To Update Coords Or To Archive

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
      I have a question to which I'm sure there is no right or wrong answer,
      but I'd like to get opinions on it. I have a cache that was
      originally set near a large rock pile. It wasn't actually in the rock
      pile, but it was close and the rock pile being there was crucial to
      the novelty of the cache. The rock pile has been removed and now I'm
      left with a rather lame cache. I'm not satisfied with the way it now
      is. However, there is a spot in the immediate area in which I would
      like to place the cache. It allows more flexibility as far as
      container size and camouflaging is concerned. I'm looking to upgrade
      this cache from a micro to a small container, big enough to
      accommodate swaggables.

      The current location and the perspective location are roughly 500 -
      600 feet apart. So my question is this: would it be a better idea to
      move the cache and update the coordinates, or to archive the old cache
      and publish a new one in the new location?

      Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
      Have a great day and Happy Caching!

      Mark
      (BoP)
    • Julie Perrine
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008

        Archive it and put up a new cache!  If it’s totally different, why not offer people who have already found your old cache the chance to come find your NEW one!  Sounds like you’ll be much prouder to own the new cache anyway.

        Cheers,

        Someone who likes to have new caches to find……

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008

          I would archive the old cache and place another.

          Seems like everything about the cache is changing so it would be a good time to give people another chance for a smiley.

          Just my opinion,

          Melanie

          (ACCLanMan)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
              Many thanks to those who replied. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
              It seems like a win-win if I go ahead and archive the old cache. I
              get a tally in the hides column and everyone gets another smiley
              opportunity.

              I'll serve notice that the old cache, "Down Near The Crick (Formally
              URP!) (GC19VZM) will be archived on Sunday, July 6th. That will give
              anyone who happens to be in the neighborhood between now and then a
              chance to score a quick and dirty smiley. I'll swing by there in the
              evening on my way to work, pick up the old micro and deposit the new
              cache for subsequent publishing.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008

                My $0.02 is that if you move the cache more than maybe 100 feet or so and particularly if it is a different type of container, than it should be a new hide.

                Russ the waterweasel

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2008
                  You'll get more visitors if you archive the first and launch a 2nd ...
                  then all of us old finders will come back.
                  That's what I'd probably do -- 600 feet is over a tenth of a mile, after
                  all.

                  On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:46:13 -0000 "Mark" <bewareofpenguin@...>
                  writes:
                  > I have a question to which I'm sure there is no right or wrong
                  > answer,
                  > but I'd like to get opinions on it. I have a cache that was
                  > originally set near a large rock pile. It wasn't actually in the
                  > rock
                  > pile, but it was close and the rock pile being there was crucial to
                  > the novelty of the cache. The rock pile has been removed and now
                  > I'm
                  > left with a rather lame cache. I'm not satisfied with the way it
                  > now
                  > is. However, there is a spot in the immediate area in which I
                  > would
                  > like to place the cache. It allows more flexibility as far as
                  > container size and camouflaging is concerned. I'm looking to
                  > upgrade
                  > this cache from a micro to a small container, big enough to
                  > accommodate swaggables.
                  >
                  > The current location and the perspective location are roughly 500 -
                  > 600 feet apart. So my question is this: would it be a better idea
                  > move the cache and update the coordinates, or to archive the old
                  > cache
                  > and publish a new one in the new location?
                  >
                  > Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
                  > Have a great day and Happy Caching!
                  >
                  > Mark
                  > (BoP)

                  Enter for Your Chance to WIN*
                  The TotalBeauty.com Summer Spa Sweepstakes!
                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/JKFkuJi7UfiF3lIBPTeGvjEuvauFCeBVf9OPAyiJABvf9hQjpexiJc/