with a rather lame cache. I'm not satisfied with the way it now
      is. However, there is a spot in the immediate area in which I would
      like to place the cache. It allows more flexibility as far as
      container size and camouflaging is concerned. I'm looking to upgrade
      this cache from a micro to a small container, big enough to
      accommodate swaggables.

      The current location and the perspective location are roughly 500 -
      600 feet apart. So my question is this: would it be a better idea to
      move the cache and update the coordinates, or to archive the old cache
      and publish a new one in the new location?

      Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
      Have a great day and Happy Caching!

      Mark
      (BoP)

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
        Many thanks to those who replied. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
        It seems like a win-win if I go ahead and archive the old cache. I
        get a tally in the hides column and everyone gets another smiley
        opportunity.

        I'll serve notice that the old cache, "Down Near The Crick (Formally
        URP!) (GC19VZM) will be archived on Sunday, July 6th. That will give
        anyone who happens to be in the neighborhood between now and then a
        chance to score a quick and dirty smiley. I'll swing by there in the
        evening on my way to work, pick up the old micro and deposit the new
        cache for subsequent publishing.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008

          My $0.02 is that if you move the cache more than maybe 100 feet or so and particularly if it is a different type of container, than it should be a new hide.

          Russ the waterweasel

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2008
            You'll get more visitors if you archive the first and launch a 2nd ...
            then all of us old finders will come back.
            That's what I'd probably do -- 600 feet is over a tenth of a mile, after
            all.

            On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:46:13 -0000 "Mark" <bewareofpenguin@...>
            writes:
            > I have a question to which I'm sure there is no right or wrong
            > answer,
            > but I'd like to get opinions on it. I have a cache that was
            > originally set near a large rock pile. It wasn't actually in the
            > rock
            > pile, but it was close and the rock pile being there was crucial to
            > the novelty of the cache. The rock pile has been removed and now
            > I'm
            > left with a rather lame cache. I'm not satisfied with the way it
            > now
            > is. However, there is a spot in the immediate area in which I
            > would
            > like to place the cache. It allows more flexibility as far as
            > container size and camouflaging is concerned. I'm looking to
            > upgrade
            > this cache from a micro to a small container, big enough to
            > accommodate swaggables.
            >
            > The current location and the perspective location are roughly 500 -
            > 600 feet apart. So my question is this: would it be a better idea
            > move the cache and update the coordinates, or to archive the old
            > cache
            > and publish a new one in the new location?
            >
            > Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
            > Have a great day and Happy Caching!
            >
            > Mark
            > (BoP)

            Enter for Your Chance to WIN*
            The TotalBeauty.com Summer Spa Sweepstakes!
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/JKFkuJi7UfiF3lIBPTeGvjEuvauFCeBVf9OPAyiJABvf9hQjpexiJc/