Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] cache type on your Garmin gps

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
      I remember this being possible using something like the Garmin
      POILoader function to push these to my 60CS. I ended up scrapping
      that approach in-favor of a customized waypoint name, with tidbits
      like drop2, type, size, diff, terr, and the smart name in the
      description. Worked great since I believe the character limit on
      waypoint names on the 60CS was 12 characters. I preferred that to the
      hacking you had to do then to make the custom icons work.

      Things may have changed a lot since the evolution of GSAK macros,
      version 7, and the like.

      My $0.02.

      On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Dwayne <rabel6973@...> wrote:
      > I have driven down the road with the gps running and a cache floats
      > bye. I wonder if I have time to hunt for this one or not. They are
      > all of one type. Without a PDA or log sheet you do not know what you
      > are looking for(trad,multi,puzzle,film can). I was not aware of this
      > work around found on the gsak. You can download the cache type
      > picture into your gps map page and as you go down the road you can
      > tell if it is something your plans(timeline)allows for finding.
      >
      > Geocaching Swiss Army Knife web site
      > http://gsak.net/
      > topic
      > http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=5643
      >
      > I learned something new when a fellow cached posted a question about
      > counties macro running in gsak. I downloaded the files and a little
      > help from MDA_TAZ and SEMIK I got the macro working. So this opened a
      > new chapter of playing with macro's. Maybe this will take some of the
      > mystery out of the game for others just starting out.
      >
      > Dwayne
      > rabel6973--geoname

    • d_rubarb
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
        I've been using the GC.com icons on my GPS for a long time. It works really well for me and I like seeing the smiley faces when I find a cache. The only problem is that the gps can only recognize two icons for the geocaching function. I set the geocache up with the traditional cache icon as not found and smiley face as the found. If I find a cache type other than traditional I have to change that caches icon in the gps to the traditional icon before I can mark it found.

        Drew (KangaDrew)

        On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Dwayne <rabel6973@sbcglobal .net> wrote:
        > I have driven down the road with the gps running and a cache floats
        > bye. I wonder if I have time to hunt for this one or not. They are
        > all of one type. Without a PDA or log sheet you do not know what you
        > are looking for(trad,multi, puzzle,film can). I was not aware of this
        > work around found on the gsak. You can download the cache type
        > picture into your gps map page and as you go down the road you can
        > tell if it is something your plans(timeline) allows for finding.
        >
        > Geocaching Swiss Army Knife web site
        > http://gsak. net/
        > topic
        > http://gsak. net/board/ index.php? showtopic= 5643
        >
        > I learned something new when a fellow cached posted a question about
        > counties macro running in gsak. I downloaded the files and a little
        > help from MDA_TAZ and SEMIK I got the macro working. So this opened a
        > new chapter of playing with macro's. Maybe this will take some of the
        > mystery out of the game for others just starting out.
        >
        > Dwayne
        > rabel6973--geoname

      • Julie Perrine
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008

          Hi Drew,

          I think what they’re saying is that they use GSAK to transfer the data with the various icons, which is different than overwriting icons in your GPS with something new.

          I could be wrong!

          I've been using the GC.com icons on my GPS for a long time. It works really well for me and I like seeing the smiley faces when I find a cache. The only problem is that the gps can only recognize two icons for the geocaching function. I set the geocache up with the traditional cache icon as not found and smiley face as the found. If I find a cache type other than traditional I have to change that caches icon in the gps to the traditional icon before I can mark it found.

          Drew (KangaDrew)

          I remember this being possible using something like the Garmin
          POILoader function to push these to my 60CS. I ended up scrapping
          that approach in-favor of a customized waypoint name, with tidbits
          like drop2, type, size, diff, terr, and the smart name in the
          description. Worked great since I believe the character limit on
          waypoint names on the 60CS was 12 characters. I preferred that to the
          hacking you had to do then to make the custom icons work.

          Things may have changed a lot since the evolution of GSAK macros,
          version 7, and the like.

          My $0.02.

          On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Dwayne <rabel6973@sbcglobal .net> wrote:

          > I have driven down the road with the gps running and a cache floats
          > bye. I wonder if I have time to hunt for this one or not. They are
          > all of one type. Without a PDA or log sheet you do not know what you
          > are looking for(trad,multi, puzzle,film can). I was not aware of this
          > work around found on the gsak. You can download the cache type
          > picture into your gps map page and as you go down the road you can
          > tell if it is something your plans(timeline) allows for finding.
          >
          > Geocaching Swiss Army Knife web site
          > http://gsak. net/
          > topic
          > http://gsak.
          net/board/ index.php? showtopic= 5643

          > I learned something new when a fellow cached posted a question about
          > counties macro running in gsak. I downloaded the files and a little
          > help from MDA_TAZ and SEMIK I got the macro working. So this opened a
          > new chapter of playing with macro's. Maybe this will take some of the
          > mystery out of the game for others just starting out.
          >
          > Dwayne
          > rabel6973--geoname

        • d_rubarb
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
            I didn't make myself clear. We are talking about the same thing. I use the GSAK macro to send the waypoints to the GPS and it assigns the appropriate geocaching.com icons. You do have to install the icons on your GPS first using xImage though. There are good instructions in the GSAK forums for how to setup your GPS and install the macro.

            Drew (KangaDrew)