OT: Skype/other VOIPs

  • Renee
    Message 1 of 7 , May 27, 2008

      I am only asking here because I have seen a previous Skype discussion on here I believe and I am trying to reach Skype users so…  I would LOVE to hear from anyone that uses Skype.  I am interested in finding out more but the website is not answering some basic questions that I have.  If you use Skype (or have another VOIP that you’re happy with) I want to hear from you!!  PLEASE!!  Call my cell 2 ten – 2 three 2 – five 3 five 6.

      Thanks!

      Renee/zenfire

    • Dominic J. Eidson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 27, 2008
        Renee,

        I have both skype and a seperate VoIP solution at my apartment. Then
        again, I'm geeky and whatnot (I set up my own telemarketer defense, and
        have had 100% success rate so far).

        Drop me a line with your questions, or you can call me at 5i2 6three2
        3four6nine.

        - d.

        --
        Dominic J. Eidson
        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
        Message 3 of 7 , May 28, 2008
          We have just set up basic skype computer to computer at our house.
          One daughter is leaving for South Korea (for a year), so this way we
          will be able to talk for free. Computer to computer is still free.
          One thing that is really cool is that we can set up a live conference
          call... and have multiple family members in on the same
          conversation.. we will be trying to set it up so that we can talk to
          daughter #1 in Baltimore at the same time as daughter #1 in South
          Korea, and just have a big family chat! (We practiced with 3
          computers at home.. super cool!)

          When we used it in 2004 for another daughter (in Taiwan for the
          summer), it was amazingly clear! It was great to be able to actually
          talk to her (free) half-way around the world. It was clearer than
          most of our landlines.

          I don't know that much about it, but will be learning lots over the
          next few months.
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dominic J. Eidson"
          <sauron@...> wrote:

          > Renee,
          >
          > I have both skype and a seperate VoIP solution at my apartment.
          Then
          > again, I'm geeky and whatnot (I set up my own telemarketer defense,
          and
          > have had 100% success rate so far).
          >
          > Drop me a line with your questions, or you can call me at 5i2
          6three2
          > 3four6nine.
          >
          > - d.
          >
          > On Tue, 27 May 2008, Renee wrote:
          >
          > > I am only asking here because I have seen a previous Skype
          discussion on
          > > here I believe and I am trying to reach Skype users so. I would
          LOVE to
          > > hear from anyone that uses Skype. I am interested in finding out
          more but
          > > the website is not answering some basic questions that I have.
          If you use
          > > Skype (or have another VOIP that you're happy with) I want to
          hear from
          > > you!! PLEASE!! Call my cell 2 ten - 2 three 2 - five 3 five 6.
          >
          > --
          > Dominic J. Eidson
          > "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-
          menu!" - Gimli
          --------

          http://www.dominiceidson.com/

        • Rich and Di Michelson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 28, 2008
            I use it for business calls (computer to computer) and like both the voice and the chat.  I definitely use a headset with mike attached.  It's a USB headset and cuts out the distracting noise of the kids or the TV.

            One thing I haven't figured out is how to log in on a computer other than the one I used to set up my account.  I haven't seriously tried, but it was not intuitive the one time I did try.

            --Di
            dirich92
            2008/5/27 Renee <zenfire@...>:

            I am only asking here because I have seen a previous Skype discussion on here I believe and I am trying to reach Skype users so…  I would LOVE to hear from anyone that uses Skype.  I am interested in finding out more but the website is not answering some basic questions that I have.  If you use Skype (or have another VOIP that you're happy with) I want to hear from you!!  PLEASE!!  Call my cell 2 ten – 2 three 2 – five 3 five 6.

            Thanks!

            Renee/zenfire

          • Barry
            Message 5 of 7 , May 28, 2008
              I just chat over Yahoo IM in text… it's free.
              And I can still talk to and listen to the other person
              if we wish to go voice…. for freeeeeee…..
              Barry
              aka Doc Geo

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich and Di
              Michelson" <dirich92@...> wrote:

              > I use it for business calls (computer to computer) and like both
              the voice
              > and the chat. I definitely use a headset with mike attached.
              It's a USB
              > headset and cuts out the distracting noise of the kids or the TV.
              >
              > One thing I haven't figured out is how to log in on a computer
              other than
              > the one I used to set up my account. I haven't seriously tried,
              but it was
              > not intuitive the one time I did try.
              >
              > --Di
              > dirich92
              > 2008/5/27 Renee <zenfire@...>:
              >
              > > I am only asking here because I have seen a previous Skype
              discussion
              > > on here I believe and I am trying to reach Skype users so… I
              would LOVE to
              > > hear from anyone that uses Skype. I am interested in finding
              out more but
              > > the website is not answering some basic questions that I have.
              If you use
              > > Skype (or have another VOIP that you're happy with) I want to
              hear from
              > > you!! PLEASE!! Call my cell 2 ten – 2 three 2 – five 3 five 6.
              > >

              > > Thanks!
              > >

              > > Renee/zenfire

            • Rich and Di Michelson
              Message 6 of 7 , May 28, 2008
                Skype is free too, computer to computer.  And that's how I use it to call Canada.  I love free.  :)

                --Di

                Michelson" <dirich92@...> wrote:

                > I use it for business calls (computer to computer) and like both
                the voice
                > and the chat. I definitely use a headset with mike attached.
                It's a USB
                > headset and cuts out the distracting noise of the kids or the TV.
                >
                > One thing I haven't figured out is how to log in on a computer
                other than
                > the one I used to set up my account. I haven't seriously tried,
                but it was
                > not intuitive the one time I did try.
                >
                > --Di
                > dirich92
                > 2008/5/27 Renee <zenfire@...>:

                > > I am only asking here because I have seen a previous Skype
                discussion
                > > on here I believe and I am trying to reach Skype users so… I
                would LOVE to
                > > hear from anyone that uses Skype. I am interested in finding
                out more but
                > > the website is not answering some basic questions that I have.
                If you use
                > > Skype (or have another VOIP that you're happy with) I want to
                hear from
                > > you!! PLEASE!! Call my cell 2 ten – 2 three 2 – five 3 five 6.
                > >

                > > Thanks!
                > >

                > > Renee/zenfire

              • Lowracer
                Message 7 of 7 , May 28, 2008
                  We use Skype with webcams to call our 2-year-old son's grandparents
                  and other relatives so that he can see and hear them. He's just
                  started to figure out that the people on that screen can react to what
                  he does. It's amazing. Works best if the people on the other end of
                  the conversation make lots of funny faces and wave their hands around.
                  The caller who doesn't move around much bores him quickly, he can't
                  tell it's not a still photo.

                  Best part about Skype: it's free. Sound quality also beats any other
                  telephony system I've used. Used to be that you had to use headset
                  and microphone, but we just talk at the laptop screen and it sounds
                  great. Works on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

                  -Mark
                  aka lowracer
                  San Diego CA

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Renee" <zenfire@...>