RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] cache type on your Garmin gps

  • Julie Perrine
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008

      Hi Drew,

      I think what they’re saying is that they use GSAK to transfer the data with the various icons, which is different than overwriting icons in your GPS with something new.

      I could be wrong!

      From: Nick Silkey <nsilkey@...>
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 11:20 AM

      I remember this being possible using something like the Garmin
      POILoader function to push these to my 60CS. I ended up scrapping
      that approach in-favor of a customized waypoint name, with tidbits
      like drop2, type, size, diff, terr, and the smart name in the
      description. Worked great since I believe the character limit on
      waypoint names on the 60CS was 12 characters. I preferred that to the
      hacking you had to do then to make the custom icons work.

      Things may have changed a lot since the evolution of GSAK macros,
      version 7, and the like.

      My $0.02.

      On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Dwayne <rabel6973@sbcglobal .net> wrote:

      > I have driven down the road with the gps running and a cache floats
      > bye. I wonder if I have time to hunt for this one or not. They are
      > all of one type. Without a PDA or log sheet you do not know what you
      > are looking for(trad,multi, puzzle,film can). I was not aware of this
      > work around found on the gsak. You can download the cache type
      > picture into your gps map page and as you go down the road you can
      > tell if it is something your plans(timeline) allows for finding.
      >
      > Geocaching Swiss Army Knife web site
      > http://gsak. net/
      > topic
      > http://gsak.
      net/board/ index.php? showtopic= 5643

      > I learned something new when a fellow cached posted a question about
      > counties macro running in gsak. I downloaded the files and a little
      > help from MDA_TAZ and SEMIK I got the macro working. So this opened a
      > new chapter of playing with macro's. Maybe this will take some of the
      > mystery out of the game for others just starting out.
      >
      > Dwayne
      > rabel6973--geoname

    • d_rubarb
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
        I didn't make myself clear. We are talking about the same thing. I use the GSAK macro to send the waypoints to the GPS and it assigns the appropriate geocaching.com icons. You do have to install the icons on your GPS first using xImage though. There are good instructions in the GSAK forums for how to setup your GPS and install the macro.

        Drew (KangaDrew)