Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Earthcaches

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 16 , May 25, 2008
      Speaking of caching in WI, winter caching is a trip! Wendy and I did
      our first winter caching in Milwaukee, WI during a _cold_ winter.
      Thats a completely different style of caching. With fresh powder on
      the ground, good luck looking for cacher tracks leading you as clues
      to the true GZ!

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 12, 2014
        Hi Everyone!

        <rant mode on> As an earthcache owner, I ask that you please remember to actually answer the questions before logging the earthcache. I'm going to be rather ruthless in deleting logs with no answers. <rant mode off>

        Russ the Waterweasel
      • cybercat
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 12, 2014

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 12, 2014
            Hi Russ,
            I thought that was a no brainer rule that cache owners should do! When I first started this silly game I had a guy ask me to take away a find on a virtual even with my picture at the location...The picture was old and I did not display a devise, so I had no argument and removed it myself!
            Maybe a warning and 24 hours to submit answers would be in order?

            My $0.02,

            Shawn/s6sputnik

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 12, 2014
              Oh, everyone gets a warning and a couple of days.  I still delete about half of the visits . . . :-(

              Just thought I'd put the reminder out there since today is Earthcache Day and there will be a flurry of visits.

              Russ the Waterweasel

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 12, 2014
                I don't know if it's the nature of his earthcaches -- they're in spots were many new cachers go -- but Russ does get a LOT of people who don't bother.

                [And at least one got pissy with him about the requirement... really?][Note: don't get pissy or officious with Waterweasel. Just sayin'.]
                Scarier still are those who can't figure out a basic percentile (Aquarena Springs). And the group that, given a 50-50 chance of limestone versus chert/flint decided the wrong way still causes us to chuckle.

                We DO give people about a week between log and no-email warning. And then time after that before deleting.
                We'll even walk you through the questions.
                But it, again, is astounding how many don't bother and don't even reply to the query email.

                We're easy going as earth cache owners -- if you're on vacation, but logging as you go, or logging as you go and not getting to verification emails until the evening, a note to that effect in the log will buy you mercy.
                But 'Wahoo' and then nothing. Not so much.
                Not to mention the cacher who kept relogging (but still ignoring the cache requirements) despite multiple deletions with emails/cause.

                Yeah. You'd think a no brainer... but apparently not so much, despite the "LOGS WITHOUT ACCOMPANYING EMAILS WILL BE DELETED" warning on all our earth caches.

                Grumpy Tygress

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 12, 2014

                  Well, Russ, we hope that at least you won’t go barb-less on us as you delete the logs of clue-less cachers. J

                  I have only committed the faux-pas of not complying with an earth cache’s requirements once, when I submitted a log in my wife’s behalf for a cache in Tennessee that still required a photo (after the edict that photo’s could not be required, incidentally), which we did not have, of her with the structure, even though we had the photo with me and the structure, which was not sufficient. Oh, well, it’s not like you get an award for amassing a certain number of smilies, oh, wait, I guess there are some awards for that, but you don’t get any money for it.

                  I appreciate the effort that you go through to create and ‘maintain’ your earth caches, I know that some folks eventually get tired of the bother. A couple of years ago the owners of several virtuals in Grand Canyon National Park - North Rim that the owners archived after maintaining them for over 10 years because they just got tired of all the folks who could not follow the instructions. So I applaud you for your patience and understand your occasional rant about the lack of ability of certain cachers to follow instructions.

                  --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
                  |+| Georgetown , TX USA

                  <rant mode on> As an earthcache owner, I ask that you please remember to actually answer the questions before logging the earthcache. I'm going to be rather ruthless in deleting logs with no answers. <rant mode off>

                  Russ the Waterweasel

                • Pam Tobias

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 12, 2014
                      Thanks!  Just thought that I'd post a reminder to the group, not that I think most of the group needed it.

                      Russ the Waterweasel

                      Well, Russ, we hope that at least you won’t go barb-less on us as you delete the logs of clue-less cachers. J

                      I have only committed the faux-pas of not complying with an earth cache’s requirements once, when I submitted a log in my wife’s behalf for a cache in Tennessee that still required a photo (after the edict that photo’s could not be required, incidentally), which we did not have, of her with the structure, even though we had the photo with me and the structure, which was not sufficient. Oh, well, it’s not like you get an award for amassing a certain number of smilies, oh, wait, I guess there are some awards for that, but you don’t get any money for it.

                      I appreciate the effort that you go through to create and ‘maintain’ your earth caches, I know that some folks eventually get tired of the bother. A couple of years ago the owners of several virtuals in Grand Canyon National Park - North Rim that the owners archived after maintaining them for over 10 years because they just got tired of all the folks who could not follow the instructions. So I applaud you for your patience and understand your occasional rant about the lack of ability of certain cachers to follow instructions.

                      --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
                      |+| Georgetown , TX USA

                      <rant mode on> As an earthcache owner, I ask that you please remember to actually answer the questions before logging the earthcache. I'm going to be rather ruthless in deleting logs with no answers. <rant mode off>

                      Russ the Waterweasel

                    • Bill Mosley
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 13, 2014
                        IMO, it's a bit unfair to require the e-mail before logging.  The GZ is usually in the wild remote places and signal is weak.  Also it could be uncomfortable to collect and send answers out there.

                        My habit is to claim the find on the phone (awkward enough for me) and send answers, edit log or whatever when I can get to a computer.

                        BUT what makes me go "hmmmm?" about Earth Cache Day:  The souvenir showed up instantly upon claiming without the legitimatizing answers sent.  So if an unengaged person logs the find but gets the answers wrong or doesn't send any, does the souvenir emblem get taken away?

                        Bill Mosley
                        Armadillo Ridge
                        Llano County, Texas

                        For free public domain audio books, some of them by me, visit librivox.org
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 27, 2014
                          Then promise the email... and follow through.
                          You'd be astonished, Bill, how many do not bother. We had one recently get pissy about it. It's disheartening, really. Though their attitude made deleting the log less angsty.

                          I'll give people time -- a week, maybe longer, but a brief note as you log (or in your log) saying: "I'm on the road, I'll do the email I promise," isn't too much to ask, is it? A serious question, that.

                          Caches do not have to be logged that second. There are ways to track your finds without actually logging them (a note, if you must).
                          I rarely log in the field. You can adjust the date as you log, so, unless I'm FTF and want to let people know it's been found, there is no urgency.

                          But everyone has their own drives.

                          As for the souvenir -- don't know what happens with that. But since it's only a few pixels, I barely cared that *I* got it, let alone what others are doing. But souvenirs aren't a big thing for me. My memories, my effort -- that's what matters to me. And other folks' mileage, so long as they aren't getting into my face or others about it, don't trouble me.

                          Challenge yourself as you desire, and have fun!

                          BarbJ = But I'll still insist you do the work for an earthcache = Tygress